Thread: Lupus diet?

Thanks

Default Lupus diet?

HI,

I am wondering if anyone has followed a gluten free, red meat and dairy free diet and has had sucess with it? This diet is recommended for MS sufferers and also for autoimmune disease sufferers. I have had some bad test results back and I am getting desperate to find my miracle! My friend who has MS has been following this diet strictly and is almost off all her meds. Her doctors are super impressed.

I have fallen into a depression since my last rheumy visit and have been on a path of destruction eating everything in site to soothe myself. I have two small kids and a great desire to live long into old age or at least see them get married...any help out there???please.....

Thanks

Welcome Tanyaw,

I have tried it; though I haven't noticed a huge difference. Though everyone is different. What may work for one, may not work for another. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

I remember when I was first diagnosed and googled lupus, The Lupus Diet came up. After talking with my rhuemy, I was told there is no such thing as a Lupus diet.

Have you talked with your doctor about the depression? Sometimes we soothe with food, chatting on the forum, etc. I try to drink more water when I know I am reacting out of anxiety. Another good one is sugar free gum. You have the motion of eating without the calories and fat.

I have two children in elementary and want to see them graduate from college. Take one day at a time, limit stress and pace yourself. It's not easy though. More especially raising children. Hang in there. I would definately recommend talking with your doctor and see what he suggests.

Take care,

Faith

Thanks

Hi tanyaw

My sister has lupus and ceiliacs. She has been in remission for the lupus for many years now...but she thought it was back. A few years ago her healthy took a serious turn for the worst. She is very tiny to begin with and she suddled dropped 20 pounds that she could ill afford to lose. She was in a crisis situation.

Our doctor told her it's not lupus this is something new and fired her off for tests. It came back ceiliacs. She has been living gluten free for over two years now and feels WONDERFUL. But as I said she is in remission for the lupus so I dont know if the gluten free diet has helped her for the lupus or not. By the way ... cows are scared of her...she LOVES red meat and has not given that up in any way shape or form.

In case you are not aware of why some people have to avoid gluten I'll give you a quick blurb.

The gluten in wheat products coats the bowel in people with ceiliacs. It stops them from being able to absorbe nutrients from the food...they cant digest properly.....and basically are starving to death no matter how much they eat. For my sister she had to even swithch the tooth paste she used. Colgate uses wheat product to thicken their paste.

Pills use is as filler...processed meats often use it in their packaging. There are ceiliac societies that have offices all over the place. They hand out shopping guides which are updated frequently to keep people informed about product changes. They also have restaurant guids with lists of ceiliac friendly restaurants.

I found one in my area and took my sister there for her 50th birthday.

She bawled her eyes out all through the meal...they had bread cake cookies breaded fish and chicken croutons for salad all made with wheatless bread and it all tasted GREAT! So now she has a place that she can go for special occations

I would suggest you speak to a nutricianist...and make sure that when you take something out of your diet that you are replacing it with something well balanced.

Hope this helped.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi Tanyaw,

I am not sure that there is a miracle cure involving food, but I to believe that we can make it better or worse by the choiced we make in that department. With most diseases eating a diet with mostly fried and high fat or processed foods is never good for the body.

There are some foods that seem to aid inflammitory problems. I believe that a study on a certian type of cherries is going on. My doc has given me some pills that are all cherry.

Since with this disease everyone can react differently, some might have great success stories with the above diet, I have not felt a great difference, myself.

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

I decided to cut red meat - actually all meat except fish - after I was diagnosed. I try to eat as much organic fresh food as possible, lots of grains, little dairy. I do think it helped.

At various times I've tried cutting nightshades - tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant - but didn't find much difference. Haven't tried cutting wheat - I love my pasta!

I do think the most important thing is to eat healthily, and possibly experiment a bit to find what works for you.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Thanks for your replies.

Hatlady - do you think cutting out red meat helped? I rarely eat it but when I go on vacation back home or to Europe, I really have a meat fest. After 3 or 4 days of meat, I swell up in my hands. I love steak though.

I just got in touch with an old friend who is a Natropath so hopefully she can help...I will let anybody know who is interested.

Thanks

I agree with hatlady...

Most important thing is to eat good food. Not junk....though I really really like junk. hahahahhaha

Hat lady there are pasta's you can buy now that are made from rice flour. They are a little glueyer that regular pasta but if you rinse them well after cooking ... and do not over cook the noodles...it's pretty good and it's organic.

I didn't start getting sick until I quit smoking, changed my eating habits for the better and started working out. Kinda sucks actually. All those years of being oh so bad and I finally start taking care of myself and go to hell in a handbasket. Geesh
    Oh look ... a cookie