Thread: Inflammation

Thanks

Default Inflammation

Hey all!!

I have yet again another question. I've noticed that I have this redness @ times throughout the day. It looks like a rash. It's not raised, just flat red tiny tiny spots. I notice I feel warm and more inflammed when I see the redness. Does anyone know if there is a correlation between the redness I see and the inflammation I feel? Also, does anyone else experience this? A few times, I had it all over my body including my neck and the sides of my face. It's weird. Also, it doesn't hurt at all or itch. Thanks guys!

Thanks

hugssss WantItGone,

Ya made it back!

Sorry haven't got a clue. I got red lumpies and I've got circular flat reds. Hope someone else can answer that for you...but it is good to see ya
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sits_inthe_corner
    hugssss WantItGone,

Ya made it back!

Sorry haven't got a clue. I got red lumpies and I've got circular flat reds. Hope someone else can answer that for you...but it is good to see ya
    Hey sits!

Thanks. I just realized I started this thread in the wrong forum, it should've been in the symptoms forum. My bad. ops: It's good 2 see you (& everyone else) 2!! Take care!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi WantItGone;

Second to joint and muscle inflammation, skin inflammation and rashes are two of the most common symptoms of lupus. The variety of skin rashes seen in lupus are due to inflammation. There are several types of rashes associated with Lupus. I'm going to give you brief explanations of them so that you can see which one your rash fits and, yes, there can be a correlation between inflammation and your rash:

The Photosensitive Butterfly (Malar) Rash
    The malar or "butterfly" rash is a common symptom of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or discoid lupus. Known for its characteristic butterfly shape, it can cover the nose and cheeks, a butterfly rash can appear and fade without any pain or itching. Like many other rashes, it is photosensitive, meaning that sun or other ultraviolet exposure can make the rash worse. Cigarette smoking is also thought exacerbate the rashes.

Discoid Rash
    The discoid rash is also a very common rash of lupus. Discoid lesions are small, flaky red rashes that are named for their coin shape. These rashes are most common on the face but they can also appear on the trunk of the body, the arms and the legs. Occasionally, discoid rashes can appear on the scalp. Because the rashes can cause scarring, the presence of discoid rashes on the scalp can lead to hair loss.

Discoid Lupus Erythematosus (DLE)
    Discoid rash is the predominant symptom of a form of lupus known as discoid lupus erythematosus. This form of lupus is limited to the skin and does not involve other organs of the body. Diagnosis of discoid lupus is achieved by examining a biopsy of the rash.
    Patients with discoid lupus do not generally have an increased risk for developing systemic lupus erythematosus. Some studies show, however, that patients with a very high number of discoid lesions may actually have the systemic form of systemic lupus erythematosus (this is what I have).
    Treatment of Lupus Rashes.
    Discoid and butterfly rashes can be treated with topical cortisone. For severe cases, cortisone injections may be more effective. Other medications like hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial medication, are stronger and often provide more relief. These medications need to be monitored carefully because of side effects that can cause damage to the retina.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

thanks saysusie!!

from what you've said, it doesn't seem like my "rash" or whatever it is fits into any of the categories. my red spots aren't flaky, raised, or itchy. it more so looks like blotches of red. i'll ask my rheumatologist though on wednesday when i go for my visit. thanks bunches and bunches!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Let us know what your doctor diagnoses about your rashes.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    Let us know what your doctor diagnoses about your rashes.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Hey guys!

I just started a new thread about my rheumy visit. Basically, she says I now have fibro and prescribed Neurontin. The rashes she said are most likely due to lupus but there's no way to know for certain unless a biopsy is performed. It's not that serious so I won''t have that done. I was just curious if the rashes were correlated to inflamation. Thanks for all of your help!

Thanks

Hi Want It Gone (waving),

I am sorry to hear you have joined our Fibro party; I was really afraid of that the last time we talked. Flexeral, Neurotin, or Kloponin are all really good for Fibromyalgia. Flexeril wore off for me; so I am now on Kloponin.

It was probably a smart move to not have the biopsy. To date, I have had 4-5. They are expensive and sometimes, depending on the lab, do not correlate Lupus with the rash unless it is very obvious (discoid, coin shaped). Try cortisone cream on it 3-4x per day; also be aware if you are getting cortisone shots sooner than every 3 months you can develop "cortisone acne" which look red and look similar to a pimple. Eeek!

If the cortisone cream (Cortaid or generic cream with cortisone) does not make it go away; I was told by my rhuemy that it's not a Lupus lesion. At that point, I would see a dermatologist. Good to see you back.

Take care,

Faith 8)