Thread: Confused

Thanks

Default Confused

Hello,

I'm getting so confused. What symptom is from what. I have RA, SLE, Hashi's Thyroid, and ITP. Allot of my symptoms are in each disorder. What is causing what I'm going through. Does it really matter? I guess since they are all basically from the same problem, it makes sense the symptoms would overlap.

What do I watch for, what's next on the agenda for my immune system? What do I watch for so that I can prevent more damage from Lupus. I don't know if what I'm doing in my every day life is causing me more damage. A few weeks before I found out I had Hashi's, I wasn't taking my MTX. I was in one of those, "I don't need it, my RA isn't that bad." way of thinking. Pure denial. Did my not taking my MTX cause my immune system to target my thyroid? If I had known that Lupus was behind all my problems, I wouldn't have stopped taking my MTX.

I do feel relieved that "it" now has a name. I just don't know what happens from here.

Debbie Mc

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Debbie;
    Yes, many of your symptoms are overlapping, especially those associated with RA and SLE and Hashimoto's Thyroid. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is a type of autoimmune thyroid disease in which the immune system attacks and destroys the thyroid gland. The thyroid helps set the rate of metabolism - the rate at which the body uses energy. Hashimoto’s prevents the gland from producing enough thyroid hormones for the body to work correctly. It is the most common form of Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).
    You are dealing with three autoimmune diseases (An autoimmune disease occurs when the body's immune system becomes misdirected and attacks the organs, cells or tissues that it was designed to protect. About 75% of autoimmune diseases occur in women, most frequently during their childbearing years) and the symptoms are bound to overlap because of this. The most common overlappiing symptoms will probably be fatigue, depression, and sensitivity to cold and/or heat, weight fluctuations, muscle weakness, constipation, muscle cramps, body aches and menstrual dysfunction. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism. It is also most prevalent in elderly women and tends to run in families. Hashimoto's thyroiditis occurs eight times more often in women than men.
    I could find no information linking MX with the onset of Hashimoto's Thyroid...it is an autoimmune response as is RA & SLE. This is a question that you should pose to your doctor.
    Are you taking medication for your thyroid condition? Have you resumed taking your MX? Are you also taking prednisone?
    Let us know how you are doing and if we can help you in any way!!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hello Saysusie. It's nice to meet you. Thanks so much for the information. I guess it really doesn't matter what is causing what symptoms. I just have to follow my doctors instructions. I know that guilt is part of the acceptance process. I forgot about that phase. There are allot more emotions I'll face before I'm able to fully accept Lupus.

I am taking MTX now, been on it about 6 weeks now. My RA is doing fine, only mild flare ups of joint pain. I was having some trouble with my left jaw, but it's finally starting to feel better. I've been trying to refrain from chewing hard, crunchy and chewy things so my jaw can rest. It seems to be helping, plus I'm sure the MTX is helping to calm things down too.

I'm weined off of prednisone in March after taking 80mg a day for the ITP that hit in December, and I think that's also when the Haushi's really started. My hair was falling out by the handfulls and I thought it was just from the withdrawals of the prednisone or the MTX. Guess not. I'll learn to report all my symptoms to my doctor.

Thank you for your post.

Debbie Mc

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi :lol:
    Yes, make sure that you keep your doctor advised of ALL of your symptoms. I still go to my rheumy with a list of symptoms and I insist that she deal with each thing on that list (it is a good thing, because I was able to find thyroid cancer in the very early stages and have it removed and treated immediately!!)
    You are the only one who truly knows your body, its symptoms and when something is not quite right. Therefore, you must insist that your doctors listen to you and take you seriously.
    Depression and denial are very common in our disease, especially when we have so many symptoms to deal with. Almost all of us are on some form of anti-depressant and/or are participating in some type of therapy. Sometimes, just participating in this forum can be theraputic!!
    I wish you the best! We are here for you to provide support, information and a place where you can feel accepted!
    Peace and BLessings
    Saysusie