Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Low body temperature

Thanks

I was remembering a conversation i had with my primary doctor who had been my doctor since i was about 6 (amazing doctor if you live in the seattle area) and i had always had a low temperature he said it was a combination of poor circulation apparently common amongst people with inflamitory issues along with limbs that turn purple or extremly cold and frankly being a small person.

Thanks

This is so funny. I was talking to my mom last night and apparently low temps run in our family. Her gp told her that people with lower body temps as a rule live longer! There are actually a number of scientific studies that suggest that lower body temp does coincide with a longer lifespan. I was going to post a couple, but they are all subscription scientific journals... I did a google search (low body temperature lifespan), but again all the articles I found that were reputable were restricted access.

AB
    AB

Thanks

Sorry Oluwa, not meaning to barge in on your post here. I needed to ask, should I call the doc if body temp is 93.8? Like I said, I used to have temps of 97-98. Now 94-95 (mainly steady at 95). I've been queezy, tired, foggy headed, joint and muscle pain, all around crappy. Just wondering because I've never had a temp this low before. Am I over reacting? :?
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi Cheryl,

How are you today besides being cold...and No, you're not barging in...It is all of ours...

I would see a doctor..that is definitely too low. How many times during the day have you temped? At least three Cheryl? AM, mid-day and PM.

Could be a myraid of things that could cause it...
    Thyroid
    Diabetes
    Infection...

Just found this from the Mayo Clinic...

normal human body temperature is usually stated as 98.6 F (37 C) orally, it actually ranges from 97.5 to 98.8 F (36.4 to 37.1 C). Some people have temperatures in the 96 F range and feel fine. Your body temperature is not considered dangerously low until it is below 95 F (35 C).

Mild reductions in body temperature are often temporary and don't indicate a serious problem or condition. For example, your temperature normally is lower in the morning than in the evening. The most common cause of a lower-than-normal body temperature is exposure to cold. But occasionally, a low body temperature can indicate an underlying problem or condition, such as:

Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
    Diabetes
    Adrenal gland insufficiency (Addison's disease)
    Hypothalamus dysfunction
    Liver failure
    Kidney failure
    Widespread infection (sepsis)
    Excessive use of alcohol or illicit drugs
    A side effect of certain medications, such as phenothiazines, barbiturates, opiates, clonidine, lithium and benzodiazepines
    If your low body temperature persists, consult your doctor.

Till then keep warm...layers to peel off, as the temp goes up...
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I've been tested again recently for all those. Everything keeps coming back normal. Temp in house is 71, outside 68. I test temp only when not feeling well, a couple times to be acurate. Randomly now and then just to see if there's any change when feeling well. Got temp up to 95.2 now, drinking some water to increase blood flow and a blanket. Hubby gripes when I call doc, says I'm acting like I want something to be wrong and becoming a hypocondriac (sp?). Yeah right, like that's the case. Thanks for such a quick response, I'll check temp in a little while again before calling doc though. I know I should now, just hearing hubby's gripping in my head :roll: .

By the way, has anyone heard from Saysusie. She OK? I haven't seen her up on the boards in a while (maybe I'm blind and just haven't noticed). Just checking, I don't mean to bother if it turns out I'm blind and can't even see her name. ops:
    Cheryl

Thanks

Ooops, silly me. I see her name now, I swear I didn't before :? . Sorry Saysusie, so used to seeing your name that I could have sworn I didn't see it. Totally ops: , I feel foolish.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Cheryl,

Let him gripe... :shock:

I don't understand why it bothers anyone if we were hypochondriacs or not. Unless it was affecting our mental well being and we were extreme about ah lets say a cut.

Avoiding care can be more hazardous to ones health then seeking it. And avoiding care because we are afraid someone may think we are hypochondriacs is just as hazardous. I think.

We have Lupus, a diagnose, and it comes with many symptoms, secondary diseases and illnesses. So, I don't understand why one would think it is all in our minds unless they know very little about the disease. And with that, I would follow up with, then they should learn. Until then I am going to the doctors...no permission required..

Keep warm till you see the doctor..
    Oluwa

Thanks

I know your right, I have no idea why it bothers me so. I have to see my mother-in-law today (yee-haw :roll: ), she's a nurse. I'll bite my tongue and ask her. Another thing that doesn't help with hubby's attitude is that I've 3 different dx, all tooken back. Only thing permenent he'll say is that it's deffinately a connective tissue disorder. With doc going back and forth, it doesn't help with getting hubby to understand. With the temp thing, he says it's probably hormonal and will balance out (his answer to everything :x ). Temp dropped to 93.4 last night, got it up to 95 again, so going to try to find answer today. I know this sounds like an excuse for hubby, but he is a good guy. Just won't admit when I'm sick, like I'm the one person who can't or something. Its the one problem we have in our marriage, his refusal to listen to me not feeling well and need to see a doc. I appriciate your advice on calling doc, thanks to you I put my foot down and told him regaurdless what his mom says today, I'm still going to call doc and ask his advice too Monday. Thanks for everything, I really do appreciate your incite .
    Cheryl

Thanks

Cheryl,

I am sure he is a wonderful guy and I don't feel you are making excuses for him. We can complain about those who we love, I do...We do it out of frustration. We do it out of feeling misunderstood but not because of the lack of love we have for them.

When we don't have a broken arm or leg, or a band-aid wrapped around our head..looking like a mummy how could we be sick people would think. It would be like describing snow to someone who lives in the desert..a hard feat.

How I have handle that within myself is to understand and accept they don't get it no matter how many metaphors, visuals I use or try to relate it to experiences they may have had. In the end it is less stressful for me.

My one liner is. It is Lupus, not me that doesn't want to play. Today I want to be in the sand box..IT doesn't...Urg--gggg.

What did mum-in-law say...?

You're welcome Cheryl,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Thanks for understanding, he can be such a pain. Mum-in-law said she was unsure, normally body temps low due to low bp. My bp has been a liitle high lately, so the two together makes no since. Unfortunately she's like hubby and thinks there is nothing wrong with me either. Even over what doc said it was, she thinks he's just saying that to make me happy or something, aaahhhh :x . Oh well. I'll call doc tomorrow, forgot it was a holiday so he was closed. Thanks for asking, ta-ta.
    Cheryl