Thread: Butterfly rash?

Thanks

Default Butterfly rash?

Greetings all!

I've had lupus for 22 years and never once had the typical "butterfly rash" on my face. Well, the most recent flare I'm having, I'm getting this redness on my cheeks. Just the apples of my cheeks. It is not raised, but it is very warm to the touch. It comes and goes. I had it last night, then by the time I went to bed it was gone. Then this morning it is back. It is not typical of my lupus rash. Just curious if this could be the butterfly rash finally coming around? I've added it to my list of things to ask my rheumy, but my appt isn't until June 9th. Just curious....
    ~SwirlyGirly~
    California
    })i({

Thanks

My butterfly rash comes and goes and comes and goes ...seemingly at it's own will. Mine will apprear whenever I'm tired or hot or flaring or when I feel good and don't even know it's there. It goes away fast sometimes and hangs in for weeks other time. Itches and burns sometimes, don't even know I have it others. Like everything else to do with lupus it's unpredictable and strange. I'm approaching it as ...I think it makes me look healthy ...all those rosie cheeks and all

Thanks

Mine has been there for so long I wouldn't know what I looked liked without it. It's usually just a faint blush though with the occasional flaming red. It's pretty much just like the pictures only mine is rather large and covers part of my forehead and my chin. Never itches or burns. It's just there.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Swirlygirl;

The butterfly rash is a typical symptom of Lupus, but not everyone gets it. There are many who have rash on other parts of their body, bu never the butterfly rash. Also, it does not always look like a butterfly. My rash was much like yours, mostly on my cheeks and almost nothing across the bridge of my nose.
    As is everything with Lupus, no symptom is the same for everyone! So, you may never get the typical butterfly rash or, it just might develop later! Lupus is nothing, if it is not unpredictable!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Does anyone know if their is a gallery of Lupus related rashes anywhere? I have used the Google image search, but so often the images are something else, and the word "lupus" just appears somewhere on the page.

It sounds like it can vary so much from person to person. I am concerned about my sons rash in relation to his other symptoms and low positive ANA.

We tried to discuss it with the Neurologist and the pediatrician- neither saw it when it was really bright, so they both pretty much said it did not look like anything to them. The worse he feels, the pinker he is- no fever, just the cheeks, almost squared off looking redness.

Since it comes and goes, I have been trying to take photos when it flares up, so we can at least show the Rheumatologist.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I'm like DebbieE, my butterfly rash showed up when I was in my late teens. It's been there all the while.

My family doctor at the time said, "oh that's a butterfly rash, here use this cream and it will go away, but it will come back, and stay out of the sund."

That was it...nothing else, no tests no mention of lupus, nothing.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

SwirlyGirly- I hope your doctor can let you know if it's the offical "butterfly rash". It sounds like you have gone a lot of years without having it. I'm sorry you may be dealing with it now.

Saysusie- Thank you so much for the links. I saw a few pictures that looked kind of like my little boys face. I will try to post a picture when my post count allows.

I am, however, also now worried about my little girl, lol. I guess a Mommy's worrying is never done. I saw photos of palms of hands that look so much like hers. Her palms have peeled and had a dry paper-like texture all of her life. They have red splotches all under her skin. Sometimes they look worse, other times they look better. If we use enough lotion to stop the peeling and make her skin feel supple, then the blotchies look worse. From time to time she gets lots of tiny bumps and little blisters on them. When we have made appts. to take her to the doctor to have it looked at- they have looked better before time to go and we have canceled.

I am sure I am worrying for nothing, lol. I have just been so concerned that our 4 year old might eventually have problems like Nick is having now. She is 100% fine and dandy other than those little palms, so I am not going to fret over that right now.