Thread: world lupus day

Thanks

Default world lupus day

did everyone know that today is world lupus day??? also, I live in Louisiana in a pretty small town with what seems to be a fairly large amount of individuals with some sort of auto immune problems..anyone hear of environmental things causing these diseases??? Just wondering... :?:

Thanks

If some forms of lupus can be brought on by medications, then to me, it stands to reason that environmental polutants could also be a calprit.

If you look at the genetic angle of lupus. My mother had it, her mother probably had it, my sister has it and now I'm showing signs and symptoms. We all have grown up in the same environment, so who's to say it's not something we've been exposed to. But then again you would think that the males in my family would show signs of it too.

But that's an interesting question.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

What I've read says that the number of cases of all autoimmune diseases is on the rise. That would also lead you to believe that something in the environment may be a contributing factor.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Default world lupus day

i also tend to believe that all autoimmune diseases are actually one disease that presents itself differently in each individual. But that is just my theory. ops:

Thanks

All I know is I'm broken and I want someone to fix me...is that asking too much? hahahahaha
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Default Causes of Lupus

I just recently read a really good article that was on MedLine, where I am registered due to my career/field. It was by a Rheumatologist from Johns Hopkins who had completed a study regarding the effects of certain antibiotics on triggering Lupus. There is a really strong co-relation, particularly to Sulfonamides - frequently used for urinary tract infections, among other things.
    I wondered if the increased use of antibiotics was part of the reason for the increase in cases of autoimmune disease for a long time, and this study pretty much says it is part of the picture.
    Don't know if this explains the high number of people in your area, J393, but certainly the last 50 years have seen a much higher rate of prescriptions for antibiotics. So, it could.
    Haven't read anything particular regarding the environment being a trigger, other than stress, but I agree with the others, it makes sense for pollutants to be a culprit, if antibiotics are linked to triggers.

Susan