Thread: Meds for pain and inflammation

Thanks

Default Meds for pain and inflammation

Hi -- it's Ellie. I want to give a special thanks to all of you who welcomed me into the group.

I have a question for anyone who cares to answer it. It concerns meds. I am currently taking only Plaquenil for my severe joint pain. It works better than nothing, but I really think I could feel less pain than I do. Do any of you take any other meds that control joint pain and inflammation? I'd like to mention them to my rheumatologist, and see what he thinks. Every morning I awake with sore and inflammed elbows and wrists. It takes until about noon until they're loosened up enough to feel okay.

I'd sure appreciate any suggestions from any of you. THANKS!

Ellie

Thanks

Hi Ellie,

I currently am on plaquenil and it is inadequate for the whole job so the doc is putting me on prednisone, too.

Perhaps you might be able to learn more if you look on the forum entitled Lupus Erythematosus Medications.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Hi Ellie,

Welcoming you with open arms....

I take Plaquenil, was...on Naproxen and Ultracet. Now I was switch to Flexaril (muscle relaxer), Loratab (pain), Elavil (sleep)..and Mobic (inflammation) with the Plaquenil. And I feel relatively good. Change up two days ago.

I'm alittle bit numb in the head, blank slate but I am sure that will subside in a weeks time....

Again welcome, Ellie..hug
    Keep well,
    Oluwa

Thanks

hello Ellie

I'm not diagnosed yet, but I'm on plaquenil and arthrotec 75. The plaquenil does not seem to be helping me, my trial period for this drug is almost up.

I've been on arthrotec 75 for almost a year. It's cut my pain and my swelling in half. Which is really saying alot for this drug. 1 1/2 ago some one switched on the arthritic in my body. It all hit at once. Feet knees hip ribs neck jaw elbo.

She tried me on several medications to deal with the pain and swelling nothing helped untill the arthrotec.

It takes a while to find the treatment that's right for you. In the mean time try to give yourself lots of time in the mornings to get limbered up.

Are you covered by a medical plan? I went to physio for a few weeks. He gave me some excersizes to do in bed before I tried to get up. Simple limbering routines which really helped.

If you are having trouble finding a comfortable way to sleep that doesn't aggrivate your joints, you could get a body pillow. You can find them at any store that sells bed linnens and pillows...it's just a great long tube, about 5 feet in length. They cost about $14 here. When I'm really sore I use it to support my body so that my arm and leg are supported by the pillow and not resting on the other sore limbs.

I know it hurts to think about moving around when your joints are sore and swollen, but you really do need to find that fine line between too much movement and not enough. The not enough bit can be as worse for your swelling and pain as too much.

Soft hugsss, I hope this helped.

Plus I'll put in another plug for my favorit things...the others are gonna swat me if I dont shup about them hahahaha

Memory foam mattrice, satin pajamas (for easy turns in bed) and YES polar fleece sheets to fight off the cold.

K I'm done now.

OOPS no I'm not, do you use compression bandages on your arms to help controll your swelling, if not speak to your doctor about them.

No I'm done
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Welcome Ellie,

I have been on Plaquenil for 2 years and when joint pain arises, I take cortisone (Kenalog) shots. They seriously kick butt!! oops. They are absorbed by your tissues and not through your organs which is better for you. Also, you can take one shot every 3 months to calm down the flares. I chose this route instead of the next which for me would be Methotrexate (nausea, vomiting, loss of hair, etc.).

Keep us updated and take care.

Faith

Thanks

Ellie...

Wondering where you are...the site was down and we're back... I am hoping you tagged your thread for an an email response reply...

Elbows and wrist still inflamed? We're you prescribed anything in addition to the Plaquenil?

I hope those joints loosened up...

Thinking of you and hope to see you soon..

Hugs,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Hi Ellie,

Im Kasey, was diagnosed in November. I am on lyrica, arthrotec, ultram ER and cymbalta for pain and inflamation.

Hope you feel better soon. Being in pain is such a drag.

K

Thanks

Hey Ellie,
    I am on Plaquenil as well as prednisone, Ultracet, and methotrexate (among other stuff). My joints would continue to bother me and my rheumy prescribed Litoderm patches. They are sticky little patches that basically numb the area of the joint. They are life, or should I say sleep, savers at times. Hope you feel better soon!
    Blessings!
    Angie

Thanks

Hi Ellie,
    My name is Kathy. I have Lupus and am taking Plaquenil, Sulindac and Imuran. The Sulindac is an NSAID which is used to treat inflammation and pain. I have been on several different types of NSAIDs through the years and this one seems to work the best for me. Have you mentioned anything to your doctor about any of the NSAID's that are available out there for Lupus?

Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Hi Ellie, my name is Lauri. I am preDx'd (what ever that means) lol. Anyway, I started Plaquenil and prednisone almost a month ago and my swelling is SOOOOmuch better. Its from the prednisone, because I dont believe Ive been on the Plaquenil long enough yet. But , the prednisone will do it. Maybe your doc can put u on a taper - start with 60mg and taper down. Sometimes, you need a good blast of that stuff and then you can come off of it. For me, every time they tapered off, my symptoms would flare back up, so I am now taking 20 mgs aday, everyday with no taper. The side effects are kind of lousy, but, they are completely worth it to me - I have much less pain, much less swelling and my fatigue is markedly improved. I couldnt even get out of bed these past few months!! I would ask your doc about Predinisone - its whats used the most. Good luck!
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7