Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can lupus patient go for beach . island vacation?

Thanks

Default Can lupus patient go for beach . island vacation?

Can lupus patient go for beach . island vacation?

I personally like to travel but because of diagnosed of Lupus and must limit to sun exposure so make me feeling uncomfortable.

If I want to go for travel, what preparation i need to do?

Thanks

Lots of Tagament and claritin D I live in Florida and find that if i look i can pretty much hop from shady area to shady area. I would recomend looking into the winter. The UV is very low and there is less complication with the sun (in the summer even for a second it feels like your skin will burn right off!) and you can realistically wear long sleves and pants!

Thanks

Jesseyleigh, look for the thread "Traveling with Lupus..Any Good Ideas" and read the replies. I'm going to Hawaii in March and I asked board members for some advice. I received LOT'S of good ideas. I think you'll find some helpful things there.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I agree, try out the "travelling with lupus" thread - some fabulous ideas from people who have travelled a lot.

have wonderful trips and tell us about all your adventures when you return!
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mnjodette
    Jesseyleigh, look for the thread "Traveling with Lupus..Any Good Ideas" and read the replies. I'm going to Hawaii in March and I asked board members for some advice. I received LOT'S of good ideas. I think you'll find some helpful things there.

Jody
    Okie... Thanks mnjodette and hatlady for the thread. I will go there to visit..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hatlady
    I agree, try out the "travelling with lupus" thread - some fabulous ideas from people who have travelled a lot.

have wonderful trips and tell us about all your adventures when you return!
    Yea, i'm in progress to plan.. I hope i can really go for a trip. There are alot of concenrs that i need to think. The place that i planned to go its really lots of sun exposure.. Not easy to plan..

Thanks

oo i read that i live in a tropical climate those were my suggestions

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jesseyleigh
    Lots of Tagament and claritin D I live in Florida and find that if i look i can pretty much hop from shady area to shady area. I would recomend looking into the winter. The UV is very low and there is less complication with the sun (in the summer even for a second it feels like your skin will burn right off!) and you can realistically wear long sleves and pants!
    Thx for ur advice. Shady area & wear long sleves and pant.

Thanks

Hi Flyaway,

I went on my first ever cruise last summer. That was before my diagnosis but it was great. There are places that are shaded and you would need loads of sunscreen. I would get up in the morning and put some on then makeup and then some more and all to sit in the shade.

Have fun and be careful.

Karen

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I don't see any reason why you couldn't, but definitely plan ahead. One person mentioned going in the winter months, this is the best advice I've heard. In the winter months, north of the equator, the majority of tropical destinations recieve a significantly smaller dose of UV Radiation due to the tilt of the Earth, and the extra filtering the atmosphere provides when the planet is "tilted", so to speak. This is a measurable, and very noticeable phenomenon. Also, the winter temps in places like coastal Mexico, and the Carribean, are very comfortable in the winter months. Lower humidity in the winter too. Light colored, light weight clothing with full sleeves/leg coverage is a must, and be a soldier. What I mean is, recon, or scout out the little areas of shade on the beach, the boardwalk, where ever your days exploration is going to take you, and use them. It sounds like its all a big pain, but it really becomes habit, and is no reason to not enjoy yourself. Of course, sunscreen should be the constant companion of any Lupus patient always. It's even more important on vacation. Take PLENTY. Plan ahead, and have fun.