Thread: best lupus-friendly excersise

Thanks

Default best lupus-friendly excersise

okay, i'm trying to find a way to still be as active as possible. what excersise/physical activity has worked best for you guys? for me, doing anything with my hands is out of the question due to joint pain, but has anyone tried yoga or stuff like that?

-lizzie
    be joyful. seek the joy of being alive.

Thanks

Walking on tremil is good, that's what I do. I hear yoga and tai chi are good for arthritis, I've been looking for dvd's on both to try. My hands and feet are the worse for me, I make sure I stretch and flex them every morning. It hurts a little, but relieves and does help when your done. Swimming is great, if you have a pool or access to one. Good luck on your search, if you find a good exercise let me know .
    Cheryl

Thanks

Have to agree with Cheryl, do what feels good.

Most days I do treadmill or elliptical, some days I'll do recumbent bicycle. When I can, I do light weights - I try to do SOME weights a few times a week, but then, I started exercise and weights when I was in my 30's. (more than 20 years ago)

Yoga can be wonderful, and Tai Chi is oh so fabulous. I have trouble finding classes at the times I can take them.

Basically - stay as active as you can, don't push yourself to exhaustion or pain. Do be sure you clear with your doctor if you're starting an exercise program.

Actually, I feel better on days I've exercised - it gives me more energy and I typically have lower pain levels.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

I do the eliptical trainer as often as i can and when i get really bad richard simmons was my savior yea for sweatin' to the oldies!

Thanks

Default I started working out with my husband

After his heart attack. Then things started going down hill for me...my joints flared and I was scared to go back to the bike and the treadmill even though every one from my doctor to the physical therapist told me to.

Finally I started back...slowly...taking my time. For awhile I got worse but I kept at a gentle pass and now I've started to up the pace abit. There will be no jogging but a steady even pace is fine. And you joints will let you know when to back off.

I feel much better now that I'm working out again. Even if I'm not losing and weight. I'm more flexible.

I tried Tia chi and I loved it, but my husband pooped out on me and it's not much fun to do by yourself. Maybe this spring I'll joint a group that works out in the park down the road from me.

Thanks

I've been doing Kripalu yoga for the last 4 years and it's been super-helpful.
    There are lots of different kinds of yoga and it's important to find one that works for you. I also love to walk and ride my bike at a slow pace with my husband when I'm feeling good.
    Missy

Thanks

I do stretching exercises every morning when i wake up. Just stretch from head to leg. Its really help, although sometimes get painful but you will feel better after you work out.

Thanks

I like the elliptical, too - my rhemy says it good because it's very low impact. I haven't gotten disciplined enough to do it every day. I'm working up to a little longer each time (just 17 minutes last time...but it's a start, right?) I also lift very weights (very light) on weight machines, not the free weights. Rheumy is a big fan of that, too. My bones are thinning some (prednisone and a hereditary pre-disposition) so the weight bearing stuff is important. I really DO feel better when I work out, even if I'm pooped when I start. Can't push to the point of exhaustion though. It's not like exercise when you're in great health - us lupies don't recover from exhaustion like we might've done before we got sick.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Default Hot Yoga

Hi everyone
    I haven't tried this yet.....but there are some new articles on "hot yoga" being very helpful for lupus and RA sufferers. The idea of being in a super hot room to exercise doesn't really appeal to me but if you google it, there are a bunch of recent press articles saying its been effective.
    Please post if you try and its helpful.
    Karen
    PS - am going to try this week if I can.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Let us know how it goes KKelly
    Look For The Good and Praise It!