Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck in limbo...

Thanks

SITC,

I think that I missed it....what is wrong with your toe? Or rather toenail....

It is the pits that you are having to stay with stinky face and your boss takes the cake. Asking you to miss the appt....is this the same one who is asking you not to go to the sonogram in August? The nerve...
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Default Toe

Sits in the Corner,
    I know this thread is really not about your toenail, but I can't help wanting to say something about it, before that nut takes it off.
    Many of my patients could not afford the expensive antifungal pills or ointments, so an old fashioned doc once advised a patient to prepare a small container of hydrogen peroxide and soak the affected digit (finger or toe) in the liquid for 10 to 15 minutes a day for about a week. Somehow, it kills the germies. I did this for many home care patients, and it really worked for most. Why it did not work for all, I don't know. Why it is not recommended before taking all sorts of drugs or pulling off nails, I don't know. But hydrogen peroxide is cheap, and what the heck, you watch tv or sit and watch the sun set or something every day, right? Coordinate your little soak at that time, and see if it works (well, if you want to try it, that is.) Anyway, had to speak up, so if something rather simple could help you keep that toe for painting, so be it.

Good Luck!
    Susan

Thanks

Sorry sick n tired

I'm just seeing this post now. Way back when I was dating Mosses :shock: I used to work as a geriatric nursing assistant. I wore cheap shoes, and I brused the big toe nails on both feet.

That seems to be coming back to haunt me now. I have a fungis under my big toe nails in the exact shape of the bruses I had all those years ago. My family doctor put me on a pill that I took for six months and it didn't do a thing. So now she's refered me on to a dermatologist. My family doctor told me that this other doctor will probably choose to remove my nails :shock:

I'm not liking this idea....really not at all.

Suzique

Thanks for the tip, I'll try anything at this point. I've got the time so why not

Problem is ... it's under the central part of the nail....so I'm not sure the peroxide will be able to reach it.

I've been using an anti fungus cream, but it's the same problem...it cant affect under the nail bed.

But I'll certainly give the peroxide a chance as the fungis cream has not been working. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Default Toe

Sits_inthe_corner, I hesitate to send this to you, but I will. Nurses are the worst patients, you know. We tend to self diagnose and self treat - doctors are forever getting frustrated because of this. But I have to say, most of the times I have self treated, I did as well as any doctor visit (for minor things, of course).
    Anyway, there is another old-fashioned remedy for "blood blisters" - when you smash your toe and blood collects under the nail causing pressure and pain. At the ER, we made a small puncture with a sharp scalple (I know, ewwwww!). Anyhoo, you can do the same to access the fungal area with a sharp needle. Heat it in a flame for a minute then press on the spot - it should puncture a large enough opening to allow the peroxide in. Oh, I wish I could be there to do it for you. I just hate for you to lose the nail without a fight. Basically, him taking it off is to access the fungal area, and as Oluwa implied, he may not take the matrix, so it would then grow back. That is a pretty important point.
    You may not want to go as far as this - I guess things like this don't bother me anymore after doing them for a living for so long. I forget how bad the ick factor is for others. But, thought I would throw it out there.

Susan

Thanks

Suzique

Over the years....I've done alot of things for alot of people. When ever I did something that "needed" doing for a patient and they were up set or nervous I was always very kind and gentle and took my time till they felt ready. And the reason for this is.......................................I'm a big ol chicken.

The thought of putting a hole in my toe nail just gives me the willies. But I sure could put on in your toe nail hahahahahaha.

I'm a wuss it the worst way.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Default Wuss

Sits_inthe_Corner, You just gave me the biggest chuckle. I love how you said that you could not put a hole in your nail, but you sure could put one in mine!! What a hoot! Don't worry about being a wuss - my husband is far, far worse. I have to literally chase him down to give his flu shot. He will come up with 1000 excuses to put it off. He donates blood, and I have yet to figure out how he gets himself psyched up to do it.
    That is why I almost didn't post that last - I know most people wouldn't or couldn't, but you can't say no to what you haven't had mentioned....
    Please keep us updated on your situation - you have generated a thread of interest in your toes now....
    Oh, and I hope you are having a great time on your road trip. I am enjoying a quiet weekend at home cooking on the barby and cranking out home-made ice cream. I will have visions of you in your red sunglasses sending signals to Rob across the water, though. What a fun vision.

Susan