Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theory on Sleep Meds

Thanks

Default Theory on Sleep Meds

Hi Everyone
    I haven't posted in awhile but have something to share. I was on Imovane (sedative similar to Lunesta) for almost 5 years....I became completely dependent on it for sleep. Also, during this time I had very low daytime energy, especially afternoon time. I assumed that it was all Lupus related - and maybe it was but I have been completely off of Imovane for one month now and I can't believe how much my overall energy has improved.
    I would think that I was really heading towards a remission if my joints weren't still so sore. But man its alot easier to deal with pain when you have somewhat normal energy!!!
    Anyhow, just thought I would share, it might be something to look at changing for those of you using sedatives. I weaned very slowly - using a pill cutter and that worked for me. I still had major withdrawal symptoms though for a couple of weeks.
    Best wishes...
    Karen

Thanks

Hey Kkelly,

How great that you no longer need those meds. Are you able to sleep all through the night? I am not on sleep aids per se, but fiberflex. It is supposed to relax my muscles as I also have fibromyalgia. There are times when I don't take it at night because I need to get up early and not be groggy. When I do that at first I feel much more energetic, but the pain gets worse, then I can't sleep at night, then I end up with no energy. Of course, I am not on immuran.

I hope that the pain goes away for you and the flare will only be a distant memory.

Have a flare free day,

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kkelly;
    I am happy that you are able to have energy and not suffer with unbearable pain.
    Like Sick-n-Tired, I have Fibromyalgia and I take Flexeril (a muscle relaxer). It helps me to sleep but, I too, feel groggy for hours the next day. If I don't take it, I have the exact same reactions as Sick-n-Tired (as well as not being able to get restful sleep at night). So, it's like a Catch 22 I guess.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Kkelly - good to hear from you! So glad you've found new energy without the sleep meds. I used to take Ambien (still do once in a rare while) but my doc wasn't a big fan so she strongly encouraged me to stop. Like Saysusie, I have FM and am on Flexeril. Unfortunately, it doesn't always help me sleep. Sometimes it does nothing for me at all and I'm still in pain all night. :cry: Don't understand that exactly. Something I need to talk over with my doc, I guess.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Jody,

I had some time around Christmas when the flexerol seemed useless. I was in so much pain and not sleeping. The doc allowed me to increase it. I did only for that time and when I was able to stand the pain, I went back to the original dosage.

Have a great day,

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Thanks, Karen. It's on my 'list' for my doctor's appointment next week. I really need some help with the pain and my inability to sleep so often. We all know what a lack of sleep does...everything else gets magnified and I feel like crud the next day. Vicious circle.... I'll definitely ask about increasing the dose.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hey Jody,

So sorry to hear about your insomnia. There are times when I have that, too in spite of the flexerol. Contrary to the song, counting my blessings or even sheep doesn't work.
    Right now I am having a hard time keeping my eyes open and string a coherant sentence together. I'm not sure what has hit me, but it feels like a ton of bricks.

I hope you have a very restful nights sleep,

karen

Thanks

Default other sleep aids..

Hi everyone
    Thks for the responses. My sleep is not perfect and pain still wakes me - but I take motrin when it does and usually get back to sleep fairly quick.

I had a couple of other thoughts. I take tylenol blue (aches and strains) formula when the pain is bad and when I feel insomnia coming on. Motrin also helps me sleep too although I don't think its a good idea to take every night with all the other drugs.
    Another thing to try from the all natural route is something called "magneleuvres" a homeopath told me about them. They are a mineral supplement with magnesium and a bunch of other things that calms the body/mind. Magnesium tends to help me with muscle pain too.

They come in packets of 30 /per box. You mix them with water or a bit of juice right before bed. I assume you can get in US but let me know if anyone wants to try and cant find. I can always mail. They are $30 box. I think these were the reason I was able to get off the 5 year sedative habit.....

Lastly I take cherry juice extract also often at bedtime. They say its a serotonin booster and great for pain inflammation. I really like the taste also and it gives a great boost of vitamin c which is great for all of us. This is my bedtime routine although now that things are smoothing out and I am sleeping much better overall, I don't feel I need all or any of these things all the time.

Oh, I really hope things start to improve for everyone. I have to say that after 5 years of very active disease I feel like I am really starting to turn a corner. Not a remission per se but a breakthrough in terms of overall quality of life...I wish that for all of you.
    best wishes for happiness and pain free days,
    Karen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

A turn around for us is worth celebrating. We may not all achieve remission, but just to experience "feeling better" is a milestone. I am so happy that you feel that you are headed in that direction.
    Sleep may always be elusive for most of us, at least a good recuperative sleep. But, we are usually willing to trade not getting good sleep for not having to suffer with too much pain. We take what we can get, huh?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Karen,
    Congrats to you. I too had an accomplishment this week....I (knowingly this seems so stupid to some) was able to work 2 consecutive weeks without missing any work. This hasn't happened since October. I was happy....

I also bought a new bed, with a very good mattress. An orthapedic, hypoallerginci spinal master master made by Lady of Americana. It's a wonder what kind of relief a good mattress can bring to someone with FM, Lupus, or just plain RA. I have SLE, and RA, and man, this has help with being able to at least feel more comfortable and being able to get "some" sleep.

Congrats and Praises are sung for your celebration!!!

Robin
    Robin Lynn Byler
    Live, Laugh and Learn....you never know which one someone else is going to benefit from....!
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    robin.byler@hotmail.com