Thread: persistent cough

Thanks

Default persistent cough

For about three weeks i've had wheezing and a cough. It started with tightness in my chest when taking a deep breath then a week later I developed a very bothersome hacking cough. This started after starting plauquinel. I called my rheum. who told me to stop the medication and see what happens. Well the cough is still there and wheezing gets worse if I am sneezing or have the sniffles almost like allergy symtoms but i've never had allergies. The cough isn't always painful but i do sometimes get sharp pains in my chest but never last long. Anyone know what this could be or have similar symtoms??? My regular Dr. is treating it with singular but i've never had asthma in my life. Confused???????

Thanks

Did you hear the news last night about singulair?

My son is on that for his allergies and asthma and so is his son.

It causes mood swings and they can be quite severe to the point that they have caused people to become suicidal. Now mind you I was pretty sleepy last night while the news was on, so I didn't see it too good, but my daughter was telling me about it and I caught some of it.

But what I heard was the mood swing part. It was on fox five news. I'm not sure if anyone has actually hurt themselves while on this medication, but it's worth looking into. My son is looking into getting on another med because he's noticed the mood swings while on it. And those he can do without especially with a two year old around on the weekends.

I'm on plaquenil too and have also noticed a slight pick up of chest congestion, but I don't think it is from the plaquenil. I think it's just from my disease (copd) progressing on it's own. I think the plaquenil has actually helped me with pain and has actually done it's part in helping with aleaviating my overall chest discomfort. But on occassion I still end up needing to use steroids.

I am now getting over pneumonia. I was so sick there. I was in the hospital for two days. What a nightmare.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Lisa

Thanks

i too have been having a persistent cough. this started about a month ago. i thought it mightt have been just a cold. but now i dnt think so. it continues everyday, especially if i go out in colder weather or at nights

it gets really painful in my chest at times, and sometimes its so bad, i feel it down into my abdomen as it contracts with my coughing.
    suffering from lupus, wish i were living with it, and surviving

Thanks

I too got pain in my abdomin from the cough but that has gotten better. I did hear the report on singuliar yesterday too and it concerned me a bit. I've had a problem with depression some years ago so I really don't want to go there again. I will definitley pay attention to that but at this point i'm willing to try anything to make these coughing fits go away. My throat has become so raw from coughing. Thanks for the information.

Thanks

Christina

You should get that checked out...make sure it isn't viral.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hey Sitsc,

I have allergies. My doc told me to take Mucenix? spelling? It is supposed to help relieve mucus in the bronchial airways. It has helped.

I hope you feel better soon.

Faith

Thanks

For now...the only thing I'm allowed to take is Cold FX. Thank goodness it's been affective.

When I have trouble breathing I do the towel over the head and stream thing. Which hasn't happened much this winter.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hey Christina,

Do you have gerd? Sometimes that can cause asthma symptoms. I have never had asthma, but the last few years, I have been presenting with the same symptoms that you described. Some of the times, however, mine ended up becoming bronchitis.

I have an inhailer. I used one over the counter and after being diagnosed with bronchitis I occasionally use the inhailer from that.

Perhaps you should be allergy tested. Also, celiacs can cause many of those symptoms.

Take care,

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost