Thread: Vioxx, off the market!!

Thanks

Default Vioxx, off the market!!

Please take notice that vioxx is deemed unsafe now, and its distributer pulled it from the market. I was very upset especially because i had not heard anything about it, and its my main med, and also because i have a "new" pain that i was hoping to aliviate, but vioxx is no longer good. something about heart problems, or stroke, and other risks were increased with vioxx.

Thanks

I also heard this on my local news and was SHOCKED :shock: !~ Many people with auto immune illnesses such as lupus and RA or on this med with good respondce to the med :? I tried the med when it first was coming out, however I though I had awful side effects personally, so sorry to all that were having a positive experience :cry: ~HUGGIES~
    Lucy

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi All, I found the following information regarding the Vioxx recall:
    Vioxx (rofecoxib) was launched in 1999 and has become a blockbuster hit for manufacturer Merck & Company.
    Clinical trial data has shown Vioxx increased the risk of blood clots linked to strokes and heart attacks, and after Merck's data safety monitoring board overseeing a long-term Vioxx study confirmed the increased risk of serious cardiovascular events, they recommended the study be halted and a recall be issued.Vioxx was FDA approved as a pain relief drug for arthritis and experienced immediate success, distributed to more than 30,000 pharmacies just eleven days after approval. Vioxx manufacturer has found itself in the middle of lawsuits for the life threatening side effects that have occurred. Vioxx manufacturer, Merck has been warned by the FDA to change their advertising regarding the company's misrepresentation of safety information, unsubstantiated comparative claims, the lack of fair balance, and the misrepresentation of efficacy information.
    Vioxx side effects include diarrhea, nausea, and heartburn, but many patients may be unaware that the risk for Vioxx side effects such as heart attacks are nearly four times greater than those of traditional pain relievers. Vioxx side effects, including heart attacks, were discussed in a report recently released by the Cleveland Clinic. The Vioxx side effects were compared to those of patients treated with standard nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), with Vioxx side effects relating to heart attacks appearing far more commonly in users of Vioxx.

The potential Vioxx side effects, especially those relating to heart trouble, may be related to the attempt to avoid any Vioxx side effects having to do with gastrointestinal problems. NSAIDs inhibit both Cox-1 and Cox-2 enzymes?while Vioxx side effects relating to stomach problems are lower, because VIOXX is only a Cox-2 inhibitor. Potential Vioxx side effects like ulcers are lower, because VIOXX does not affect Cox-1 enzymes that protect the stomach. Vioxx side effects relating to heart problems may result from the inhibiting Cox-2 enzymes, which may prevent clotting.

Vioxx and competitor Celebrex used marketing strategies to try to differentiate themselves from one another, emphasizing small differences until the advantages became extensive and the flaws appeared minimal. The FDA attributed the competition between Vioxx and Celebrex to insufficient warning to doctors and patients of the serious risks and adverse effects of Vioxx. Arthritis affects 40 million people in the U.S. with millions of these people relying on medications like Vioxx for relief.
    Vioxx side effects relating to heart attacks are especially high for patients already at risk for heart problems; Vioxx side effects should be thoroughly discussed with a physician, and anyone taking Vioxx who is experiencing Vioxx side effects should immediately consult an attorney!
    I have put the web address for further information on the web-address forum on this site. I am also listing it here:
    http:www.adrugrecall.com
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie