Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks

Thanks

Some of these tips are ones I hadn't thought of, thanks so much! My SO has MS, as many of you know, and she's always having hand trouble - I'm going to get some insulation for her canes and her walker.

As far as the kayboard, I've seen many "ergo" keyboards that look a bit more hand-friendly, if the voice recognition thing doesn't work. I do know those programs have improved a lot - so maybe that's something to look into.

I still use the baskets for clothes - but don't fill them as high. And getting the basket back downstairs? Well, I yell "BANZAIII!!!" and give 'em a toss. Makes a wonderful clatter. They wait for me patiently at the bottom. :lol:

OXO products are fabulous - I bought their can-opener thing-ee, but found that I STILL had problems - as I couldn't grasp the jars while I was using the thing-ee to twist the lid. Well, a strap-clamp worked just right. Clamp in one hand, thing-ee in the other, twist and voila'!

Amazing how creative we get. And it is so fabulous to share our little "AHA!" moments.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hey everyone,

Yes, I've been using voice recognition software on my computer for a few months now. It's part of the Windows Vista that came with my computer. I have an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC, and it has a microphone built in. I don't know if others have that though. It's really easy to use and understand. Didn't take long at all to get used to it. What I'm writing right now is all from me speaking. Sometimes I still type manually, but on the days where my hands are not working well, I use the voice program. It will also read everything on the page for you as well, and even say good morning! It also can curse like a sailor. I got a rather raunchy joke from my father one day, and the computer read it. There's something really funny about hearing a female computer voice rattle off four letter words.

Thanks

Rob, that's so funny - I chuckled thinking about the nice, female voices they use on those programs telling a raunchy joke! :lol: :lol:

My husband said the VRS has come a long way and we can certainly have that capability on a new notebook. I'm anxious to get that! First thing I'm going to do is send myself a raunchy joke!

Hatlady: I have some of the OXO things - they are great. I've also got some of those ridged-rubber jar opener things that help. But, if it's a new jar, really tight - they just don't cut it.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    Hey everyone,

Yes, I've been using voice recognition software on my computer for a few months now. It's part of the Windows Vista that came with my computer. I have an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC, and it has a microphone built in. I don't know if others have that though. It's really easy to use and understand. Didn't take long at all to get used to it. What I'm writing right now is all from me speaking. Sometimes I still type manually, but on the days where my hands are not working well, I use the voice program. It will also read everything on the page for you as well, and even say good morning! It also can curse like a sailor. I got a rather raunchy joke from my father one day, and the computer read it. There's something really funny about hearing a female computer voice rattle off four letter words.
    could you explain this more, i have vista/pavilion laptop and want to know if this is available to me :lol:
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Default vista

Hey, Everyone, Don't know what the health and human services area of your state offers for each of you, but many states have assistive devices that are approved to purchase for people who are disabled (and you do not have to be on social security - just get a doctor's letter stating that you need it, Jody). The voice recognition software is one of the programs that is offered by some. I am getting it paid for through the college where I am a student, but the ADA advisor told me that some disability services offer them to people who are not students, too. You might check into it, Jody, if you don't want to purchase Vista (which has the software built in, I understand - Rob??), because the software individually is like $900, I think. I am anxious to hear more about the Vista software, Rob, and it sounds like Teriod is, too. You might start a thread on it, and maybe others will comment, as well. I am considering purchasing it for my big computer (I use my lap top when in bed or feeling really badly, so that is where I plan to put the voice recognition software), as part of an upgrade we are planning - it is a year old, so already an antique! haha
    Thanks for the upbeat comments, everyone. This is a great thread!

Susan

Thanks

Hi, Susan. Thanks for the info! I was looking on the web (reviews of voice recognition software) and the one included with Vista is "...very robust" according to the ratings - it's reputed to be as good as the best you can buy separately. You can replace your OS with Vista (on some older computers) but from what I read (and from my techie husband) it takes a pretty 'beefy' computer to support it. They are now recommending 3GB memory in new computers, as Vista runs so much better with more memory.

We're just about ready to 'spring' for a new notebook, so I should be all set!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi guys,

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to computers and the associated hardware/software. Here's what I have- My computer is a HP Pavillion dv9000. I bought it as an "entertainment pc" as I use it mostly for watching movies, listening to music and such. I also use it for running flight simulator software, which is the main purpose, and I had it set up specifically for the sim. I use Windows Vista Home Premium. The processor is a 2.00ghz. Memory (ram) is 2046 MB. The system type is 32bit. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600. The computer also has dual disk drives. I understand basically what all these specs mean, but not much more than that. The voice recognition program was in the computer when I bought it. I had to go into a thing called "accessibility options" when I first got the computer and set it up. I just clicked on an "enable" icon for the voice, and it ran me through a tutorial, and showed me how to modify/change things like the voice speed, and pitch, so I could understand what it was saying. I also had to speak some lines it told me to, so it could put my voice into memory, and do whatever it does to learn what you sound like. It has gotten progressively easier to use, and faster as well. The intro to the program said that the computer will learn patterns and inflections in your voice, and it would work better each time you use it, which it has. As far as what someone else needs in order to make this work on another computer, I don't know. The voice works perfectly with the specifications/memory my computer has, so maybe that could be a guide. If anyone has more specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them. I'm trying to become more "tech savvy", but I'm still very much a novice when it comes to the particulars of operating systems and such. Hope this helps.

Thanks

You sound pretty 'tech savvy' to me, Rob! I rely on my very tech savvy husband for all of my info.

How are you feeling? No negative affects from being out on the boat? I hope sailing was a blast!

Quiet here today; husband is out helping our younger son on his land - he's grooming about 80 acres into a deer hunter's paradise. Somehow it doesn't seem fair....plant just the right crops and the deer come from miles to eat it. Then... BAM...venison stew!

Feeling a little less than great myself - laying low today....always a good idea when IT pays an unwelcome visit!

Jody

Thanks

Hugs Jody

Sorry you've got a case of IT. Gentle hugs and get out the spoil me kit
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

rc flight sims or regular??
    Fair Oaks California