Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun reactions???

Thanks

Default Sun reactions???

I was wondering how long it takes to show a reaction of any kind from being in sun for several hours? I wore sun block 30/Sports. I know everyone's different and it can be skin and/or internal. Just trying to get an average rate it happens to see if its something I need to write in my journal or the way I feel has no relation to being in the sun. I don't know if its something that happens instantly, next day or a few days later. Thanks in advance .
    Cheryl

Thanks

Cheryl, I'm not as sun sensitive as some out there. I have friends with lupus who react almost immediately - you can see them get red in the face (not sunburn) and they just seem to wilt. I don't react that immediately, but if I get too much sun, I can get tired, weak and my joints will hurt. It just makes my other symptoms flare. Doesn't always happen, but often.

"True" photosensitivity is a skin thing, and there's no missing that - sores, rashes, redness. That's the 'real-deal' and I think it happens pretty quickly when people who have that are exposed to sun.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Cheryl,

I was extremely sun sensitive before I was diagnosed with SLE. Now I'm sensitive to the extreme. I have fair skin and blue eyes but my hair is black. I've read and heard that people with that combination are all very sun sensitive. If I get sun exposure at lunch time, I'll have a reaction by the time dinner comes. Usually about 2-3 hours. It's miserable. I keep SPF Bazillion with me always. And a boonie hat with a wide brim. I get nausea, and feel like my skin is on fire. I get a fever as well, usually 100. Feels like the worst flu I've ever had, plus the burning sensation. Not fun.

Thanks

Me? I wilt just like Jody wrote....My cheeks, not the hinder...the red brightens immediately, then I get scales spots. Much longer, I get nausea...

Even my PC, which is HD makes me red. Activates my Sjogren's eyes too...

Hugs...
    OLuwa

Thanks

Me? I wilt just like Jody wrote....My cheeks, not the hinder...the red brightens immediately, then I get scales spots. Much longer, I get nausea...

Even my PC, which is HD makes me red. Activates my Sjogren's eyes too...

Hugs...
    Oluwa

I see you Rob....I'll find you on another thread..

Thanks

Interesting that you should mention the computer causing the redness. I've also noticed that after a short time on my computer I have the butterfly rash flaming across my face. I wonder if there is a shield of some sort to protect from that?

Thanks

Thanks for the replys. I don't know if lupus is my culprit, just told that I have FMS. Never seem to really be bothered after a day in the sun.
    Well, here goes: went to the beach on saturday from 10am-4pm. I wore the sunblock and reapplied a few times. Well I've never sun burned in my life before. At 34, I got my first sun burn. Only in a few spots on back though. It hurted a little and itched some. There was a few small white spots in the red area, don't know if that's normal. In all I felt fine,until I woke up tuesday morning. I was so exhausted, sore and stiff. My feet hurt so much and had couple light bruises that I had no idea how (2 on one arm and 1 on lower tummy). I'm still so fatigue, bad feet, sore neck and itchy skin all over. Face was a little reddend, not much. Wanted to know if possible sun, or did something else and need to find the real culprit. Possibly going again tomorrow to the beach, checking things out first.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Cheryl...Medicines making you more sun sensitive, bruising...perhaps? I really don't know much about FMS..very minimal...

MrsMurdena...I wear sunscreen on my face neck and arms and wear my new prescription sunglasses when on the PC. I take breaks inbetween post, especially today...seeing, meeting with everyone again...

I also get joint pain, finger, wrist, not elbows,....shoulder, hips, ankles and feet from being at the PC...but not when I sit on the couch or chair, so I figure it must be the screen.

The back gets awful but that is a whole different thing. DDD. Degenerative Disk Disease...

L.'
    Oluwa

Thanks

Interesting... for me it isn't a constant. Last year I was not all that sun sensitive. I always wore my gazillion SPF sunblock whenever I went outdoors and wore a long sleeve white shirt over my clothes whenever in the car. I would only get my lupus spots if I was in the sun for more than an hour. This year I'm super sensitive. Yesterday I was sitting on my couch and reading. I didn't even notice that the sunlight had moved and was over my leg. Within 20 minutes I had a 102 fever, was all achy, and had a huge welt where the sunlight hit.
    ~SwirlyGirly~
    California
    })i({

Thanks

I don't take anything but bp meds now. FMS doesn't have sun sensitivity, so was wondering if it was a new symptom or if done something I need to be more aware of.

MrsMurdena, I was told there was a screen cover for comp. that was to help the eyes, maybe it'll help the skin too? Just a thought.
    Cheryl