Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks

Thanks

Thanks, SITC! Curled up right now with my blankie and book - waiting for hubby to get home and wait on me!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TERIOD
    rc flight sims or regular??
    Actually both Terry, I'm no longer able to have a pilots license, so I have fun flying the Microsoft Flight Sim X instead. I build/fly r/c model planes and helicopters as well, and I use Realflight 4.0 to practice my aerobatic routines. I'm flying a demo at the big airshow we have here in August. There's nothing worse than crashing in front of a couple thousand people! Practice on the sim really helps. I have a 1/3 scale Extra 300, and a 1/4 Piper Cub. Have a couple small electric "parkflyer" type planes as well. I really enjoy both building, and flying. Are you into flying at all, either R/C, or real?

Thanks

i just recently got into rc seemed like a good activity that wasnt to stressfull, I have a hanger 9 p51 60 and a couple of parkfliers,, I use my old laptop to run my sims,, you talk about crashing in front of a couple hundred people I just want to land the bleepin thing,, i got ate up by a barb wire fence pretty good last time i went out

I perhaps chose the wrong plane to learn with but slowly getting the hang of it, ive been thinking about getting a high winged model like a piper or a cessna but i have a real hrd time getting away from the warbirds
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Very cool TERIOD
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Terry and Rob, that sounds so cool! I've watched people flying r/c planes - some take it very seriously, huh? (Terry, that's a great picture! My Dad was a bomber pilot in WWII - B24 Liberators. When he died, we had a picture of his plane laser-etched on his grave marker - very cool!)

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Wow terry, That's very cool. I have the Hangar 9 P-51 PTS. It's a .45 class, so it's a bit smaller, and it's semi-scale. Doesn't have the graceful lines of yours. It was my first gas plane. I like the warbirds too. The PTS model is pretty forgiving, and I have about 50 flights on it now with no problems. I bought a Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee. It's the 80" model. It's almost ready for it's maiden flight. This winter"s big project is going to be a Top Flite B-25 Mitchell kit. !00" wingspan and two .81 four strokes. It's my first twin engine. Scary looking! Does your Mustang have retracts? It looks great. Flaps too? I've saved alot of money and heartache by crashing on the simulator instead of for real, well, most of the time anyway! When I figure out how to get my scanner working, I'll post some pics. Thanks for the pic of the Mustang.

Thanks

thats just a generic picture, yes it has retracts except for the retracts and a few more inches its the same as the pts, I wish i had gotten that for a first plane, it seems it more forgiving
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mnjodette
    Terry and Rob, that sounds so cool! I've watched people flying r/c planes - some take it very seriously, huh? (Terry, that's a great picture! My Dad was a bomber pilot in WWII - B24 Liberators. When he died, we had a picture of his plane laser-etched on his grave marker - very cool!)

Jody
    Jody,

B-24 Liberator, wow. The pilots and crewmen on those had a very tough time of it. Many never returned, as I'm sure you know. There is a fellow in the flying club who has an r/c B-24 with a wingspan of 18 feet or so. It's the biggest r/c I've seen fly. He has a trailer he hauls it in. Has to take the outer wings off to transport it. Has 4 gasoline burning engines, and uses up as much runway as a real cessna 172 just to take off. He has a partner with a backup radio next to him in case there is a problem of some sort, it weighs almost 100lbs, could hurt something with it! He'll be at the airshow doing a demo with me and another guy, I'll get some pics of it for you. That's really a nice thing to have your fathers plane etched into his headstone. People I've known who did things like your father, did them when they were young. They went on to do alot in their lives, but they never forgot their job, and the men they served with. My father was in combat in Korea when he was 22, and in the Marine Corps. He still goes to reunions, and they talk about what they did like it was just yesterday. I went to his last reunion at Camp Pendleton with him. It was really something. My father, went with me to my last reunion as well. Once upon a time, I was a crewman on an Abrams Tank. I had reunion at Ft. Knox Kentucky with guys from my old unit last year. Dad really got a kick out of it. He got to jump up into to Commanders position on top of the turret and go for a ride. Some current tankers put on a night live fire demo, and he really liked that. There's no way you can describe how a dozen 120mm main guns sound when they fire. He was like a little kid on Christmas morning, all smiles. Look at me, I'm starting to ramble. Thanks for telling us about your Dad. I'll get some pics for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TERIOD
    thats just a generic picture, yes it has retracts except for the retracts and a few more inches its the same as the pts, I wish i had gotten that for a first plane, it seems it more forgiving
    Yeah, the PTS has those clear wing droops, and the flaps come set at 15 degrees. The landing gear has those goofy "speed brakes" as well. It was very forgiving. I stripped all the slow you down stuff off it as I got better, and it really is quick now. You know, the reason I bought that Pawnee was a fellow in the club let me fly his on a buddy box. It's a funny looking cropduster, but it flies very nice. Super low wing loading. It just floats. It has an 80" span, but he just had a plain .45 2 stroke in it, and it had tons of power. Very easy to see as well. For a forgiving low wing taildragger, you might want to consider one. I paid $179.00 retail at our local hobby shop. Very reasonable for such a big ARF. Workmanship is really nice too. Hangar 9 does a good job. I put a cheap Super Tigre .45 in it. Plain jane servos and receiver as well. I'm into it for just under $350, using my existing transmitter. I'm flying it this weekend, let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Oh, wow...you and your Dad must have a lot of stories to share! My Dad kept in touch (via email) with some of the men from his crew, but I don't think he'd been to a reunion in a long while. He didn't talk about the war a lot. He was in the Pacific, and he was very young. He ended up stationed on occupied Japan at the end and brought back a lot of wonderful stuff. Our family home was flooded once and we lost a lot of those things....too bad. I have a lot of pictures that he took, though, and his squadron book (which is where I got the photo of his plane.)

I'd love to see pix of that r/c plane. Must be just incredible. I didn't know there were any of that size. He would have to be a very skilled 'pilot' to fly the thing, I'm sure.

Jody