Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covering up the Butterfly Rash

Thanks

Default Covering up the Butterfly Rash

Hi,

I am just curious on how other's deal with the butterfly rash... is there a good cream that will reduce/eliminate it? Does anyone use/recommend a cover up makeup?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I haven't found one that does an excellent job. My malar rash left a dark scar over my nose and I have tried several concealers to hide them.....they are just OK. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions for both of us :P

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

JohnyBGood..BWell..

You being a guy, how far do you want to go to look made up...

You know why women wear makeup? We were born without a face...

Okay...well, to be not so obvious, maybe you can go with a finish dusting powder to tone the brightness away. Your wife may have something already or find one similar to you complexion and use a full brush and dust. Dust very lightly with fast sweeping strokes, so as not to see a makeup line...

As for care, use mild soaps. Hey, use your son's baby liquid soap. Anything he uses, will be great to cleanse with...and his lotion too.

Oh, they do have lotion with a touch of tint, complexion tone in it...that may work..check it out...

I mentioned Cetaphil, it comes in a liquid or bar for cleansing. As of late I use Garnier moisture cream. The less junk in it, like apha hydroxy, , the abc of anti wrinkle gunk, stay away from...too harsh. Avoid vaseline..to heavy to absorb...

Splash your after shave on your neck to feel like your morning routine was complete if you use...

Maybe Rob, Morpheus, Teriod will have a regime recommendation...

Saysusie..
    .is your scar darker that your complexion? Do you normally use a foundation? Have you tried to dab a lighter than your skin concealer on the scar, then follow up by dabbing your foundation...and then let your fingers melt it, blend it by dabbing with your ring finger. Sponges don't give it that set finished your your skin look like a finger does..

Just dab with the ring finger...layer it till you see it disappear.

We are usually lighter under the eyes, along the jaw line and middle of forehead. Darker on the nose from forehead to tip and the apples of our cheeks...

Work with two colors of foundation....

Play, paint one night at home and see what you come up with...

A recent good find...I use Maybelline Pure makeup..in a light blue tube. Shine free foundation with H20, oil free. Light in wear..I like it. Being of light complexion, the two colors I use are Ivory 1Light and pure beige 2medium..

Maybe that will be a good product for you too Johnny....it is light enough in texture...looks invisible but it covers..won't look so made-up. Check out you two.

Hugs,
    Love,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Oluwa, you're an artist! (And yes, we women have to "put on our face" to face the world.... :lol:

I'm a klutz when it comes to blending, etc, but Oluwa's described how to do it beautifully. I"ve also heard of using small sponges (single use only) that are made for putting on makeup. Just practice, and try to use the same type light you'll be seen in most of the day (sunlight, flourescent, incadescent, etc...)

There's a product you can find at places that specialize in makeup called something on the order of "Dermakote" - it is made to cover up blemishes, birthmarks, etc. It is expensive, but I'm told it works wonders.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

i have found that a green concealer (bear with me) blended just over the darkest area of the malar rash helps even out the tone of the red. eliminating the green is easily done with a liquid foundation. practive makes perfect and if you blend well enough it will look like a regular even skin tone! =D i hope it works for you too!

Thanks

Hi again.

Thanks very much to all of you for your comments and recommendations.. I will definitely see what can work for me...

...Has anyone tried any hydrocortisone creams? I have and I am not sure.. sometimes it seems to work and other times it seems to bring the rash out more...

Thanks

Hi JohnnyBGood..BWell...

You're welcome. Trial and error...something will work to lessen the looks...are you wearing your 75SPF...check sunscreen thread for recommendations that Saysusie posted....

Hydrocortisone I don't thing ever gets rid of it...I've never tried it on my whole face. I think I dab it on a spot or two..but I do know steroid cream thins the skin. So use it lightly...

I have a prescription Aristicort...aka Triamcinolon cream. I just use it on my other body parts. I'll ask at my neck RheumBA visit...

Be kind to you skin...pat dry, no harsh stuff..

Be well.
    Hugs,
    Oluwa

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oluwa;
    My scar is much, much darker than my skin. In fact, it is almost black and mixing colors and using lighter concealer has not worked, so far. I did go to a dermatologist who suggested using a purple (yes, purple) concealer and it has done the best so far. I have yellow undertones in my brown skin and I tried a yellow concealer...ugh, that was an ugly sight :P
    My butterfly rash was red and raw for years and, when it finally started to heal, most of it left no scar. But, the areas that did scar were/are 6 shades darker than my skin. Add that to my raccoon eyes and, without makeup, I am quite scary looking.
    Currently, I am using MAC foundation and I do use two colors and mix them. I have extremely oily skin, so I cannot use liquid foundation (in an hour, it rolls right off my face - lol). I am going to take your advice and play with the two colors and the concealer to see if I can get something that I like and doesn't look like caked on make-up. Thanx for the suggestions :lol:
    I'll let you know how it works!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Saysusie,

I too use MAC but I never though about mixing the two, I believe they can show you how to though. I also have oily skin. Do you use a different color in the summer?

Does anyone use some type of sunblock underneath their make-up? It seems like the sun is just eating my face alive.

Thanks

Hey JohnnyBGood,.

I also found that steroid creams makes the rash more red the next day. Although I have to say my doc gave me the super-duper steroid cream called Betamethasone and I can only use a tiny tiny dot of it on a rash. (else I will look like my wife slapped me a few times last night--for like a month). I hear hydrocortisone is weaker but I suspect it will do the same thing.

I alternate the use of the steroid cream and it seems to work ok.

Asa bloke it is hard to cover up--especially if your job means you have to meet a lot of people.

I try to stand next to my uglier colleagues most of the time just so I look better.