Thread: Question....

Thanks

Default Question....

Ok, so I have yet to get a final DX, and I am very new to this, so I have a question for you all.
    The sun has never really bothered me and I have never had a malar rash (although I do tend to get a "heat rash" as I have always called it on my arms and upper chest area when I am out in the sun.
    Yesterday the kids wanted to go to the beach - I always feel like they shouldn't have to compromise for my sake and since the past week both myself and my hubby had been unwell I really wanted to take them. I put my 50 sunscreen on, covered up (mostly) doned a hat and off we went. We were out for 3 hrs or so. Within about an hour of getting home I was feverish, had the chills, no energy and just plain hurt all over. I felt (well still do) like I had the flu. Is this what happens to other people or do I have the flu? Since I am newly dx with some CTD, and have yet to get an actual Lupus DX (I see the RH today with my test results) I don't want to second guess anything. Also I am really just recently going through probably my first major flare.

Any input would be great.
    Cheer, Batch007
    Life is a highway, remember, you choose your direction.

Thanks

Hi Batch,

I think that you are sunsensitive. I mean not everyone who is sensitive to the sun gets a rash. I never really got the real telltale rashes, but I sure would get deathly sick from the sun. I would get the flu like symptoms, very severe headache to the point of throwing up and yes I would run a low grade fever. I have even passed out a couple of times and had very severe bouts of sneezing and dizzyness. My doctor explained to me that that is sun sensitivity. I do get the malar rash, but not very often. I would like to know if you sunburn through your car windows? I know this sounds like a weird question to ask, but people with Lupus do sunburn through the car windows. My Rheumatologist told me this. A big mistake that a lot of people make is that when it is overcast outside that they are free to be outside as long as they like. They fail to realize that the UV rays are still there and can really cause serious problems. I just thought that I would add that here. You need to let the doctor know that this happened to you as it will help in a diagnosis. Good luck.

Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

For me ... the sun sucks the life out of me. My limbs feel like sacks of wet clay, and I just want to sleep and sleep and all my joints ache.

Some times I'm more sensative than others. I'll break out in sunblisters all over my face.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

For me, I also feel like I have a bad case of the flu. I do not get a rash, I feel sore, achy, feverish, tired, beat up, and just SICK!!!
    Three hours in the sun, for us, is a long time - even with sunscreen and covering up. Perhaps, next time, you can take a big umbrella as well as a light weight blanket (as well as the items that you already took and the precautions that you already took) to cover yourself if you want to spend 2-3 hours in the sun. We have to remember that we cannot endure UV or UVA rays for any length of time.

Get some rest, drink lots of fluids, and try to overcome this little flare! Don't give up...just be more cautious.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!