Thread: Antiphospholipid Syndrome

Thanks

Default Antiphospholipid Syndrome

My new rheumy had me run some blood tests several weeks ago so she could have a baseline for future measurement. She ran the B2GP and AntiSmith because my previous rheumy didn't have me do those.

On the B-2Glycopro IgA my results came out high (19U/mL). Some of the material I am reading says that this is an indication of Antiphospholipid Syndrome.

Does anyone know how high the test levels can be before they decide to start prescribing anti-coagulants? Does anyone have any insights or experience with these tests and what they mean?

Thanks.

Rob

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Rahbuh;
    Antiphospholipid syndrome is an autoimmune disorder, meaning that it occurs when the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissues and organs. APS is more common in women and in patients with other autoimmune or rheumatic diseases, particularly systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). It is referred to as "primary" when it occurs alone, and as "secondary" when it occurs in association with another disorder.
    You have to meet one or more of the following criteria to be diagnosed with APS:
    * Presence of persistent and moderate or high levels of anticardiolipin IgG and/or IgM antibodies
    * Have a positive result for lupus anticoagulant testing
    * Have the presence of persistent and moderate or high levels of anti-beta 2 glycoprotein 1 IgG and/or IgM antibodies

A high-positive = (lupus anticoagulant or more than 19 IgG binding units of anticardiolipin antibodies)
    A low-positive IgG = (fewer than 20 IgG binding units)
    A high-positive could mean that you are more likely to develop at least one new medical complication (Like Antiphospholipid Syndrome).

The standard is pretty much - negative = (<10 IgG phospholipid units [GPL] or <7.5 IgM phospholipid units [MPL]); low positive = (10-20 GPL or 7.5-15 MPL); or, high positive = (>20 GPL or >15 MPL).

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

howsabout (10-25-2011)

Thanks

Thank you very much for the info.

My lupus anticoagulant test came out negative, as well as the anticardiolipin IgG.

So I feel a little more relieved. It has only been a year and a half since I was diagnosed so I am still trying to figure out what I am in for. I know that everyone's experience with lupus is different. It is great having such a knowledge base to tap into throughout the journey.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Rob

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are most welcome. Yes, everyone's Lupus is different and we all develop different co-existing conditions along with our Lupus.
    We will always be here to research, answer questions, provide information and comfort to help you navigate through the myriad of symptoms, medications, treatments, etc.

I'm glad that your tests were negative!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!