Thread: Descrimination due to Lupus?

Thanks

Default Descrimination due to Lupus?

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone of the posters in here have ever been descriminated against in their life, because of Lupus and rashes. I know I sure have. Forget about dating when I was a teenager, because that was not happening. I had that nasty blistery rash all over the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet and on my fingers. It was terrible. I posted pictures on another post of what they appeared like at their worst. I could not find any pictures on the net to describe what the rash looked like, but Oluwa, bless her heart, directed me to a site where these pictures were and boy it was just like what I have along with Lupus and Sjogrens. I was literally forced out of HS by the principal thanks to the rash on my hands and feet. At the time I also had Lupus symptoms, but I did not know a thing about Lupus. I tried to get my parents to go to the school and try to get me back in, but that was a no go. My parents were abusive, but we won't go there. I have lost jobs due to my hands and due to the Lupus. I can not get disability at all. I have tried several times. My doctor told me that you have to be half dead. I know that is a crock. Well thanks for letting me vent some.

Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Kathy,

I am sorry you had to experience such separation, disparity at a young age. No one should experience it at any age, and for any reason. Their ignorance, your principle is still no excuse for such behavior.

Humans, we always seem to find something to separate, discriminate, us from others. Diseases, wealth, race, size, looks, education, car, sex beliefs, disabilities...on and on....

It hurts in any circumstances...head hug.

Sorry you grew-up with abuse. For every unkind word or action it takes hundreds or words and actions to undo the damage. I hope you are finding your way to feeling better, well-being even if kind words or actions haven't occurred from the abusers.

Have you used a Disability attorney for SSA? Maybe you doctor isn't filing the paperwork properly...anything omitted worded wrong can be a no go...perhaps try again with a lawyer...

Vent, yell, laugh, cry...joke...chat up..all is heard and welcomed. Vent, I've did it a several times myself..

Happy Friday...
    Hugs,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Kathy,
    Im so sorry to hear of the problems you had due to a condition which is out of your control. Regarding the SSDI, have you tried an attorney who specializes in disability. I think there are some here who know about it more than I do.
    But, I can tell you this: I was denied twice...However, I did not take advantage of the appeal process which was offered to me. I was told by several people at the disability office that most people will be denied - almost no matter what - on their first try. Then you appeal, and chances are you will still be denied. However, on the third try, when you go before the judge, they all told me that almost ALWAYS, the judge - seeeing that you are still pursuing it, and hearing things in your words rather than on paper - will approve it. At the time of my application, i was foggy due to pain meds, and apathetic about everything, so I did not pursue it the way I should have. My bad...
    Anyway, we are all allowed three applications....but I still think an atty. is your best shot. I think they take a small portion of your fee - which - who cares? if youre getting what you ARE ENTITLED TO! Dont forget...SSDI (disability) is YOUR money which has been put aside all the years you have been working. It does not come from any Federal fund, its your money!! (Thats what really P's me off). Im sure some others will be along to tell you more. This was just what I was told and my experience. I hope you do decide to pursue it.....
    Love, Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

Lawyer fee, I believe across the country it is a set fee. If you are denied, no fee is paid. If you win your appeal, they recover their fee from the back pay from the very first date you applied for SSDI.

The fee is taken out automatically from my understanding.

Don't quote me on this, but I think it is fairly accurate..

Keep well,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Default Re: Descrimination due to Lupus?

Quote Originally Posted by KathyW1958
    Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone of the posters in here have ever been descriminated against in their life, because of Lupus and rashes. I know I sure have. Forget about dating when I was a teenager, because that was not happening. I had that nasty blistery rash all over the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet and on my fingers. It was terrible. I posted pictures on another post of what they appeared like at their worst. I could not find any pictures on the net to describe what the rash looked like, but Oluwa, bless her heart, directed me to a site where these pictures were and boy it was just like what I have along with Lupus and Sjogrens. I was literally forced out of HS by the principal thanks to the rash on my hands and feet. At the time I also had Lupus symptoms, but I did not know a thing about Lupus. I tried to get my parents to go to the school and try to get me back in, but that was a no go. My parents were abusive, but we won't go there. I have lost jobs due to my hands and due to the Lupus. I can not get disability at all. I have tried several times. My doctor told me that you have to be half dead. I know that is a crock. Well thanks for letting me vent some.

Kathy
    Hi Kathy,
    I'm sorry to hear all the trouble your having or had with the discrimanation. I kinda felt that way when I've had a few jobs but now I just stay home with my kids, which is good in a way.
    I'm trying right now to get on Disablity, I'm not sure if I'll get on it but I'll try anyways.
    Take care,
    Dona

Thanks

Hi Dona,
    I have tried and tried to get on disability and am thinking of changing doctors, not because my doctor is incompetent, but that he will not in anyway help me to get disability. He tells me that a person has to be half dead. I know that that is not true and that makes me mad. I have worked a lot of years of my life and am not working now, because I had to have a disc in my back replaced with a resin disc in December of 07. My husband tells me not to worry about it, but shoot I worked and paid into Social Security for years and I feel that I am entitled to the benefit. I see people getting it that do not have a life threatening illness. I hope that you can get it. The last time I got turned down, the reason that they gave me is that we have to much money and two cars, a hose and a farm incorporation. It was disgusting. Oh well. I do hope you get it ok.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:

Thanks

Kathy,
    Thats horrible...disability is not based on INCOME, its based on the disability!! Where I live, there are people on it who are chronic alcoholics and addicts - and they qualify. You do not have to be half dead...thats boloney!
    Definately try again with an atty. Also, they will have you see THEIR doctors if your doctor wont cooperate - that I know for sure..it happened to me. (I jsut didnt go...my bad)
    Good luck and please - keep pursuing what is rightfully yours -
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

Hi Lauri,
    I am definitely going to try again for it. I thought that you would need your doctor to speak for you as this is what I was told by the Social Security office. I was totally confused on that and saddened when my Rhuematologist told me that he would not give me a recommendation and he told me that I can work. I think my doctor is full of **it as well. I have seen drunkerds getting disability to so that they can keep right on drinking their life away and that infuriates me to no end. I have a brother-law who is getting full disability for depression. I don't think it is fair at all. I did not elect to get this rotten illness, but a drunk does and should not in anyways be allowed to get disability. Am I wrong in my thoughts here? I am sorry, but right now my knee and foot hurt and well I am just disgusted with the way the Social Security does people. I mean the unfrairness of it.

Kathy

Medications:

Thanks

Kathy,
    Your frustration is understandable. Start the process over again. With all your medical issues I cant imaging you would be denied for good (maybe the first time - like I said - they deny most all 1st attemmpt) But you really need to be persistant, which, in itself, is unfair.
    I'll never forget how upset I was when I was in the SS Office and there was a sign on the wall that said "How to get Disability if you're a non-citizen" What??? A non-citizen can't have a disability account if they havent been working!! The system stinks - and that is not the word I wanted to use. But, determined people get it everyday....
    Keep on trucking!!
    Love, Lauri