Thread: WBC's low

Thanks

Default WBC's low

I've been having a flare for about a month now, and I was in the hospital the night before last. My WBC count was 1,200 and now my doctor has put me on 60 mg./day of prednisone for 1 month. I'm just worried about being on the prednisone and wanting to know more about why my WBC's would be so low. any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Hi mlarie

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it...I don't know much about the why's and what fors of WBC. I know my doctor has been watching my levels. I had several blood tests over 4 months show me as being low on my RBC. But I've balanced out.

You're doctor should and probably will keep a watch on your blood cell count while you are on the prednisone. Are they giving you a blood thinner to take with it. Like Asprin or something else?

Hang in there I'm sure someone with more knowledge about this will be along soon

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

There could be several reasons why your doctor has put you on Prednisone. One could be so that the Prednisone can increase your white blood cell count. Also, Prednisone is useful for it's anti-inflammatory and immune suppression properties.
    A WBC (white blood cell) count measures the number of white blood cells in a sample of blood. It is a valuable diagnostic tool for a number of diseases, like Lupus, and it is usually ordered as part of a complete blood count. The test is normally performed to detect an infection or inflammation.
    White blood cells help fight infections. They are also called leukocytes. There are five major types of white blood cells: Basophils, Eosinophils,
    Lymphocytes (T cells and B cells), Monocytes, and Neutrophils. The test is performed to find out how many white blood cells you have. Your body produces more white blood cells when you have an infection or allergic reaction -- even when you are under general stress. A normal white blood cell count ranges from 4,500 to 10,000 cells/mcl (cells per microliter) of blood.
    Abnormally low numbers of white blood cells (called leukopenia)may be caused by: bone marrow failure, a bone marrow tumor,
    a substance in the body that is toxic to these cells, collagen-vascular diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis or Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, liver disease, spleen disease, radiation.
    Abnormally high numbers of white blood cells (called leukocytosis) may be caused by: allergy, emotional or physical stress, infectious diseases, inflammatory diseases, leukemia, tissue damage.

Drugs that may increase WBC counts include: Allopurinol, Aspirin, chloroform, Corticosteroids (such as Prednisone), Epinephrine, Heparin,
    Quinine (such as Plaquenil), and Triamterene.

Drugs that may lower your WBC count include: Antibiotics, Anticonvulsants, Antihistamines, Antithyroid drugs, Arsenicals, Barbiturates, Chemotherapy drugs, Diuretics, and Sulfonamides.

I hope that I've answered your question.
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default low WBC

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful! I'm still feeling very weak and constantly tired. I'm having a very hard time keeping up with my little girl, but guess that's pretty normal as far as Lupus goes. My ANA profile is still negative, but all of my doctors are treating me for Lupus. It's frustrating because I can't get disability without a positive diagnosis, and I can't get insurance due to all these prexisting conditions. I'm stuck right now, feeling like I'm not getting the care that my body so desperately needs. If anyone has been in this same situation and has any suggestions I would really appreciate the advice!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've not been in the same position, but I am sure that it must be very frustrating (not to mention, UNFAIR). There are several members who have been where you are. Perhaps they will pop in with some suggestions for you. I just wanted to send you a cyber hug because I know this is probably difficult for you!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I don't really have any suggestions, but wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and really think this situation sounds awful!
    Missy