Ok here goes. I am 49 years old. I have been sick most of my life with Lupus symptoms. I started getting mouth sores at the age of 5 years old. When I was 7 years old, I ended up with several bouts of carbuncles on my legs below the knees. It was terrible. My parents would not take me to the doctor for the carbuncles and now I have really bad scares from them. Well at the age of about 10 I started my menstrual cylcle and that is when the sun really started bothering me big time. I started getting killer headaches and joint pain. My knees and feet and hands would hurt all the time. At the age of 12 years old I developed an ugly blistery rash on the palms of my hands and bottems of my feet. I would get the blisters all over my toes and fingers. I could not get it to clear up at all. I started going to doctors and they did not do much for me. It was sad. In my early 20's the knee pains got a lot worse. I started just plain not feeling good at all. What would get me is that I would get so terribly sick and then get better. Well at the age of 35 I caught the Chickenpox and got over that. Well after that I got sicker then I had ever been in my life. This is when the malar rash appeared on my face for the first time. I started losing my hair by the handful. I started having problems breathing and the joint pain etc was even worse. I was constantly short of breath. I started going to doctor after doctor and told them right out that my sister has SLE and could they please test me for it. They would not listen to me at all. I would be told things like oh you are worrying needlessly and that Lupus is not inherrited. I nearly died before I got a doctor to even listen to me and take the time to test me for Lupus. The tests all indicated Lupus with the speckle pattern ANA of 1:360 or something like that and my sedrate was way out there. My serum compliments were all low and my white cell out was very low as well. Well within 3 days of seeing the regular doctor I was sitting in the office of a Rheumatologist. The Rheumatologist told me right out that I have one of the most classic cases of SLE that he had seen in years and that due to my history of symptoms that I most likely had it from the age of 5 years old. Now I have PA (pernicious anemia) and have to take vitamin B12 shots every month for the rest of my life. Is this common with Lupus? Just wondering. Sorry the post is so long.