Thread: Getting a little plump!

Thanks

Default Getting a little plump!

I've put on a bit of weight.........and i thought one was supposed to lose weight with SLE! OK I do cheat a bit but I don't eat a lot and even the lettuce leaves seem to be adding on the kilos! Anyone else having a problem?

Colleen

Thanks

hmmm, to the best of my knowledge, weight gain is more popular, and i think its because of the prednisone.. i assume you are on that?

i actually fluctuate, because my appetite fluctuate. right now im losing a lot of weight. i barely consume much. but then even when my appetite is low, i still gain weight at other times because of my meds, and the dosages.

im sure a solid diet and exercise should be fine. and im sure Saysusie will pick up where i left off, or correct me where i err.

do your docs have you on a special diet? i cant have meat nor dairy, no caffiene, and select fruits and veg... most are fine tho.
    suffering from lupus, wish i were living with it, and surviving

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I don't know if the weight issue as it relates to Lupus is different between men and women, but I've lost weight since my diagnosis. My weight has leveled out and is right for my height, so I've been lucky. I attribute my weight loss partially on the way my appetite has changed. Many days nothing sounds appetizing, and as a result I eat less than I used to. It sounds like Rachie has experienced the same thing.

Rob

Thanks

we seem to be walking the same fine line Rob...

i too find food so undesirable @ times.

my weight too has tapered. the fluctuations arent as wide. its more less 5lbs up and down. it used to vary as much as 20lbs in a short period. a salad plate of food sometimes is too much for me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

when lupus started for me I gained alot of weight because of my increased appetite due to prednisone.
    The prednisone itself gives you a moon shaped face

The weight gradually came off when the lupus got under control.

Right now however I am a bit plump. ops:
    lol, due to the fact that i have quit smoking, and well replaced it with some extra carbs. working on it :x
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Thanks

While I agree with a lot of what everyone has said already, I have to say that for those of us who are comfort eaters, you might gain a little weight. While sometimes I have no appetite at all if I am having a flare, when I get depressed and sometimes when I am hurting I comfort eat. ops: Not a healthy habit but let's face it, it happens. :shock:

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies! I'm not on any medication at the moment but I think because I get tired and with that perhaps the inactivity is piling on the kilos. Anyway this isn't a big problem and i feel a little silly now having brought it up at all.

This is an amazing site and I'm absolutely so impressed with the care everyone shows and the advice given to all!
    Colleen

Thanks

ColleenT

Dont feel the least bit shy about bringing up a topic. I've been meaning to ask this one myself :lol:

I work out everyday, I go for walks at least twice a day. I am very very careful about what I eat. Perhaps too careful. While I was at my doctors today...she let me have it. She asked me if I had gotten in to see a nutricianist yet...and of course I hadn't. Mostly it was a money issure. I had an unexpected dentist bill come up that my medical plan refused to cover.

But I finally paid that off just this week so I'll be booking an appointment. I'll share what ever information I get. I entend to ask her about severial things.

-Diet for boosting the immune system
    -Foods that boost the metabolism
    -Diet for people with lupus and or arthritis
    (although I thinks she's just going to say watch your caleries and eat sensibly)

The reason I need to get some hands on advice is because I've not been eating properly. Instead of losing weight I've been gaining. It's not the meds, I checked.

I'm not building muscle because my joints wont take the type of work out I'ld need to do for that.

If I dont stop growing side ways I'll exploid. :shocked!:

My doctor clued in by looking at my blood work. She asked me what and how much I was eating in a typical day. I'm not exactly starving my self
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

diet wise ive been advised to stay away from citrus, dairy and red meat.

Thanks

Hey Colleen,

I have been steadily gaining weight, also. Even when I was taken off the prednisone.

You know when the doc asks whether you have had any unexpected weight loss or weight gain? Well I always used to joke that I would have the weight gain and I think I jinxed myself. :lol:

Anyway, we might be the weight gain people. It is hard not to get depressed about it sometimes. I am unable to weight train because of the pain. Walking is really uncomfortable, also.

Hey Sitc,

I was thinking about starting a mile wide club :lol: Ok I am not insinuating that you are that wide. I am not either...just some humor....I just sometimes look at myself and think of singing the song,
    Deep and Wide, but I am not talking about a river......Actually I should change it to Short and wide...hmm
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost