Thread: False Positive Syphillis Tests

Thanks

Default False Positive Syphillis Tests

Has anyone here had a false positive syphillis test? Are these tests given to diagnose Lupus? I received a call from my doctor's office and was told I was tested positive and had to have another test. I am waiting the results. I did some research and found out that some people with Lupus test positive? I was shocked! I still cannot believe this. Thank you for any information. Maxine

Thanks

Default Re: False Positive Syphillis Tests

Dear Maxine!

Don't worry, most of the time lupus patient test positive for syphillis. Tell you my story : 29 yrs ago when I was going to get married I had my blood work for the license and ...surpriseeeeeeee!! positive for syphillis and being a virgin !!!!! :? Hahaha I Laugh now , but back then I cried, I couldn't understand. Anyway I had a second test that came out negative and after a pair of years I was diagnosed with lupus... there was the answer for the positive one , which kept me thinking for that time( my husband told me he trusted me but I guess he also kept thinking something was wrong even that he didn't mention it)

So I have no syphillis, but I do have SLE and all it's cousins ( compliacations and syndromes) :x !!

stay relax, everything wil be ok for you and life will go on!!

Blessings from this corner of the planet,

Marinera

Thanks

Default Thank you so very much!

I cannot thank you for answering this. It helps me and puts me at ease to know this. I have been married for 18 years and my husband and I are very much in love. Still, it is stressful! As if we don't have enough to worry about. I would like to hear other people's experiences if they have had them. God Bless You. Maxine

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Maxine;
    My story is similar to Marinera. I was not diagnosed with Lupus until 1985, however, I believe that I was symptomatic back in high school!
    I, too, tested positive for syphillis when I was a virgin in high school. It was only because I was a virgin that the doctors decided to test further and, after doing so, told me that I DID NOT have syphillis. Apparently, they knew nothing about Lupus and I, at the time, did not relate my myriad of symptoms to anything other than being very physically active and so always suffering from joint pains, headaches and what I thought were heat strokes!
    Like Marinera, I can look back and laugh at it now...but at the time, I was devastated. I was then so glad to be told that it was not syphillis, that I didn't care to know anything else!
    I have since learned that, it is common for Lupus patients to present a false positive test for syphillis. So...like Marinera said, do not fret at all about this!!
    Many of us Lupus sufferers have "been there - done that!!"

Best of Luck To You
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Thank you for answering!

God Bless you for telling me your story. I graduated from high school in 1985, we must be around the same age. I cannot imagine for one second that happening to me at that age! At least I am somewhat mature (ha ha) now. Being told that when you were so young must have been devestating. At least it didn't take me long to find the connection to the Lupus. Wow. It is amazing to me how people can go through so much and still be so strong. I will learn a lot on this forum.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Maxine;
    Thank You So Much For Your Compliments
    I certainly hope that we can be the place where you find answers, support, understanding and compassion!! That's what we are here for!!
    Yes, it was devastating to me to be told that at such a young age and knowing that I had never had sex (lol). My brain went into overdrive, like...swimming pools? No! Toilet seats??? No!!! It went on and on and on. I never told my mom at all (not until I was an adult). I did tell my daughter when she began her round of testing for Lupus so that she would not be caught off guard like I was :lol:

Keep us advised of how your tests are going!! We are here for you and want you to know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Diagnosing Lupus is a marathon

Thank you for making me feel so welcome here. I know what you mean about not telling anyone. It does make you feel so ashamed. Even though I know what is going on now, it isn't something you want to announce in church if you know what I mean. In the back of my mind, I think there would be someone thinking, "So THAT'S what has been wrong with her all this time!" It has been like running a marathon trying to get to the bottom of why I don't feel like other people do. Thanks again. Maxine

Thanks

Default Key to my diagnosis

It was the false positive that finally led to my Lupus diagnosis. After 6 months of testing, the doctors were stumped by my symptoms. I happened upon a Dr. Donohue article in the paper about Lupus and the false positive. I tested positive on a job interview and when getting married. I went with this new information to a Rhuemy and had my diagnosis.