Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road trip

Thanks

Default Road trip

Just a quick note...I'm going on a road trip down to the south shore. Probably wont be back till sometime sunday. Have a good weekend all and stay safe.

Hugssss :multi:
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Enjoy yourself....be safe.

HUgs,
    Oluwa

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Have fun Susan. On Sunday I'll be out sailing near Bar Harbor and Egg Rock Lighthouse. It's only about 100 miles from Bar Harbor Maine to Yarmouth Nova Scotia. I'll look east, stand up really tall, and wave to you! If you squint really hard, you might see me. Have a good time, and enjoy yourself. You deserve it.

Thanks

I'll wear my bright red sunglasses and they are reflective so I'll send ya a coded message, hmmm supposed to be rainy and icky all weekend...
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Have a blast, SITC - ignore the rain and just relax anyway! (Sunny here - but cold! The Big Lake does it every time....

Rob, Bar Harbor....Egg Rock Lighthouse? Sounds just fantastic! I've never sailed. There are sailboat races every Wednesday evening in the harbor and my hubby and I love to go down to the shore (of Lake Superior) to watch. Hubby would love to learn to sail - maybe sailing lessons would be a good father's day gift, huh? Enjoy your day, Rob.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hi Jody,

I had always wanted to learn about sailing, and ocean going boats in general. Turns out my father has always been interested in it too. After I moved back to Maine, that was all the reason we needed to get a boat, and take some courses that the Coast Guard gives for free. This will be our third year sailing, and our first year actually heading out into the open ocean. Our boat has a 30 foot hull, and diesel engine, so you can still get home if there's no favorable wind! The first time you shut down the engine, and hoist up th mainsail, it's really something. You are going really fast, yet it's so quiet. If you do a google search for Bar Harbor, you'll find some really good pics of the area. Bar Harbor is on Mount Desert Island, and it's also next Acadia National Park. There is a fellow I know that owns a schooner called the Margaret Todd, which is docked at Bar Harbor. It's a big one. 151 feet long, and 4 masts. They give 3 hour cruises on her, and you can help the crew put up the sails if you want. Certain times of year you can see blue whales only about 10 miles offshore. Take your hubby on a day trip sailing, you'll both enjoy it. And lessons, yeah, that's an awesome gift idea.

Thanks

Hi All,

I've been out of touch for a bit....taking care of my Grandmother while my parents went on a fishing trip.

I just played catch up on all the posts to see how you all are doing.

SITC....I hope your weekend trip is very fun and relaxing. I'll pray for plenty of energy and good health.

Rob.....I'm sooooo envious! A sailboat of your own. What's her name? My husband and I used to sail a lot on the Columbia River when we were in our 20's. I miss it very much. We've talked about taking a vacation and renting a sailboat to sail the San Juans sometime. When I read your post, I can truly "hear" the passion for boats and sailing in your words. I know you've been having a rough time of it lately, so I hope you have an incredible day on Sunday. It's great you and your Dad can share your passion together. Here's to strong winds in your sails. :P

Best wishes to everyone for a enjoyable, long Memorial Day weekend!! :lol:

Fondly,

Lori

Thanks

Man you guys sound like you are going to have a great weekend- I hope it is safe and fun filled. GOD know you guys deserve it, especially you Rob.

SITC, you know you will be missed but for a good reason, I hope you get some much deserved R and R too.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

SITC..have a wonderful trip and we'll leave the porch light on for you :lol:

Rob;
    My husband and I have often talked about owning a sailboat. Alas, it never came to fruition and now, with my illness and his age (he is quite older than me), it doesn't look like it will ever happen. So, you must tell us about all of your trips on your sailboat; I want to live it vicariously through you :lol:
    The sound of the wind, the smell of the ocean, the calming glide across the water. Anything that has anything to do with water will always entertain me!
    I am so happy to hear that this is another venture that you and your father enjoy together :lol: Looking forward to your stories!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

We all deserve some quality R&R, I hope we can all find some peace and relaxation this weekend. Lori, oddly enough, we decided to name the boat "Against the Wind". I got the idea from one of my favorite songs by Bob Seger. We got the boat used, and it's bad luck to go out in an un-named vessel, or even worse, one that you now own but haven't re-named. It was a fixer upper, and Dad and I had a blast with it even before we put it in the water. He's got some amazing mechnical abilities, and I'm handy with a paint gun, so we made a project out of it. Saysusie, my Dad and I are a rickety pair to say the least. He's 72 and just had knee surgery. If we get out on the water and I'm feeling bad, I go below and rest. If we're both hurting, the sail comes down, and the engine takes over. Maybe if you and your husband could take some lessons, or rent a boat from time to time. Lessons are an easy way to get the sailing experience without the hassle of your own boat. Anyway, everyone have a safe and fun weekend. We've all earned it.