Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More things diagnosed...TMI....questions...venty

Thanks

Default More things diagnosed...TMI....questions...venty

I have been having issues with my stomach and my bowels for quite sometime. I am nauseous most of the time. I have either constipation or diarrhea never a normal stool. They ultrasounded my gall baldder they did a hydascan...both normal. On friday I had a double scope. I have irritation in my esophagus and stomach.He stretched out the lower part of my esophagus. Intestine were clear well except for hemorrhoids. He said I have esophagealitis, gastritis, IBS and GERD The causes and or things that exacerbates are the 800mg 2X a day for anti-inflamatory pain, stress and smoking.

I will be starting a med for IBS(i think) and he is going to talk to my reg doc about something else for pain. I have to add more fiber to my diet to help my bowels work correctly. He put me on Zantec a week ago.

I have such a hard time eating. Most of the time I get nauseous immediately after eating and trying to poo is like pushing jello thru a very small hole (Way TMI Im sorry)

Stress....what is my life all about? My family. I cant work anymore. I had to quit my job. So now all that I have in my life is my family. Yes we have stress. Lots of issues. How am I supposed to reduce that stress. I dont see it lessoning any at all. In fact it is going to get worse due toi issues some my children have. We are moving soon. Oh yea I forgot to update on my HubbyMans job. He got a new job teaching in INdiana. So my family life causes stress, stress has caused my illnesses. I dont see a way to lesson the stress. I thought that I was handling it. Coping. But if I keep getting new things healthwise to deal with.....I just dont know. I dont see a way to get out from under this. I am scared. I feel screwed. What is next if I cant lesson the stress....death?

Kasey

Thanks

Hi ya Kasey

Today...right now ... you can go down to the pharmacy and buy a pack of Immodium.

You do not need a perscription for it. It's sold over the counter.

I was diagnosed with IBS in my early 30's. I was not given any medication. I was told to change my diet. (my doctor at the time was an idiot I now have a new doctor)

I was like you ... desperate for some help. One day I saw a commercial for Immodium and I thought what the heck I'll try it. It worked.

Yes you have to change your diet, more grains, more beans, more fibre. Less fat and grease. Get lean meats and low fat everything. Plus your heart will thank you too.

Yes you have to deal better with the stress in your life. Do some reading on stress management.

When I was really bad with the diahrea and stomack cramps and exhaustion I would take just one of those pills in the morning when I got up. I was such a mess that everday was a nightmare. As I started feeling more in control I would only take it if I ate and my stomack started to react badly...you know that oh oh this is not going to end well where's the bathroom feeling.

Even after that feeling started, taking a pill could head it off. I'm never with out those pills. I have a sheet of them in my purse, another sheet in my car and another in my desk at work and of course home here in the cabinet.

And the funny part. Now that I've changed my diet...I hardly ever have to take them. Plus I handle my stress better. That's not to say I dont get stressed out...I do ... just not as much or as often.

You can get controll of this...you are NOT going to suffer with this forever. There is help. This will NOT control you life.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi, Kasey. I think you've gotten some good advice from SITC. I don't have IBS, but I have a dear friend who does, and she handles it very much like SITC advised, and she gets along pretty well most of the time. I hope this approach works for you.

Life is handing you a lot of stress right now....too much. Anything you can do to reduce that is so important. Take one small step each day - pick one thing you can work on; one thing you can control or make better. Even something small. A little victory or success will go a long way to helping you feel a bit better. Try to stay in the 'now' and not let yourself spend too much time in the 'what-if.' That can be crazy-making for you. (Easier said than done...I know. :roll: )

Hope you find some peace, Kasey. We're here for you when you need a place to vent!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kasey;
    I, like you, have IBS - My IBS is a symptoms of my Fibromyagia. The symptoms of IBS include nausea, constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux (GERD) and others. With IBS, it is imperative that you add fiber to your diet ( found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes). I use "Benefiber" in my morning tea and cereal for my soluble fiber. I also take "Fibercon" tablets every evening and I drink water...ALL OF THE TIME!!
    I eat lots of apples, nuts and fresh vegetables (mostly dark green vegetables) for my insoluble fiber.
    One other important thing to do to help your IBS is to exercise regularly. Now, the thing about exercise is that it also helps to relieve stress and to lower your blood pressure. So, I say to you..please, please try to find an exercise program that you can do on a regular basis.
    Now, back to the IBS..as Sits-in-the-Corner pointed out, it is also very important that you change your diet. One of the things that IBS does is to slow down your digestive system (hence, the constipation) so that you are unable to process easily digestive foods as well as you once were (like foods high in fat, proteins or carbohydrates). So, now you have to think about eating foods that are not processed by your body and that pass, unchanged, through your digestive system. That means, adding more fruits and fresh vegetables. Reducing your intake of red meats (try eliminating them entirely - if you can); eating whole grains and nuts.
    When we talk about fiber, we have to remember that there are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble.

Soluble Fiber: This type of fiber dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. You can find generous quantities of soluble fiber in oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley and psyllium. There are products (like Benefiber) that dissolve easily and have no taste, that you can add to almost any food or drink.

Insoluble Fiber: This type of fiber promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools. Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts and many vegetables are good sources of insoluble fiber.

Now, there are times when we just have to take some form of laxative. Do it if you need, just try not to get dependent upon them. For those of us who suffer with IBS, that is often much easier said than done.
    For diarrhea with IBS, it is suggested that we eat a healthy diet and try to avoid foods that can trigger diarrhea. These foods can be different for each person and they include:
    Alcohol.
    Artificial sweeteners.
    Artificial fat (Olestra).
    Carbonated beverages.
    Coconut milk.
    Coffee (even decaffeinated).
    Dairy.
    Egg yolks.
    Fried Foods.
    Oils.
    Poultry skin and dark meat.
    Red meat.
    Shortening.
    Solid Chocolate.

Remember, some of your medications can cause diarrhea, such as antibiotics, blood pressure medications, and antacids containing magnesium.
    IBS is no fun and we have to be conscious of it every day, all day. Sometimes, going out to dinner can be a nightmare! But, like everything else, it can be managed. It is just that we have to manage it every day--rain or shine--in order to get some normalcy! I hope that you are able to do so.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hugs dear -

Such good info above on the IBS.... the high fiber / lower fat diet is good for ALL of us.

The stress is hard - especially now that you'll be moving, all that goes with it. Do what you can to carve out 10 to 30 minutes EVERY day that is strictly YOUR time. Read a book. Sit in the corner and stare at the wall. Take a long hot bath (well, that's a good hour!) Sit in the garden and see how much it grows during that time. But a little time just to focus on breathing - deeply and calmly - and relax. It can recharge your whole day. It isn't being selfish, it is being healthy.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Hugsss hatlady

How are you doing, I haven't seen ya post in a while...hope you're feeling good
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi Kasey,

I was wondering where you were. I am sorry to hear of all your troubles. I also have been having issues with my whole alimentary tract.

I hate to eat, also because of the nausia, vomiting and lower down issues. I wish that I could help you with that. As far as the stress....
    One thing that I suggest is to take some time out that is Kasey's time. I have been trying to do that even if it is when the kids are in bed. A warm bubble bath with some soothing music is nice and relaxing.

I was glad to read saysusies suggestions for IBs...I need to add fiber, also.

I hope and pray that things ease up soon,

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Thanks you guys. I didnt realize that I had been gone so long with out checking in. Sorry.
    I didnt know all that about soluble and insoluble fiber. My HubbyMan had gotten me Fiber Choice which is a soluble fiber. He is going to get me something like that BeneFiber for the insoluble fiber, like Saysusie had suggested.

I did okay today until this evening I had some sherbet, Made me really nauseas. Hasnt done that before. So I dont know why. So anyway I then ate some Raisin Bran Crunch. My stomach is still nauseas. My nausea med is waiting for doctor approval. No more refills yk. I seem to blow thru that med so fast. I ate lots of raw carrots at dinner. Is a high fiber diet like a raw food diet? Seems so. We are going to by a whole grain bread for me. I used to make my own wheat bread. Cant manage that now. Maybe soon.

As far as the stress goes. I am definately going to have to carve out some part of the day for just me. I have a high needs mentally ill dd who is at home with me. Caring for her takes away a lot from me.

I think I will have to implement a quiet time.

Again thanks...will be back with my progress and more questions.

Kasey

Thanks

Kasey,

Is there anyway that you could get someone in during the day to help you? Maybe possibly just a few hours and only a few days...it could be a friend, perhaps.

That would help you have a little time...althought we love them children can be stressful, handfulls at times but a disabled one that adds to it exponentally...

Oh and yes Carrotts are fiber...I would have had nausia from the sherbert but that is because I would start with GERD and the burning.

Blessings,

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Kasey, Sorry to hear about your IBS problems. Being a sufferer of crohn's along with lupus I understand your agony. Hopefully the meds they put you on help, but unfortunately when you're flaring there is no quick fix no matter how hard you try. I find that when my bowels are going crazy, only a few bites at a time are best for me. It also helps to be on an anti nausea med (zofran) before you eat anything. It's very hard to recommend any food in particular. As for the stress, you are really having to handle so much. I know you feel that you have to handle it all, but you really need to take care of yourself too. Just always remember if you don't take care of yourself, you will be too sick to do anything for anybody. Good luck and take care. Dede