Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lupus and Birth Control Pills

Thanks

Hi Papillon,

Wondering where you are and how goes life? Have you found your alternative to the BC dilemma ....

Hope nothing is kickin' your butt....and the rough time from BC has stopped.

Thinking of you...
    Oluwa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvwine2007
    I've been on the pill for almost 10 years and my rheumy doesn't seem concerned about it. Right now I am on Seasonique (sp?)...one of those that you take for 3 months and then have a period. I've been on other brands, but I was on Aleve for the longest time, until the military switched brands.
    I am also on Seasonique and find that it has been the best so far. My flare ups seem to be very hormonally aggravated, so only having 4 periods a year instead of 12 is a big improvement. This pill also features an estrogen taper, so that you don't go from one dose to nothing. It slowly reduces the amount of estrogen in the last week of pills so that you still get your period, but your hormones don't get so out of whack. This seems to be a big help, too. It was challenging to get my health insurance to cover it (they see it as a choice and not a need), but after a letter from my OBGYN and a letter from my rheum I got it cleared.

IUDs have been proposed to me as an alternate BC option, but they scare me... Although it was many years ago, my mom got pregnant while using one!!

Thanks

hmm, ive always been told to avoid birth control, so ive never been on them. but then my cycle gets worse and worse each month. my last cycle caused such trauma i was hospitalised. i cant even take pills during this time, because i vomit and have diarrhea so much for the whole duration. and having already been diagnosed with colitis as well, these times are painful and scary for me. it has become my greatest drawback, and my docs dont know for sur what to do, because of the probs the BC's might cause.

any suggestions? ive been to a number of gynae, but no luck yet.
    suffering from lupus, wish i were living with it, and surviving

Thanks

im currently on depo-provera. it was a horrible choice. ive had two shots and am definatly am NOT going back in for the third. my rhemy thinks it has aggrivated my lupus. please aviod getting the shot!

Thanks

My sister was on depo-provera, she also has lupus but is in remission. She only ever had the one shot and had an adverse reaction to it, so she stopped after that. She's not on anything at the moment.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Actually ive never taken Seasonique i was put on ovral and told to just not take the inactive tablets. Ovral is about twice the strength of most birth control and apparently can keep endimitrosis under control. Seasonique was just the first brand to market continuous birth control options.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default I can relate

Hello
    I can relate and understand your worries. I am 22 years old and have been on The pill (Orth tri Cyclen) since I was 16. I use the bc to regulate my cycle and it also helps with acne. Iam on 4oomg of plaquenil and 2.5 prednisone per day. Since the pill is the old fashion method I feel it is best. As long as it is taken at the same time everyday or within a 1 hr window. Maybe the pill would be something you could consider.

wish you the best of luck!
    [/b]

Thanks

:? I stopped birth control pills probably 4-5 years ago, but was on it for almost 10 years. I just decided to stop, just seemed like being on it for so many years seemed to be harming my body somehow...

My doctors (gyno and rheumie) suggest to avoid taking the pill again. Any type of hormonal change can trigger a bad flare, which I totally want to prevent. No need for me to take birth control. I do get PMS and those headaches and cramps, but that's when I turn to Midol.
    "I've learned that when bad times come, you can let them make you bitter or use them to make you better."

Thanks

Im on the pill and started it after i started getting lupus flares and had no problem with it. Mines just the regular microgynon one that loads of people in the UK have, but yea, my rheumy said theres no problem with it and i seem fine

Thanks

I could never take the birth control pills as they would make me very very sick and my blood pressure would shoot straight up. My husband got clipped lol. I have never had to worry about it.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.