Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP-Bruises all over the place!

Thanks

Default HELP-Bruises all over the place!

Hello Family,

I wore a skirt today and noticed a had a HUGE bruise on the back of my leg. I don't remember hitting anything or vice versa, and this has been happening alot lately. I used to have really pretty legs now they look like I've been beat with a bat. Some of the smaller bruises I have had for awhile, like months but they don't hurt at all.

Has anyone experienced this? I was wondering if it was probably from the prednisone? Any ideas on what I can do?

I don't mean to sound vein but it's the summer and I would like to be able to keep some type of femininity without looking like leopard.

Thanks

Hey Pretti in Pink

It's worth worrying about. I suggest you take a pic of your legs and get in to see your doctor. Let them know that you are bruising that easily.

I remember my mother doing that. You could touch her gentley and she'd come up in a bruise. She also burn easily, she was filling the sink up to do the dishes and a drop of hot water hit her finger and she came up in a blister right infront of my eyes.

Let your doctor know.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Oh, PiP, I'm sorry you've got the battered leg look going on! Me too...and battered everything else, too. Yeah, I think it's the prednisone. I've always got bruises, and sometimes they just appear - even on the backs of my hands. I don't bump them....they just appear. And when I do bump something, the bruise looks awful. Just like you describe - like I've been hit with a bat! I suppose there are other reasons this can happen, but my doc did tell me that I'd bruise easily on prednisone. I don't know if there's anything we can do to prevent them. My legs aren't what they used to be, so capris are about as leg-revealing as it gets for me!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Jody...that worries me,

Have you let your doctor know who easily you are bruising? I'm a worry wart about bruising.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

I have, but she hasn't said much about it. Just that prednisone causes increased bruising. I'll mention it again, though...you're sweet to be a 'worry wart', SITC.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Jody-I'm glad someone can relate, it's not pretty. I am going to bring it up to my doctor but afraid I will probably get the same response as you because I have another friend that's on prednisone and the same happens to him but he is not as fair skin as I so it's not as noticeable.

I asked my husband why he tell me about the "big" bruise on my leg and he said you always get those little spots so I did pay attention. That didn't make me feel any better, but he came back and tried to clean it up after he realized how it came out. But you know now I'll be self conscious, back to the pants.

SITC- don't worry we'll check in w/ the docs and be okay. You're a sweetie.

Thanks

Hi Pretti in Pink.........

I've been on Prednisone for 26 years now, and, yes, it definitely causes bruising very easily. I always have small bruises, mostly on my legs, that are not related to any bumping or accident. They don't hurt at all, just look terrible. I'm also very fair skinned and it drives me crazy to have legs that look like someone beats me.

The Prednisone causes the walls of your capilliaries to be weakened and they 'burst' easy. It doesn't necessarily have to be from bumping something or injuring yourself, they can just do it on their own. Usually, if they burst, it just bleeds a little and causes a small bruise.

And when you do actually bump or hit a body part really hard, and they burst, that's even uglier. It will go from a regular bruise, to seeping blood through your tissues right under the surface of the skin and can spread out into a huge bruise. It can also cause a very painful, stinging feeling while it's seeping. I hate that part.

My Doc told me long ago not to worry about it. That it looks worse than it is. I even had it happen in one of my eyes once. I woke up one morning and the entire white of my eye was blood red. It was scary. I called my Lupus Doc and he got me in right away. He said it was most likely from the Prednisone, but had me see an Opthamologist that day. The eye Doc confirmed that my eyes were fine, it was the Prednisone. It took about a week to completely go away.

Because of this, I've learned over the years, that whenever I have my blood drawn, if the person doing it jiggles the needle in my vein too much, it starts the seeping blood and I end up with a gigantic bruise down my arm. Now, anytime I get my blood drawn, I make sure to tell the person before they start that I've been on long-term Prednisone and I bruise very easily. They seem to know exactly what that means and they're more gentle. (At least most of them)

I know there are a few other conditions that can cause bruising on your extremities that can be pretty serious, so it's always a good thing to tell/show your own Doctor.

I hope this is helpful.

We sound a little alike.....fair skinned (I call it extremely white), bruised legs, sportin' our capris, missin' our shorts. :lol:

Take care,

Lori

Thanks

Thanks Lori for the explanation, you hit the nail on the head and explained exactly what I am experiencing. It's weird that the primary location is on the legs- weird. Well, at least I'm not alone in this.

Thanks

Your Welcome Pretti....

I did discover something that works pretty well to 'camoflauge' the more noticeable bruises. About a year ago, I decided to start wearing a little makeup again, since I was feeling better. I saw the infomercials on TV for the Bare Minerals makeup that's so popular right now. I really didn't like the liquid foundation makeup cuz it's so fake looking if you don't get it just right and it's smeary and messy to deal with. I spent plenty of time with that in my teenage years.

I finally decided to try the Bare Minerals and I absolutely LOVE IT!! It's amazing stuff. I never feel like I have makeup on and it gives great coverage. It's like airbrushing. Covers all my flaws....freckles, pimples, little red rashes that pop up on your face, and my small circular scars from Lupus lesions I've had in the past.

One day, I decided to try it on a small bruise I had on the back of my leg. I used just a little bit, didn't try to completely cover it, I just wanted to lessen the purplish colors. And it worked really well.

I did feel funny putting makeup on my legs. Not something I thought I'd ever be doing. :lol: But it's been a nice option when those annoying bruises appear, and I want to wear a skirt or dress. It makes me feel just a little less self conscious.

Just thought I'd share what's worked for me.

Hope today is a good one for you...........

Lori

Thanks

Thanks, that is a good idea. Who would know it was make-up, it's all about making you feel better and now me too because I am going to try some. You know all ladies want to put on their pretty little dresses