Thread: Antiphospholipid antibodies

Thanks

Default Antiphospholipid antibodies

Does anyone know how often you should be tested for apls after an initial mildly positive result? As labs improved, the result came back negative and the doctor stopped baby aspirin. Is it safe to assume that with normal labs that the apls result is still negative or should it be monitored from time to time to be safe?
    Thanks so much!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Is he taking medication for the APLS? Was he initially treated with asprin? If so, the normal test results may be due to the medication. I would think, as long as he is on the medication, that monitoring & specific tests would be done in order to see if the medication dosage needs to be changed or discontinued. You mentioned that his other tests were normal, do you know what those tests were?
    Like other autoantibodies in systemic lupus, antiphospholipid antibodies can come and go in an individual. There are many ways to measure these antibodies, and different methods may not always give the same result. Since antiphospholipid antibodies can come and go, how often should doctors check for them in people with lupus depends, mostly, upon the doctor. There are no current recommendations on the timing of repeat tests. I would think that the antiphospholipid antibodies should be checked in people who have had thrombotic problems, or low platelet counts. Some individuals, who had initially been treated with aspirin, have had a second episode of thrombosis and have then been treated with warfarin. Also, some people had a second episode of thrombosis while on warfarin; however, treatment with warfarin appears to be successful overall. Is your son taking Warfarin or any other blood thinners? The length of time that this treatment is necessary is unclear and depends upon your son's symptoms and his doctor. Many doctors recommend long-term or even lifelong treatment to prevent future episodes of thrombosis.
    Did I answer your question?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default More info

Thanks for your response Saysusie- He has been taking Cellcept for 9 months now and was just taken completely off Prednisone after being on it for a full year. He has had CBC and chem panels done as well as his C3 and C4 levels and DNA binding and they all were normal. He also has no blood or protein in his urine. God has truly blessed us.!! He is not taking anything else except Vasotec to protect his kidneys and vitamins. They have not tested for APLS for about 9 months.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

KCsMOM;
    I edited my earlier post to give you a bit more information. Let me know if it helps you.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Thank you so much!

You are always full of so much good information Saysusie!! You definitely answered my question. Thankfully my son has never had problems with clots but I will mention this to his doctor when we see him next time just to be careful. Now that things are going so well, I am just trying to keep it that way. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are most welcome and you are doing the right thing by keeping informed and making sure that things continue to go well! You are a very good Mommy and I am sure that you are much loved for that! :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie