Thread: plus 2 blood in urine

Thanks

Default plus 2 blood in urine

Hey everyone!
    I have plus 2 blood in my urine for a year now. DR not doing much about it. I dont have insurance (I think that might have something to do with why they are not doing much) Does any one know if this is bad? What amount would be bad? Sometimes there is protein too but only sometimes.
    Any info would be great.
    Kathleen Gardo

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kathleen -
    Blood in the urine may or may not be accompanied by pain, but it is always abnormal and should be further investigated by a healthcare professional. Painful blood in the urine can be caused by a number of disorders, including infections and stones in the urinary tract. Painless blood in the urine can also be due to many causes, including cancer. Blood in the urine is also referred to as hematuria. Visible blood in the urine is referred to as gross hematuria, while blood in the urine that is not visible to the naked eye is referred to as microscopic hematuria.Diagnosis begins with a medical history and physical exam. This may be all that is needed to figure out the cause. In most cases, further testing is needed. Different tests may be ordered, depending on the suspected cause.

Blood and urine tests are commonly performed. Special X-ray tests of the kidneys and bladder may also be done. A procedure called a cystoscopy may be needed in some cases. A tiny tube with a light and camera on the end is used. This tube can be inserted into the urethra and pushed up into the bladder. The inside of the urinary tract can be seen with the camera. This may help a doctor discover the source of bleeding.
    # Urine "dipstick": This will probably be the first test performed in the emergency department or medical office. A strip of chemically treated paper is dipped into a cup containing a sample of your urine. The paper will show different colors to indicate the presence of blood, protein, sugar, or infection. The dipstick can give a false-positive result for blood.

# Urinalysis: A formal urinalysis usually follows the dipstick test. Urinalysis is more accurate and gives a better idea of what is causing the bleeding. Protein in the urine, for example, signifies that a kidney problem is causing the hematuria. The urine is examined under a microscope to look for red blood cells and white blood cells, which signify infection.

The results of your tests(depending upon which test you took) are varied depending upon your age, sex, weight, etc. Urinalysis results can have many interpretations. Normal urinalysis results do not mean there is no illness. Urinalysis is only one screening test that can provide a general overview of a person?s health. Your doctor must correlate the urinalysis results with your health complaints and other information available.
    Numerically reported test results are interpreted according to the test's reference range, which may vary, as with other tests, by your age, sex, as well as the instrumentation or kit used to perform the test. A specific result within the reference (normal) range ? for any test ? does not ensure health just as a result outside the reference range may not indicate disease. It would be much too difficult for me to give you a definate answer. To learn the reference range for your test, consult your doctor or the lab that ran the test.
    I hope that I have been a little helpful to you!
    Best of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thank you so much for info
    went to DR today for disability assesment. I asked about the blood in urine. She said it was very common with lupus and not much can be done.
    Most cases may lead to kidney damage. Funny thing .....she said I should consider using a wheelchair. I am walking ok..never really thought of it as a problem. my joints dislocate easily but I am just careful. I was shocked so I did not discuss it with her in detail. I dont know what to think. Thank you again for info it is very helpful
    Kathleen Gardo

Thanks

Kathleen - I have Nephritis, so have had protein and blood in my urine and been seeing a Nephrologist on a regular basis. I know that they are much more concerned about the protein levels in my urine than the blood.

Good luck with your disability claim!

Missy