Thread: Skin Products

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Skin Products

What skin products do you recommend? I seem to be developing all sorts of skin manifestations I have never had before. I would like to know what hair, body wash and shower products are known to NOT aggrevate Lupus.... I get really itchy legs.

I have several rashes, according to my doc are different manifestations of Lupus but this is a new one, the itchy legs after a shower. I've tried, only washing my hair - itchy, only washing my skin, itchy (different products), tried the shave cream, itchy... all once I leave the shower it starts to itch like crazy. Is it the water or product. Everything I use is hypoallergenic and the body wash has been Aveeno Oatmeal bodywash as recommended but I don't know if it's dry skin being aggrevated or what...

Any ideas and any recommended products?

Thanks, my itchy legs thank you too!
    Jen
    Love, Laugh and Live Hard...

Thanks

Default Skin Products

Hi Jen,

I too suffer with itching after taking a shower. The insides of my knees and tops of feet go very ref and blotchy and itch like mad and this is quite recent for me. I am forever changing products and I still have it. I guessed it was due to the heat of the water, I know that sounds stupid. I always find that it dies down once my body temperature starts to cool? I sometimes use an E45 lotion on it. (sorry from UK, i dont know what the brand name is in US). So maybe turn the heat down a little? Or try a PH neutrual brand, Garnier do a nice one.

I have always suffered with itchiness, sometimes without rashes. My rhemy suggests this could be be because of the medications. I also get very bad rashes, which i again use the thick E45 cream for slight relief. In the summer, the rashes i get worsen and they bubble and blister over most parts of body, particulary the legs. I haven't seen a doctor when I have had this as I am newly diagnosed even though I have had probs for years and typically I dont have an appointment with them when it is like this. So i use over the counter steroid cream which provides some relief until the sun dissapears for winter.

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help than that, I just hope you find it a comfort that we share something similar in this itchy business?

Carly

Thanks

Default Skin Products

Hi Jen, me again.

Just wanted to apologise, have only noticed you are in Canada not US -oops.
    Also that Rheumy has said to me before that rediness and itching is a sign of inflamation? Hmm not to sure about that one?

Carly

Thanks

Not meaning to be a know it all but i was a nurse prescriber until last year. E45 contains lanolin and many people are allergic to it--not the best choice for us allergic lupies.
    Cream based we have Diprobase here in Uk not sure if you get in USa but lovely cream. If skin very dry we use Epaderm with is a paraffin based grease--brilliant for skin and you can buy in England without prescrition. Hope that helps

Love Val

Thanks

I haven't tried this one, but the radio station i listen to, the lady talks about itchiness after her shower. She swears by Goldbond lotion. She says it is kind of hard to find. Where we live, it would be at a Walgreens or CVS. Now it has to be the lotion, not cream, although I cant imagine the difference. I know that it is random, but hey, it's worth a shot.

When I'm having skin problems, I wash with Paul Mitchell ' Baby don't cry ' shampoo. Its very gentile.
    angie

Thanks

I've been treating it as fungus and it works! I've used tolfonate spray, and now urine before a shower. It sounds like the same problem I have. At this point I think I have lupus as I have many of the symptoms, but haven't seen a doctor about it. Anyway, treatments for fungus work for me when nothing else would. I think maybe lupus makes our skin susceptible.