Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypoglycemia and CellCept

Thanks

Default Hypoglycemia and CellCept

I have been having episodes of what I think is low blood sugar. I will eat something like mashed potatoes with my dinner and then an hour later I am starving, weak and shaky. This has been going on for a while now. I walked a marathon a couple years back and had to eat something every mile because I would feel like I was about to pass out. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms? My SLE seems to be under control for now but now I have this to deal with.

I know that hypoglycemia is listed under side-effects for CellCept but my doctor doesn't agree that anything could be causing this. Fasting blood sugar was normal and they seem to think it is all in my head...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks

Hi STaylor,

So sorry to hear your problems. I sometimes get those problems and I dont take callcept though.
    I used to have a friend who was diabetic and he said that potatoes was like taking sugar because the starch turns into sugar in our bodies. I believe with the right amount of protien that it is made better but he had to work around the exchanges when he was going to eat potatoes.

Hope that you get to feeling better,

Karen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

STaylor;
    I have the same issues and I just put it off to low blood sugar. But, like you, my fasting blood sugar was normal. I do not take Cellcept, however. So, for you and me, I am going to do some research on this and I will get back to you. ok?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I have not had this problem before, but did take Cellcept for several years. I wish you the best in finding out the problem or at the very least, how best to deal with it. I think there are so many nuances in side effects that can't all be listed nor understood.

I remember when my kidneys were the worst that I actually felt back pain from it. My nephrologist at the time assured me it was muscular pain, because "most of the time, people have no pain with nephritis." Do I have any doubt it was from the nephritis? No.
    Missy

Thanks

SaySusie,

Good to hear I am not the only one. It seems like I am always hungry. My doctor took me off of my thyroid medication 2 months ago thinking that was the problem but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. It doesn't really seem to matter what I eat either.

I'm begining to think it is related to hormones.

What are your symptoms like? Let me know what you find out.

Thanks!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

STaylor;
    Like you, I am hungry almost all of the time. In order to avoid blowing up like a blimb, I munch on fresh fruit, nuts and fresh vegetables all day long! Otherwise, I'd be eating doughnuts, cookies, ice cream, etc. When I run out of fruit and vegetables or nuts, I fly into a panic because then, I am running around the house looking for something that I can stuff in my mouth IMMEDIATELY!! I mean, my hunger is such that I can't even take the time to make a sandwich...like I need something NOW!! It's crazy.
    I have not had time to do the research yet, but I will and I will let you know what I find out. In the meantime, keep lots of fresh fruit, nuts and vegetables handy so that your hunger does not cause you to eat too much of the wrong things. Hang In There!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default Low Blood Sugar

STaylor, You mentioned you had mashed potatoes for dinner. Did you have any meat or beans with that? Any sort of protein?
    Potatoes are a starch that is digested quickly, turned into sugar and rapidly stored or used. Then there is nothing left for the body to "run" on, as the sugar is "used up." Thus, the sugar levels begin to slowly go down, while the body struggles to convert stored sugars into usable "food", and we feel weak. Proteins are digested much more slowly, leaking "food" into the blood stream over a longer period of time. Fats further slow down the digestion process (even of the starches, a little), because they digest VERY slowly. This is why the best diets chant "balance, balance". I may be running off on something that is moot, if you are eating protein and a generally balanced diet, but lots of people really do not know about the digestive processes of different foods. For example, brown rice is coarser and takes more time and energy to digest than white rice - hence, the recommendation to eat brown rice in leiu of white rice. Same with sweet potatoes versus regular. People who suffer with hypoglycemia often have to make modifications in their diet, much like a diabetic, because they have to keep a consistent flow of nutrients digesting. Several small, rather than 3 large meals are also recommended.
    Forgive me for rattling, friends. This is a subject dear to my heart. I actually wrote a book about this!! It is used internally for patient teaching with the company where I worked when I wrote it, but it took a lot of research and time to write it, so the subject remains dear to me. I will not rattle further, but these ideas should get you going in the right direction. If you want further suggestions, just let me know.

Susan

Thanks

Yes, I make sure to eat well and balanced. I had chicken and asparagus with the potatoes. I do try to stay away from the sugar now and anything "white" that will go through my system quickly. I don't touch alcohol or caffine anymore because I also have a heart condition called Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia that is made worse by stimulants like caffine.

SaySusie - that is exactly how I feel! I get frantic if I don't have food around me all the time! I do try to have some healthy things around me but I am bad about the fruit - I'll try that. Thanks.

I've started eating every couple hours, that helps a little. I just hate that I am always thinking about food or sleep!

Thanks

SuzieQ - any other advice about what I can eat to keep the digestion slower? Is fruit okay? Seems like that would go through you pretty quickly too, although it has fiber in it so maybe not. Any good snacks that I can carry around with me?

Thanks!

Thanks

Hey STaylor,

Happy you posted this I'm beginning to wonder about my eating issues and Cellcept as well but I'm kind of different. I don't get hungry but I get really moody and grumpy which I usually associate with when my blood sugar is too low. So then I'll eat something and feel a lot better but then soon after I dip again.
    I'll be honest that I have a sugar problem. I ate half a container of icing because it was there. But I had the same problem occur when I ate a whole bag of walnuts.
    None of this is like me since I usually eat like a bird.
    And I'm not on Prednisone anymore which is what I used to chalk weird eating up to.
    Does Plaqueneil (well hydroxychloroquine) have any weird food related side effects because I just started that last week?