Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone-Induced Diabetes.

Thanks

Default Prednisone-Induced Diabetes.

I just got back from the doctor today and he said he thinks my stomach problems (and food intolerance) are from Prednisone-Induced Diabetes

I was very worried about developing diabetes while on the prednisone. I was already at a higher risk because it runs in my family AND years ago I had been on other meds (mostly anti-depressants) that had the effects as the prednisone.

I haven't been on prednisone for a few months now (the last attempt I felt like it was going to kill me I was so sick). And I've been taking care of myself exercising, staying active, trying to eat right (I haven't had fast food in months). But I am still totally frustrated because I don't want to have to take all kinds of meds for this. I read somewhere that most of the time this kind of diabetes will go away after the drug is stopped but sometimes if you are already at risk for developing it, you can develop full-blown diabetes.

Does anyone have any information or experiance with this??? My problem seems to be, I can't eat without throwing up. So a good portion of the time my diet consists of coke and crackers. I know the coke isn't good for me (especially if i have diabetes) but its all i can stomach. Also I live on disability so my financial situation leaves me struggling to afford healthy food. Suggestions?

Thanks

Hi also_ran,

My mom has been a diabetic for 40 + years and never had problems with throwing up after eating. She does have percious anemia and gets Vitamin B12 shots due to her stomache lining not metabolizing the nutrients and acids, etc. I would get a second opinion on it.

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and found a great book called "The Diabetes Cure" by Vern Cherewatenko, MD. Read it and started taking Garcinia Cambogia capsules with water one hour prior to eating and have been able to control blood sugars. I was told by a nutritionist to not exceed 40 carbs per meal.

I hope this helps. I would really get another opinion on it. It sounds very strange for Diabetes. Keep us updated and take care.

Faith 8)

Thanks

Hi also_ran,

We haven't met...I have been pretty ill and with my daughter too that it is real hard to post right now.

I am sorry to hear that you are having all those stomach problems. I have Barretts Esophogus and I do know the pain and vomiting in that area. Have you tried any over the counter meds like Mylanta and Pepcid complete? Of course, if you don't also have reflux (burning) then possibly that wont help. Mylanta is sugar free, but the sorbital can cause loose stools.

I have diabetes in my family, too. I had gestational diabetes years ago when I was pregnant and was told that made me a candidate for diabetes in later years.

I will keep you in my thoughts,

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

I also had gestational diabetes ( 11 lb 5 oz daughter!!) but so far I am diabetes free ...even with prednisone and all it's craziness. I know they test for it all the time tho and hope I can keep it at bay.

I didn't know diabetes caused stomach problems. You poor thing. Throwing up after meals cannot be fun. Surely a dietician could find a bland tolerable diet for you. Have you thought to ask the doctor for a referral?

Thinking of you and wishing you a wonderfully filling meal that stays where it should.

Thanks

Also_ran,

I had prednisone induced diabetes when I was on high doses of prednisone and even had to take a very light dosage med. I also followed the nutritional advice for reg. diabetics, such as no sugar, watching carbs, etc.

The good thing is that as my doses decreased so did the diabetes, it went away and I no longer take the meds or suffer with the diabetes.

Hang in there and probably start off in moderation as to keep from binging on those things you feel you will miss.

Thanks

Hugs also_ran

I'm so sorry you're going through this...it's very frustrating when the medication we take that is supposed to help us manage turns on us and causes major health problems that frankly scare the bageebers out of us.

Take some comfort in what Pretti in Pink said down there. Hopefully yours will fade off eventually too.

Keeping you in my thoughts

Thanks

Default Diabetes and vomiting

Also_Ran, I am catching up on posts from the last week and a half, as I have been studying and not able to get on here too much lately, so I am just now reading this thread. I try very, very hard never to be "know it all" about anything, despite many, many years as a nurse. However, your situation makes me feel the need to jump forward and speak out. I was a certified diabetic educator (CDE) - something you cannot get without a minimum of 2 years FULL TIME teaching on diabetes, special classes, etc. I never, ever heard of diabetes causing you to throw up, unless you had a blood sugar level off the charts and were in ketoacidosis or non-ketotic acidosis. Just having elevation in your blood sugar should not cause a symptom like that. I would be very concerned that there was something else causing the vomiting, and your need to medicate the problem with coke and crackers may be contributing to the elevated blood sugar. However, if something is not done about the problem (whatever it is) that is causing you to vomit, it will be hard for you to eat properly for controlling your blood sugar. I have racked my brain to figure out why a doctor would tell you that diabetes was causing you to vomit. Just can't come up with a single reason. PLEASE get a second opinion. Is there another doc you could go to? An endocrinologist for the diabetes (he/she would certainly know diabetes was not causing you to throw up) or a gastro doc for the vomiting? Unfortunately, doctors are often pushed to see more patients than they should in order to make enough money to cover their overhead, and sometimes that means throwing out useless (and wrong) information to just get a complicated case moved out of the way. You may require some testing to figure out your problem, and maybe that doc didn't feel he had the time to think about what to order, write the order, then read the report when it comes in, call you about it, etc. There is a lot to it. However, you need that to be done. Your body is missing out on a great deal of nutrition, and it may continue to function, but your tissues are losing elasticity, your bones are not making blood cells like they should, you cannot even make antibodies at all without protein (not in crackers or coke).
    Please forgive my rampage - this is one of my soapboxes - misleading patients and allowing them to continue to be ill because of our rushed outlook on everything. I do so hope you can and will see someone else and get to the bottom of all this. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Let us know.

Susan

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Suzique;
    I am SOOO thankful that you wrote this post. My Mom has diabetes and has been throwing up. She is always reticent to go to the doctor and has been increasing her intake red wine (ugh, that makes me so angry-especially given the fact that she is, already, an alcoholic) to deal with the nausea. I know nothing about diabetes, but I did not think that it was the cause of her nausea. I keep telling her to check her blood pressure because I have a horrible feeling that it may be too high and, therefore, causing her nausea.
    Also, she tells me over and over that drinking wine is good for her diabetes and that her doctors allow her to do so. I find this incredible and I can't seem to get through to her that I think just the opposite is happening. She was able to control her diabetes with diet and exercise; but she would not give up the wine. Now, she is on insulin and saying that the wine is ok because the insulin brings her numbers back down. Please tell me, am I wrong to think that the constant consumption of wine is doing her harm? I am going to print your post about the nausea, maybe then she'll listen to me and speak to her doctor about it and check her blood pressure.
    I know this is a bit of a change...me asking the questions! But, you seem to be very knowledgeable in this area and I need some help!

Thanks Ever So Much
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

alcohol is sugar, and sugar is a no no for a hi blood sugar diabetic, i too have pred/induce diabetes with no vomiting and as my dose decreases so does my diabetes(thank god) My sugar nazi (cde) has gone over these things with me and also understands prednisone is in control so i maintian with diet only
    Terry
    Fair Oaks California

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am glad to hear someone, besides myself, say that alcohol is sugar! Yet, my mother claims that it is "good" sugar and that she can consume it. It is just so frustrating to me and I am not allowed to speak with her doctor...so I am at a loss.

Thanx for the info, Teriod! I am glad that you are able to keep your numbers under control!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!