Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart murmurs?

Thanks

Default Heart murmurs?

hi everyone...

I had my third rheumy appt today and she said she definitely thinks I have lupus, but that all is looking pretty good and we are just basically monitoring to prevent any major problems.

She did, however, find a heart murmur today. She said it could be lupus related or it could just be that no one has ever caught it before. I frequently have heart palpitations too. But, she is doing a heart ultrasound just to make sure there is no fluid around my heart or something like that.

Anyone else have a heart murmur? I'm a bit anxious about it because I'm afraid it might be a sign of something more serious.

Thanks

I have had a heart murmur for most of my life. I was diagnosed just 18 mos ago, but like a lot of people I'm sure a lot of my health problems long before then were lupus-related. I'm not so sure about the heart murmur though - my rheumatologist never mentioned anything about that.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hi ladies,

I agree with Jody; I never was a "host" for so many auto-immune diseases until I was diagnosed with Lupus. Lupus just wears and tears our systems down one at a time.

I hope everything works out okay luvwine2007. It sounds like you have a good rhuemy.

Take care,

Faith

Thanks

Hi Luvwine,

When I got diagnosed I was kinda in that fun multi-organ attack mode so I did have fluid around my heart. With the steroids, it went away quick but they did find a slight murmur.
    It really has not meant much as I have moved back into the world of healthy normal blood work. I just avoid caffeine and take really good care of myself when I might be stressed out but that kinda goes with lupus territory.

Thanks

Hi luvwine

My heart used to race...but it has quieted down since I started my meds and have gone back to excersizing. My doctor monitors my blood pressure as I tend to run high in her office lol.

I check my BP at home and I'm fine. I took the BP machine into my doctor's office to make sure it would get the same readings as her machine and it did. So I told her she's the reason my blood pressure goes up. We both laughed and ever since then I have been well with in normal ranges.

I have cut back to one cup of coffee in the morning, only salt that is naturally in foods and even some of that I soak out. But I was already doing that stuff befor the papaltations (not sure of spelling lol I never am)
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi,
    About 5 months after I was diagnosed with lupus, I found out I had a heart murmur, too. After the ultrasound I was told that I had some mild tricuspid regurgitation and that it had probably always been there. They told me it was nothing to worry about. But they did recommend that I take antibiotics before dental procedures.

Hopefully. yours is no big deal, too. I figure they spend so much time running tests on me now, they're bound to find a few things that aren't related to my lupus.

Thanks

I had my ultrasound two weeks ago and I am still waiting to hear back the results. I hate waiting! It makes me worry more when I probably have nothing to worry about! lol

Thanks

hmmm, I had a doc tell me I had a heart murmur also, and then another doc later down the road said I didn't.
    Is a heart murmur something that comes and goes??

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think that, as we age, our heart murmurs go away. My son was born with a heart murmur and, as he got older, it eventually went away.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I have had a heart murmur for at least 18 years. I have mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. It was clearly visable on an echocardiogram back in 1995, and again in 1998. Then in about 2005 it was not at all visible on an echo, and it appeared to have just gone away, or at least wasn't doing anything noticable at that moment. Then, just this past year, the murmur was clearly audible by a simple stehescope. I think the murmur itself is more a symptom, and they can come and go depending on how the condition is ebbing and flowing. Perhaps the lupus is in a flare or something when the positive murmur tests are done, and not so much when they can't hear it.

That's just my guess. Either way, even though most people with a murmur never have the least bit of trouble with it, you should still stay on top of it and have your doctor monitoring it as part of your regular visits. It just makes sense to take our body's signals seriously and notice when it is trying to tell us something, even if it is just as minor as saying "Hey, sit down and rest for a minute!"