Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lupus and Birth Control Pills

Thanks

Default Lupus and Birth Control Pills

Hi all,

So is anyone out there taking birth control medication? I'm having a tough time.
    I have been on birth control for the past 3 years (way pre-lupus or any lupus like symptons) because I get extremely nauseated the first few days of my period and after a trip to the hospital, my gyno put me on the patch, Ortho Evra.
    Well now the patch is considered evil incarnate (with good reason) and my new gyno has me on a low dose hormore pill and my rheumy is monitoring that because she doesn't like the idea of me on the pill.
    But this low dose sucker isn't working. I am on my second really horrific period. I missed work (and I hate to miss work if it's not the lupus kicking my butt).
    just wondering if folks here have found a happy medium alternative or other prescription.

Thanks

Hi Papillon,

Sorry to hear of your trouble with the pill. I guess it is the estrogen that the doc doesn't want you to take. I heard that hrt doesn't help the symptoms.

As for me....I had an emergency hysterectomy 11 years ago...

I hope that the doc will be able to find a happy medium for you.

In him,

Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

No birth control here...hubby went to the doctor's and spent a day and a half with a a bag of frozen peas....bless his socks. So I do not need to be on birth control.

Thanks

I've been on the pill for almost 10 years and my rheumy doesn't seem concerned about it. Right now I am on Seasonique (sp?)...one of those that you take for 3 months and then have a period. I've been on other brands, but I was on Aleve for the longest time, until the military switched brands.

Thanks

Ive been on a 50 microgram pill for about 6 years. I was recently moved to a lower dose. I also had massive issues ortho products also and was put on the pill continuously because of my horrible periods. Have you talked to your doctor about that option? It made a huge difference for me!

Thanks

Hi Papillion,

I am currently taking Seasonique also. If you can make it through the first three months; you're body gets on track. Menses is once every 3 months. Prior to this, I was on Ortho-Evra and loved it. I had inceased joint pain and asked my ob/gyn.

Good luck,

Faith

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. With the ER visit I will be seeing all my docs really soon. (Funny how quick you get a follow up ER appt but how long you wait for normal appts.)
    I'll see how my rheumy feels about seasonique. She's seriously on this low dose or no dose vibe.

Thanks

have you thought of an IUD? :roll: I just got my niece to get one, its the best thing she ever did! Some have no hormones. and they can be taken out at any time, or left in for up to 8 years.
    Might be a good question
    Kim

Thanks

I also use an IUD. I'm on my second one, actually. I use the Mirena, which is a 5 year one and releases small doses of progesterone only. I have convinced several friends to get them (I should be getting commission), and they all love them. Periods are light and practically non-existent. Can get cramps in the first few months, but then less than before.

I have known several Lupies that feel traditional birth control pills have affected their health poorly, including my sister, who actually thinks the start of her symptoms were related to the pill. I was on them back before I was diagnosed, too, so who knows.

Anyway, good luck with finding a method that works for you!
    Missy

Thanks

I too have an IUD and in the beginning it caused me problems but now everything is okay. I have had mine sine June 07.