Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: headaches

Thanks

Default headaches

I initialy posted this under I believe the newly diagnosed forum and was suggested that I try this question here.

A couple of the posts refer to headaches and what part of the head they are located, I have had chronic headaches for probably six months to a year, at times they make me feel like my eyes are crossed, they seem to originate at the base of my skull just to both sides of where the spine enters, and at times it feels like it is also inside of my eye sockets. Ibuprofen defenitly seems to help however it also seems to raise my blood preasure, I do also have a leaking aortic heart valve that is bycuspid instead of trycuspid and my cardiologist is trying to keep my blood preasure down. any info would be appreciated.
    thanks;Jim
    God bless you all!

Thanks

Hi Jim,

My headaches start at the lower back of my scull .... my jaw and teeth ache and become light sensative. The hair on my head feels like huge spinters in my scull. Because of the medications I'm on, I'm only allowed to take tylenol with no codine, and cold fx as medications. So I just lay down in a dark room and hope for the best.

The placquenil that I'm taking can cause these headaches. So my doctor suggested I take both pills together just before bed with a small tub of yogart. After I started doing that my headaches have lessened drastically.

But there are many reasons for the headaches, hopefully someone else will have some answers for you...hang in there
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

sits_inthe_corner
    thanks, I have tried the tylenol with no relief, it takes about 600mg to work. I guess it will just take time to figure all this out. take care.

Thanks

Hi,

I have fibromyalgia and the neck muscles get real tense. My pain does come from the base of the skull and into the head. It seems to radiate all the way up and over my head. Nothing works with me over the counter, however.

I hope that you are able to find a pain reliever that does not raise your blood pressure.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

I was having headaches daily due to high bp. Doc gave me a new med called Atenolol. It lowers bp, prevents migrains and prevents heart attack. Ask your doc if its good for you to take with your heart. I also get headaches from FMS, stress and countless other reasons. Neproxan helps and asprin. Peppermint oil rubbed on forhead and back of neck helps alot too. Hope you find relief.
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I get headaches on the left side of my head.
    It is a constant throbbing pain.
    Feels somewhat similiar to A tension headache.

I read somewhere, that one of the common causes of headaches is dehydration.

so what i do is drink water as soon as I feel a headache coming, and it really helps.
    In a matter of minutes.

If it is more severe. Ibuprofen does the trick in record time
    Hope this helps
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was told, by my rheumy, that headaches that start at the base of the skull are generally muscle contraction headaches (tension headaches). Tension headaches do not usually respond to medications for migraine headaches and they are usually associated with tension and fatigue related to stress. The pain usually lasts for days or hours.
    Headaches that start around the eyes and temple areas are generally migraine headaches and are vascular problems. Migraine has generally been divided into two types, common and classic migraine. Common migraines occur as a throbbing pain on one side or occasionally both sides of the head, affecting women more often than men. They may last for hours or days. Classic migraine has similar features but is associated with nausea. The aura may include a variety of symptoms and, in particular, includes visual symptoms such as bright lights, lines, patterns or other distortions. It is the classic pattern of migraine which seems to have a specific association with lupus.

Lupus, itself, has symptoms known as "Lupus Headaches" which are very much like migraines, but do not respond to migraine medication or otc headache medication. Lupus migraines are usually alleviated with the medications used to treat Lupus. 10% of Lupus patients suffer from some form of migrainous-type headache which doctors feel is a manifestation of underlying lupus. Whenever your headaches are unusually prolonged and unresponsive to the usual pain relieving medications, they are likely to represent symptoms of lupus itself. The frequency and severity of the pattern of migrainous headaches in Lupus seem to resolve as other features of the disease including arthritis, pleuritis and rashes, improved with treatment.
    In any event, the important point to remember is that when your headaches are prolonged, diffuse and not relieved by the usual pain relievers, or when they involve specific hallucinations or changes such as fleeting blindness associated with other migrainous phenomenon, they most likely represent a manifestation of the underlying disease process of Lupus. Treatment with the usual medications for lupus including steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, and Plaquenil, in addition to the use of drugs like nifedipine, which can dilate the arteries, are usually recommended and have been found to be helpful.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

:shock:

Well, saysusie, that would explain my headaches. I've never found a medication that could touch my horrid headaches. Not even take the edge off.

When they come on, I just want to throw up from the pain. I dont want anyone moving around me to talking to me or touching me. The best thing I can do is go into a dark quiet room and wait for it to go away.

Funny I just remembered, I had an uncle who used to go into a dark room for weeks at a time. He sort of kept to himself and didn't have much to do with the family...the poor guy.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

OOOO OOOOOO i know take vitamin B2 swear by the stuff. I once went to a neurologist specializing in chronic pain patients and migraines. I actually buy this stuff at Costco called Zip-Fizz its got tons of B2 and B12 it does wonders along with 2 Excedrin Migraine. What i was told is they are still considered a migraine they just have their own classification. This was when i was put on Topamax i am warning everyone about the stuff it messed me up perminently i weighed 125 (at 5'6") and lost 15 pounds scary stuff and it didnt really help me anyways BOO on topamax but yea for zip-fizz

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Jesseyleigh;
    As part of my Fibro clinic, I've been taking B12 (under my tongue), for pain. I'm glad that you mentioned that it has helped your headaches. I hope that it does the same for me. Like SITC said, my migraine headaches cause me nausea, intense pain for days and I, also, have to lock myself away in a dark, cool, quiet room.
    I've never heard of zip-fizz, but I will look for it the next time that I go to Costco.

SITC:
    I hope you get some relief soon - both from your stress and from your headaches!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!