Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update

Thanks

Yesterday was interesting. I had my app't with my Rheumy. Before my app't I stopped in my GP's office. She called me for two reasons, My magnesium level is low even with taking it daily. I can usually tell when it is low by the way I feel. Around Christmas I suspected it was getting low so I slightly increased my dose on my own. My level being low explains most, if not all, of my symptoms of lately. She is now recommending that I take 3 times the dose I had been told to take. The neuro app't will be put off to see this is causing my problems.

The other reason she called is because my cholesterol was quite high. The cholesterol was a bit of a shock because I weigh less than I have in years. I admit I haven't been eating well due to stress. New thinking... "Oatmeal and exercise"... "Oatmeal and exercise"... two things I used to do almost every day... those words in the last year were almost extinct from my vocabulary. I have to find time to get back to exercising again.

At one point I was so good about exercising, I was going to the gym 4-5 days a week. I wasn't a strenuous exerciser, just walking on the treadmill and some light weight training on the machines. But...... I felt great then. Doing that and taking my meds, I could keep up with anyone. No one would have suspected I was "sick". I would have been able to shovel my driveway yesterday. But instead, I flagged down a guy with a plow and paid him.

I attempted to shovel but quickly realized, it wasn't a good idea!!! I shoveled a small area and thought about how I'd feel for several days if I continued. I wanted to do it ... just because I am stubborn and I am not lazy!!!! I thought about how I wouldn't be able to do simple things around the house, for possibly a week, if I did the whole driveway, I thought about what that would do to my stress level, my house work, my school work, and my kids. Then I asked myself, if proving to myself, that I could do it, would be worth how I paid for it later.... I decided to bow down to the snow and give up... that was difficult for me. We ended up getting about 10 inches of heavy sticky snow.

Stress also causes Magnesium to be depleted further.. as does drinking coffee. So now I have to give up my coffee/switch to decaf. I can't do it all at once- I'll have to try to do half caf for awhile. I'm sure the magnesium loss is in part due to my recent flare. I lose my magnesium through my kidneys. The lupus has mildly damaged my kidneys and luckily my only problems, with the kidneys, are the magnesium loss and occasional edema(depending on stress or what I eat).

My Rheumy was glad that my joint pain was better by increasing my plaquenil. She agreed that my present "ailments" are probably related to the hypomagnesia.

I'm glad that I have online friends like everyone here. It really helps to vent, to ask questions and to know that what I am going through is normal. My biggest goals right now are to reduce stress, eat better and slowly start exercising again.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hello MommyKaren,

My Dr. told me my cholesterol is was too high also. My weight is right where it should be for my age/height, as well as my amount of body fat. I also eat lots of oatmeal, and pretty healthy food all around. So, my next visit will involve what I need to do to get the cholesterol down. I'll let you guys know what the Dr. tells me to do. On a different subject, we got a foot of wet, heavy, nasty snow up here in Maine yesterday. I have one of those snowblowers with all the bells and whistles, 20 horsepower, self propelled, ha ha ho ho hoooo (my bad Tim Allen impersonation). Well, the snowblower and I have been defeated. It won't even touch this nasty slushy mess. It just bogs down and quits. So, I bow my head in shame, and call a plow to come clear my driveway. Now you ladies need to understand, this is a big deal for us guys. Calling a snowplow is taboo, it's ranked amongst such shameful acts such as stopping to ask for directions, or reading the instructions for putting your kids swingset together. It just isn't done. To add insult to injury, my neighbor has a snowblower with tracks like a tank, and a plexiglass shield to keep the operator safe and dry. It even has custom graphics, and a flame paintjob. He calls it Brutus. Grrr! The nerve of that guy! So now, not only am I hanging my head in shame, and defeat, but I have a serious case of Blower Envy as well. Great, just what I didn't need! Oh well, life goes on.

Rob

Thanks

Default Snowblower

Rob,
    I know it is terrible of me to say so, but your post gave me the best chuckle! I honestly saw Tim Allen sneering at the neighbor! I can totally relate to your shame/frustration. I am a terrible cook, and my husband looks at me like I have 6 ears sometimes. As a woman, it is expected that we can do at least passable things in the kitchen. I can't even boil potatoes properly! So, I giggle at your distress, but I also laugh at my own difficulties. At least yours is due to physical limitations. I just don't have a brain wired to cook! haha Thank you for painting such a funny picture for us to share.
    Karen, I am so glad of the supportive boyfriend. And that you are not taking too many doses of Tylenol. Sorry if I misunderstood. Hopefully the Mag will clear up the headaches and other stuff for you, and the lessening of your work days will also improve things for you.
    Take care, all.

Susan

Thanks

:lol: Blower Envy as well! Now that's funny.

Rob, we got your wet sloppy snow here last night...but HA it was fallowed by lots and lots of rain...so it's gooOOoOone long gone.

As for the cholesterol issues....a cup of cheerios will help to lower your cholesterol, AND lentils are very good for sucking the fat out of your blood stream. Let me see if I can find the recipey for BBQ lentils (NO LAUGHING) it's very tastey...but ummm has an unfortunate side effect that may make you want to leave a few windows open...or even better drop by that neighbor's house for a visit.....you know the dude with the stupid snow blower hahahahaha revenge is sweet or in this case ... not so sweet brb with the recipey.

Recipe By : USA Dry Pea & Lentil Council
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Fatfree Main Dishes
    Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 1/3 C Lentils -- rinsed
    5 C Water
    1/2 C Molasses
    2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    1 Tbsp Vinegar
    1/2 C Ketchup
    1 Tsp Dry Mustard
    1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce -- or vegetarian kind
    16 oz Tomato Sauce
    2 tbsp Minced Onions
    1/4 tsp Liquid Barbecue SmokeŽ -- optional

Add lentils to water, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 min or until
    tender but whole. Add remaining ingredients to the cooked lentils and
    bake at 350 deg F for 45 min.

Lentils are great in chilli as well as soup and stew. The recipey above there is very easy to make and you can seperate it out and freeze some so you can just pull it out and reheat it. You should try to eat lentils frequent ly. I serve them once a week. If you are concerned about lowering your cholesterol...lentils in you diet is a great begining...so are almonds

Shutting up now
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Default Lentils and Snowblowers

You guys are a riot!! I love Sits_inthe_Corner's idea of revenge, Rob. You could go over there for a closer look at the snowblower and innocently fog up his garage. I will laugh on this all day.

Susan

Thanks

Default a great laugh!!

You guys had me rolling on the floor!! I needed a good laugh!!

Sometimes, I think that, I think too much.... It came to my recollection that awhile back I was positive for the Antiphospholipid or the Anticardiolipin Antibody. I can't remember which. If I remember right, these have something to do with clotting problems??? if so, should I be more concerned having high cholesterol?

I had 3 pregnancies, all 3 with preeclampsia. Each one was progressively worse. The last one I delivered 8 weeks early, had severe preeclamspia, my kidneys shutting down, I abrupted and the dr said my placenta was about a 1/3 damaged/dead from clots... at that time he thought I should have tested positive to Lupus.. but all my tests were negative. I was clueless about Lupus then(7+ years ago). I'd love to see what he actually tested me for now that I know more. who knows, maybe he didn't check for a lipid antibody..... it would all fit.. I was naive about things then, I don't want to find myself in that situation again. Maybe that is why I think too much now!!

Again, thanks for the great laughs, I read it to my boyfriend and he got a good chuckle out of it too. I think I'll stay away from the lentils though. I don't want to scare him away!!! Maybe when his kids come over, I can feed some to them right before they go home to his ex!!! hehehehe :twisted:

Thanks

MommyKaren

If you have high cholesterol you really need to get it under control and you need to eat things that well help clear the gunk out of your arteries, like almonds and walnuts and cheerios and yes the dreaded lentils...just make sure sweetness has some to...then there can be no finger pointing. Finger pulling is a private matter between you and sweetness. LOL

A glass of red wine has also been found to help clean out the arteries, but you must be very careful. With the meds we take I only have maybe 3 glasses of wine a week.

Wouldn't hurt him to have some lentils too.

My favorit site for tastey recipes that are heart friendly is www.cookinglight.com there's great quick tastey and easy to prepare dishes.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

finger pulling... hmmm I can hear the music already!!! lol

Yes, I know eating right is important and I need to do so!! My cholesterol was high before and I got it down by dieting and exercising. I'm hoping to do the same again. I ate oatmeal, almonds, pumpkin seeds(good for magnesium too!!), salmon, baked/broiled chicken and lots of salads.. and when I really had to have something sweet, I'd have a little dark chocolate with almonds. I already enjoy an occasional glass of red wine, but I do it rarely..... Alcohol depletes the magnesium.

I haven't been eating well lately.... to me, this is a bit of a wake up call.

Thanks

Default supplements

I used to take supplements that were "good for the heart". I think one was Co-Q10, does anyone know what others are good??? I read magnesium is also good for the heart and that low levels can cause high blood pressure... Magnesium has also been shown to help with cholesterol levels. Increasing my Mag certainly won't hurt my cholesterol levels!!

Here is what I've got- the lab results came in the mail yesterday.

My total is 246 (yes this is high!!)

My HDL is 77.

If your HDL cholesterol is:
    Less than 40 mg/dL Too low
    More than 40 mg/dL Beneficial especially if it's above 60 mg/dL

My LDL is 149.5

If you are 20 years old or older, have no heart disease and your LDL cholesterol is:
    Less than 100 mg/dL Desirable
    100 - 129 mg/dL Near optimal/above optimal
    130 - 159 mg/dL Borderline high
    160 - 189 mg/dL High
    190 mg/dL and above Very high

My ratio is 1.95 (if I figured it out right) if I am doing this right, my ratio isn't bad.. my LDL appears to only be borderline high, but I do agree my LDL needs to be lower!!

Triglycerides are good- 98.

I'm still laughing about the blower envy and dropping "a bomb" on the neighbor.

I haven't been sleeping well this week. I've had a bit of insomnia and a stuffy nose. I only have lab class today so, maybe I can sneak in a nap after that (before the kids get home from school). I was going to ask my friends to meet me out for lunch because I haven't seen them in awhile but I know that Friday and Sat are the most tiring days for me. I have to be sure I am rested up.