Thread: left side chest pain

Thanks

Default left side chest pain

Hey guys,

Sorry I have not posted for ages, but I have been checking in with how you are all doing from time to time.

I am aware that chest pain with us lupies can occur, and it is a symptom I am very familiar with, but I had a strange occurance of it. I woke up at 3am in the morning with really in-tense left side chest pain - which hurt a lot more when I was lying down, so I sat up till morning having taken some pain relief. Weird thing was at about 7:30am it just went away so I went to work. Usually if I get it that badly I am out for a good couple of days at least with it and have several doctors visits before they get the pain under control. Has this happened to anyonelse (short periods of intense chest pain)? I was relieved it went away, but I am scared it is just a warning sign before the big one hits.

I had an ECG and echocardiogramme which came back fine at the end of last year.

Oh the random things my body does. :?

Thanks

Hi Sprant,

I am glad that the pain went away sooner rather than later...I think if I were you, however, I would call the doc and make him aware of this then see if he wants you to come in...It might be some comfort to have a repeat ecg and echo.

The good news is that you are not still hurting. I have pains in my chest like that. It unnerves me when it happens...perhaps it is chostrondritis. or do you have any problems with GERD? sometimes I think that the severe pain is coming from the esophagus.

I am glad to hear from you,

I hope that you feel better soon,

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Hi sprant

When I first started having chest pain, I freaked...thought I was having a heart attack. Turned out to be arthritis in my rib cage. It comes and goes.

My doctor pressed on several areas at once and I shot out of the chair...geesh she coulda warned me.

If you are ever concerned it may be your heart check the colour of your finger nails, if they are dark purplish or blue that's a sign that your blood isn't pumping right. Also look for a greyish tinge to your face and bluey purple to the lips.

This is such a weird disease, sick N tired is 100% right about telling your doctor of this. Best to be sure what's going on.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Thank you for your quick replies,

Like you sits_inthe_corner I freaked when I first had chest pain - that is a few years ago now. Now I know not to panick so much when I get it. But this just seemed different (the way it left so quickly) - which I was pleased about but not expecting from prior experiences. Sick n tired I havn't really had problems with GERD. My rheumy refers to my chest pain as pericardial pain.

I always feel so silly going to the doctor after an event happens trying to explain what had happened. I actually had one doctor say to me she couldn't help me unless I still had the symtom, as there was nothing to examine without the symptom. But perhaps you guys are right, a ring to my new improved doctor may be in order.

Thanks

Yeah Sprant,

The doc at least needs to have a notation about when you have these "episodes"...You might not go in to the doc, but at least she has knowlege of it.

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Could your bp be a problem? I was having chest pains that would lighten up when I sat up. My bp was slowly climbing up. Got bp meds now, the chest pains hardly happen anymore. Just a thought .
    Cheryl

Thanks

What about pericarditus? Doesn't that get better when sitting up?

Thanks

STaylor, what's pericarditus? I have a mushy and foggy head today, so I can't recall and don't want to try to look up do to blurry vision. If you could please enlighten me, I know the word-I just can't bring it to mind.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Just wanted to chime in here..........

I've had pericarditis, which is an inflammation of the lining (or sack) around your heart. It's very painful. You can have gradual pain that creeps up on you, until it becomes a constant pain.

I've also had pleurisy, which is inflammation of the lining around your lungs. Also extremely painful.

I actually had them both at the same time, which was doubly painful. It was one of the first big flares I had right after I was diagnosed. And it landed me in the E.R. and then the hospital for a week.

Mine crept up on me over several days until I finally had so much pain in my chest that I could not breathe. It was extremely painful thru to my spine. I couldn't take a deep breath.

With the pleurisy, the pain was much worse when I would lay down, so I spent several nights propped up almost sitting to sleep. I let it go way too long cuz I was very fearful of the Emergency Room and hospital. I was treated with high dose IV Methylprednisone for a week.

I've also had the quick sharp pains in my chest and rib cage and found out that was arthritis, as I believe SITC said.

I learned the hard way that chest pain, in whatever form it comes, is not something to ignore. If you just have a one time pain, that's one thing. But if it recurs or continues, always call your Doctor to advise them. Your heart and lungs are nothing to mess around with. It is absolutely crucial that they are functioning well.

Hope this was of some help.

Take care,

Lori