Thread: weird muscle aches

Thanks

Default weird muscle aches

I have been getting the weirdest muscle aches the past few weeks. For instance, several days ago, both hips hurt as if I had been doing squats or something. It didn't hurt to sit down, but, getting up and down, and to walk. It hurt to touch as if it was sore muscles, but, I hadn;t done anything. No exercise other than just my usual routines of housework, going to work, driving, etc.

Plus, off and on, my abdomen, and my rib cage will get all tense and sore, like I have been doing dozens of sit ups.

I just don't understand it. It takes a few days, and then goes away.

any thoughts.

Thanks

Sounds like a visit to the doctor is in order...I've had similar complaints about my abdomin...doc is scheduling an ultra sound for me. Which I still haven't heard back from as yet.

I hope some of the other members can shed some light on this to you. Lupus can affect every part of your body is some strange strange ways. Hard to tell what's what sometimes
    Oh look ... a cookie

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Muscle aches are known as "myalgia". It is quite common for Lupus patients to suffer from muscle aches. Also, lupus patients suffer from inflammation of the muscles (Myositis). Many doctors attribute out muscle aches to Fibromyalgia (a condition that co-exists with lupus for many of us).

The most common is muscle aches as a result of inflammation (since the biggest culprit in Lupus is inflammation). In any condition where significant inflammation exists (“strep” throat, hepatitis, cancer, systemic inflammatory types of arthritis, acute heart attack, etc.), signs and symptoms consist of fevers, sweats, chills, fatigue, weight loss and all over muscle aches, pains and weakness. Lupus – being an inflammatory disease – may well have any of these problems, and so the "all-over" muscle aches and pains (myalgias) are merely a secondary part of the overall disease.
    Secondly, in lupus patients with a significant component of arthritis, muscle atrophy (or wasting away) is often found, especially if the arthritis becomes chronic. It is human nature to protect or guard an area that hurts. When a joint hurts, we tend to favor that area and not use it as much. This may be either on a voluntary or a subconscious level, but the fact remains that it gets less use. This means that the muscle or joint gets smaller and weaker (atrophy) which causes them to ache and pain when they do get used. This is why a well-supervised exercise program is frequently prescribed for those of us with arthritic symptoms; that is, the exercises do not necessarily improve joint function but they certainly may help maintain good muscle tone, strength and function.

Now, chronic muscle inflammation may be present in lupus patients as part of an overlap syndrome with polymyositis all over muscle inflammation). Polymyositis can occur alone or as an overlap disease with Lupus, especially when the lupus presents with chronic inflammation.

Your doctor will need to determine the cause of your muscle complaints (myalgia or myositis) because the treatments may be different and will vary depending upon the severity and type of issue you are presenting. It is a good idea that you discuss your muscle problems with your doctor so that the cause can be determined and treatment can be started.

Best Of Luck
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks Saysusie

I need to push my doctor about that ultra sound...I've mentioned my discomfort to her several times...she's just acting on it now, and that's my family doctor. The rhuemy appears to be useless. She stuck me on plaquenil and that's about as far as her enterests go.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is why I always advocate that we, ourselves, become knowledgeable about our disease, its symptoms, its medications, its treatments, the co-existing diseases, and how the disease affects us. We MUST become our own health advocates. We must insist that doctors run tests to determine what is going on, we must insist that our doctors prescribe treatment for our symptoms, we must insist that doctors take us and our symptoms seriously. Do not let you doctors brush you off. Demand that they listen to you, that they treat you and that they take you seriously. In order to do this, you must be able to have informed, intelligent conversations with your doctor. Therefore, you must educate yourself. We are here to help you do this and to help you with issues that you may have with your doctors.
    It is your right to have health care and it is your right to demand that your health care is responsive to your condition and your symptoms.
    Keep up the fight....demand your rights to be treated!

Best Of Luck
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!