Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks

Thanks

Default Tips and Tricks

Hello all,

I'm curious what tips and tricks do you have to get through your daily life on your "bad" days?

For me I live alone so I've gotten creative over the years.

I have a tow strap that goes between my mattress and my box spring. I use this to help me get out of bed on those days where I just can't seem to do it alone. (tow strap is a durable flat nylon material. Look it up online for a picture)

I have hard wood floors in my house so I have 2 office chairs at each end of the house for those days that I can't seem to make it down the hall. I just sit in the chair and weeeeee down the hall!

I replaced all my door knobs with lever handles. I can't seem to do well with regular door knobs even on a good day.

So what tips and tricks do you all have?
    ~SwirlyGirly~
    California
    })i({

Thanks

Well...

My laundry area is down stairs....so I bought a laundry bag instead of a basket. I fill it up and let it roll down the stairs. (gives me something soft to land on if going down the stairs doesn't work out well :lol: ) Then I can fill it with the clean folded clothes and drag it back up the stairs. (or get my dog to fetch it, but only if he's having a good day. He's elderly and not as spry as he used to be.)

I wear satin pajamas. Makes it easier for me to turn over at night and to sliiiIIiiIIiiide out of bed in the morning

I have canes located through out the house. They come in hand.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Ohhh I thought of another. I use masking tape to wrap my toothbrush and any other smallish thing that I have a hard time holding on to. They do make grips you can buy that help, but I find they often don't fit what I need them to. The masking tape you can make it as big as you need to, so you can have a better grip.
    ~SwirlyGirly~
    California
    })i({

Thanks

Default Handy helpers

Swirly Girl and Sits_inthe_Corner and others: Another thing that is really helpful for "gripping" is the soft pipe insulation. My dad put some on the rounded handle of my canes, and it is much easier for me to grasp than the 1" diameter handle before the addition. The pipe insulation can be put on anything (well, not your toothbrush - haha) that is too small to comfortably grip, and you can seat it in place with a good tape - depending on your preference (I particularly like the cloth medical tape, but I have to replace it rather often).
    My favorite things for "bad days" are the comfort baskets that I make up when I am feeling pretty good for use when I am not. This includes a favorite lotion for massaging painful hands, knees, and feet, books that I have chosen for relaxation (variety, as my needs change with my moods), a little cd player and soothing music, candles with really pleasant scents, etc. My husband can put one of the baskets by my bed when he leaves for work, and I can set up my own little "spa" in my room to relax and comfort myself. Setting these up ahead of time keeps me from having to go around searching for the items when I am feeling too ill to do so, and my husband doesn't have to try to locate the items, either.
    I purposely do not read those special books when I am at my best, so that I have something really special to look forward to when I am feeling yucky. If you are not a reader, you can do the same with a video, or a puzzle, crosswords puzzle book, etc. Just a special something to distract you from how awful you are feeling!
    This is a wonderful idea of a thread, and I love the things you guys wrote about. I hope others chime in, too.

Susan

Thanks

Oh, these are great ideas! I love the 'pamper yourself' baskets, Susan! You're so clever to plan that well.

I'm just starting to have a lot of trouble with my hands - I've been lucky with only a small amount of joint pain until the past few months. My hands are getting pretty bad and some of these ideas will really help.

We have a house with 3 floors - master bedroom on the upper level; most living space in the middle; laundry and where we watch TV on the lower level. I try to keep a set of anything I need (cleaning things, reading materials, pens, paper, over-the-counter meds) on each floor. Saves me from having to go up and down stairs when my legs aren't cooperating.

Anyone have good ideas for using a keyboard? My hands are starting to really ache when I have to key in a lot of text - and I write grants for a living....kinda' hard to avoid! (At least online here I can just type a little at a time...)
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Susan I love your pamper yourself idea! I'm definitely going to try that one!

Jody, Have you ever looked into voice recognition software? Last time I tried one (over 5 years ago) they were still kinda buggy. I always had to go back over a document to check for errors (things like using the wrong "there, their, they're"). But considering the advances in technology today they should have improved some. You might want to try some out.
    ~SwirlyGirly~
    California
    })i({

Thanks

Jody,

Though I have the same issues with my hands on the keyboard...I haven't set it up, but Windows Vista has a Voice Recognition Program that came with my new PC...

I haven't because well, brain dead...and I don't know if I have a microphone that will work with the program...maybe I will investigate this weekend while my husband is home..

It says you can dictate text into documents..almost anything.

Rob uses one..hey Rob...does it work for anything?

TIP...

OXO Good Grips has great utensils for the kitchen. Big handles. I love the Locking Tongs...takes the pressure off from squeezing.http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/xxoxo_ibe...4&respid=53057

Also I have one of those OXO soap dispensing scrub wands with a round sponge on the end too to wash dishes. Big handle, extra sponges can be bought. Two to a box.. Love it. My hands can't hold a rag wash properly..http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/xxoxo_ibe...4&respid=53057

I also use a a vegetable brush to scrub my pans with....

The OXO peeler wasn't a hit..not sharp enough...

ah...more to come...

L.,
    Oluwa

Thanks

You know, the voice recognition thing is a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think if that. We're just shopping for a new notebook computer. I'm sure I can find one that will listen to me!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mnjodette
    Oh, these are great ideas! I love the 'pamper yourself' baskets, Susan! You're so clever to plan that well.

I'm just starting to have a lot of trouble with my hands - I've been lucky with only a small amount of joint pain until the past few months. My hands are getting pretty bad and some of these ideas will really help.

We have a house with 3 floors - master bedroom on the upper level; most living space in the middle; laundry and where we watch TV on the lower level. I try to keep a set of anything I need (cleaning things, reading materials, pens, paper, over-the-counter meds) on each floor. Saves me from having to go up and down stairs when my legs aren't cooperating.

Anyone have good ideas for using a keyboard? My hands are starting to really ache when I have to key in a lot of text - and I write grants for a living....kinda' hard to avoid! (At least online here I can just type a little at a time...)
    morning Jody, check these out

http://www.allegromedical.com/pain-m...t-p191761.html
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Thanks, Teriod - Looks like just what I need! Have you used these?

Jody