Thread: What to do....

Thanks

Default What to do....

Hi everyone, it's been a while.

For about two months, I've been seeing a psychiatrist. The main reason why I went to see one is because of IBS/anxiety. Well, I knew for about five months now that I've been depressed, and it hasn't been getting any better. So, the second appt. I had with the psychiatrist, I told her how I have been feeling. She said it's depression.

Well, I've been seeing her once a week for about two months now, and I was given anti-anxiety meds to take as needed (which work well) and I have been on two different anti-depressants. The first one I couldn't handle the side effects. The one I am on now contributes to constipation, which I already have a problem with (IBS-C). Well, today she told me to go down to 20mg of the anti-depressant. That is such a low dose, I feel that I will never get better with the depression, and it is so hard each day. I see her once a week for a half hour, and except for the first two appts., I feel nothing has been accomplished.

So, now I don't know what to do. I am sick of experimenting with meds and doctors, and depression is hard, and I dread everything. Part of me wants to quit the anti-depressants and quit seeing a psychiatrist and basically give up and quit fighting the depression and try to live with it, and the other part of me wants to keep trying with the anti-depressant and "therapy" visits, even though I feel nothing is accomplished during the visits. And seeing another psychiatrist is not an option, the one I have now is my only hope, as I do not want to start jumping around to different doctors, I just don't have the energy.

Will this depression ever get better? I feel like I am getting worse each day. What do I do about the anti-depressant and my psychiatrist? She is really nice and listens and everything, it's just as I feel nothing gets accomplished, and I leave each appt. halfway in tears of hopelessness and go home and cry.

I have one more question. I had a low C4 of 10, and the lowest in the reference range was 16. Is mine low enough to mean something?

Someone who has been through this, please tell me something, this is rough. Any advice is much appreciated.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Gisele,

With all that's been going on, I haven't talked about this much yet. I started seeing a psychologist back when I first found this site. I've been struggling with depression on and off for awhile now, but it got really bad after my breakup and move. I opted to not take any meds for the time being, as I have had terrible side effects in the past from various anti-depressants. The majority of anti-depressants out there take time to have an effect. Sometimes a few months, and the effects can be very gradual. If you can tolerate the side effects, you may want to consider doing your best to stay on them. Talk to your psychologist about it though. Let her know what's going on both physically, and mentally. It sounds like you have a good one, they seem easier to find than say, a good rheumo (ha ha). My depression has caused such feelings of helplessness, despair, and doom. I found a good female psych, because I can't let my guard down to another man. She really listens. I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere with her though until I finally broke down in front of her. All 6 feet 200 pounds of me crumpled up like a little kid, on the floor crying. After that, We really got to the issues that have been my problems, and I feel I'm making progress. Maybe you just need to have something like that happen. I'm certainly far from better, but I have made improvement, and thats more than good enough for me. Try to stick with her Gisele. By all means, tell her of all your side effects with the meds. And know that what you are going through, others, like me, are going through as well. I know, it all feels so hopeless for you right now. It's not. Talking to people has been a huge part of dealing with my depression. People here at first, and then people in my daily life as I got courage. I was so isolated. Please hang in there, and you can pm me if you ever need to.

Rob

PS- Not sure what to tell you about low C4. Someone elso here can
    probably help with that.

Thanks

Hugs Gisèle

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through all that. I agree with Rob, stay on the meds but also tell you doctor everything you just wrote here. Let them know you're feeling like nothing is helping and you havd doubts about what to do from here. Let them work on it with you. You have to think of this person as a partner in your well being.

Hang in there and keep in touch with us, let us know how you are doing.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

hi Gisele - sending you hugs and wishes for wellness. You are so brave in already seeking help here and professionally for your depression and IBS. That takes a lot of courage and there are a lot of people out there that haven't even done that!

It seems you have two options, since things aren't going the way you'd like right now. 1. Let your psych know how you are feeling and that you are disappointed that you are not feeling better and very nervous about going down in dosage on the ant-depressant. Be assertive with your needs and honest about your feelings. You may want to write them down, so that you don't forget or chicken out of telling her. 2. If you don't think you can get what you need from her and have a good idea about what you do think you need, start a search for a new counselor. MAybe you don't need a psychiatrist. Maybe your MD can manage your meds and IBS and a counselor can just focus on emotional/psychological issues.

I wish you the bery best of luck. You desrve to feel better and I have faith that you will. Only you know the best way that will work for you.
    Missy

Thanks

Hang in there and don't feel bad about listening to your body and feeling you know what's best for you, voice it.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Gisele;
    I just want to piggy back on what Rob said. After the loss of my daughter, I went into a very deep, clinical depression and was seeing a psychiatrist 3xs/week. Like you, in the beginning, I felt that nothing was being accomplished and I was not trustworthy with taking my medications because I felt as if nothing would help me.
    I've since learned that, being in therapy is a process and that process cannot be rushed. The best way to deal with it is to be completely honest and completely open. I mean, there were times when I actually cursed out my psychiatrist because I didn't like what he was saying. But, even that episode turned out to be a breakthrough for me because I was able to discover why I was so antagonistic about that particular subject. The most important part of getting help is wanting help and, therefore, staying with it until you are helped. Don't give up!
    Also, as Rob suggested, do try to stay on your medication. Talk to your psychiatrist about the dosage and how you are feeling. The medication along with the therapy, both take adjustment until you find a dosage and a rhythm that works for you.
    I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Sayusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!