Thread: hives?

Thanks

Default hives?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this whole autoimmune thing. I have my first rheumatoligist on Tuesday and my primary care doctor is really thinking I have SLE. One of the most annoying things I've been dealing with is hives. They receed when I take an antihistamine but if I skip it for even a day they flare up all over again. Its just unsightly and uncomfortable. Has anyone else dealt with this? Got any tips on making them lessen?

Thanks

Hives can be from so many things! Try to pay attention to what triggers them. Many of us are sun sensitive - is exposure to UVA or UVB light causing the flares? Sunscreen, covering up, hats all help that.

It could be some allergen - fabrics, detergents, dyes, foods. It is so hard to say! Talk with your doctor and your new rheumy.

If you do have SLE it is likely that you are sun sensitive. You could try, on your own, to religiously use sunblock (SPF 50 or higher), wear long sleeves and slacks, and a hat with a 4" or wider brim.

I wish you the best on your trip to the rheumy - and encourage you to take 2 copies of a list of questions you have - one for the rheumy and one for you. Take the time to get them answered, you deserve to be listened to and given honest answers.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Hello Joy,

I was one big massive hive. Well, many the size of dinner plates from neck to foot. Huge. For a thirty day stretch. At that time it was Tide. Today I could bath in Tide. They have allergen free detergents, check 'em out. Stress could be a trigger...oh, a myraid of things.

To comfort the skin I rinsed in oatmeal milk after a shower. No rinsing off.

Oatmeal Milk
    Oh about 1 c. oatmeal.
    Oh about 2 quarts of H20.
    Soak oats till water turns milky.
    Strain oats for reuse.
    Rinse from head to toe after showering.
    Pat skin dry, not rub...pat, pat, pat.

Also to warm of a shower/bath can provoke, irritate hives so don't stay too long...and keep it tepid..

Keep the nails clipped,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Hello Joy,

I was one big massive hive. Well, many the size of dinner plates from neck to foot. Huge. For a thirty day stretch. At that time it was Tide. Today I could bath in Tide. They have allergen free detergents, check 'em out. Stress could be a trigger...oh, a myraid of things.

To comfort the skin I rinsed in oatmeal milk after a shower. No rinsing off.

Oatmeal Milk
    Oh about 1 c. oatmeal.
    Oh about 2 quarts of H20.
    Soak oats till water turns milky.
    Strain oats for reuse.
    Rinse from head to toe after showering.
    Pat skin dry, not rub...pat, pat, pat.

Also to warm of a shower/bath can provoke, irritate hives so don't stay too long...and keep it tepid..

Keep the nails clipped,
    Oluwa

Thanks

How did that happen. :shock: Two posts. I didn't touch anything.

Thanks

Thats the same solution I use in the tub, how strange :shock: . I don't strain the oats though, just add it to my warm bath and stir it around good. Its very soothing, just be CAREFUL!! Can make the tub slippery when getting out. Those oatmeal soaps and lotions are good, just read the lable to make sure they have plenty of it in there. Some products only have small amounts, that way they can still truely claim there product has it. Make sure its first or second at least. Hope your skins doing well today .
    Cheryl