Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low body temperature

Thanks

Default Low body temperature

Is anyone's body in sub freezing temps...low body temperature?

I sweat, heat waves..like going from a house comforted with A/C then out the door into a humid, sticky climate of 100 degrees in the shade. Yet my temperature is low when hot or cold. I get the chills, hands, feet and nose cold.

Trying to gather personal experience from everyone. Not much luck on the Internet except with Hypothyroidism...but when my PCP tested TSH they seemed little concerned since it came back in the normal range. I know others tests can be conducted. I had scheduled and canceled since I am having draws for others tests after Valentine's Day. Gut crud. Two for one.

Do you have low temperatures from...
    Thyroid?
    Menopause?
    Drugs?
    Lupus?

Do tell..

Me, 46...female, no eggs, Lupus, lost weight, gained weight involuntarily...THS 3.134 normal range and I enjoy the beach and my favorite food is sliced tomatoes with fresh basil.

Not feeling too swell lately,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Hi Oluwa,

I thought it was just me. My normal body temp is about 97 degrees. So when I have a fever of 99.5, I am 2.5 degrees above normal for me. Added on top of all the other symptoms, a lupus fever can make me feel pretty crummy.

Mari Anna

Thanks

Hi Oluwa,

I thought it was just me too. My normal resting temp is 94-96. Whenever I am above it, I am burning up. Lately though I seem to be cold more in the Winter than ever before.

I like Subway, peanut butter sandwiches, and Red Lobster. I know, whew, what a combination.

Tata,

Faith

Thanks

Hi Mari Anna,

That 2.5 would be like 101.1 of somewho had a normal temp, or should I say average of 98.6.

Thank you for your reply....

And how has Lupus been to you today? Fairing alright, considering what Lupus is.

Be well,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Hello Faith,

My norm used to be 99 for years. I don't know when it changed. When were doing INVITRO, I took my temperature daily to see if I was about to lay an egg. And it wasn't low then.

But as of late...When I heat up like a light bulb there is no rise in temperature...crazy. It gets old waking up with wet wrinkled PJ's. I look worn, used and stringy hair.

I don't think it is my norm..I think I have something wrong with me...and I just dread going to the doctors. Not only because of explaining my woes, but the wait..then leaving with another yucka added to the list.

Red Lobster....Ship Wreck Bloody Marys. Tried them? If not, do...

Current temp inside me...96.3. Current temp outside 72. Current house temp 73, heats on and I am freezing.

Burrrr...r.r.r.r
    Oluwa

Thanks

Hi Oluwa,

Sounds like you are being whacked about by the big L today. It's probably time to go pay your doc a visit.

Me, I'm trying to stay calm, stay calm. I had a brain MRI yesterday and have an upcoming neuropsych test. My internist suspects CNS vasculitis. My head feels like it will split in two...I'm trying to choose to enjoy life anyway but it does take some determination.

I hope you get some rest and relief!

Peace out,
    Mari Anna

Thanks

Hi Mari Anna,

Yep, for a spell now...in and out. Up down...backwards forward. Yet I land in the same place. Icky.

I don't know if this will alleviate your type of headache, tie a scarf that has been folded into a 2 inch band and tie it around your forehead. May help to distribute the blood from pooling and dilating in one place.

A Finnish remedy my Mum and Grandmum taught me...

Please let us know about the MRI and other tests, the outcome.

Thank you for the well wishes...I for you too.

Over n Out,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Hello Oluwa -

I writing from my own private icehouse....and I thought I was the only one who experiences this ridiculously subfreezing climate when everyone else around me is putting on tanning lotion....

I don't know if this low body temperature has to do with the Lupus or not. I, like you, also have normal thyroid tests. I'm just going to blame it on the big "L." It's easier that way.

Sorry to hear you have been a little under the weather. Also sorry for all of the weather puns. They were totally unintended.

Wishing you well,

Jana :lol:

Thanks

Yes, yes, yes! I also have low body temperature. "Normal" seems to be about 97F - I don't know WHEN that started. I've mentioned it to my rheumatologist and she didn't seem to think that was unusual - apparently, lots of people have low (or high) normal temps. But, I do alternate between absolutely freezing (I'm wrapped in a down blanket right now - and it's 73 in my house) to feeling like I'm trapped in a tropical rain forest - and looking like a wet dog. My temperature doesn't change when I'm hot either - it's still low. So, this is odd...what could that mean do you suppose?

I should say that I do get "lupus fevers" sometimes, but it's been a while. The plaquenil seemed to have kicked that symptom pretty well.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Jody,

Heat Wave, wasn't that a song? It should be playing now.

Night sweats aka nocturnal hyperhydrosis...

I suspect it is hypothyroidism. I did a bit or research was it last week and this is what I read. Not verbatim...TSH can be normal despite having hypothyroidism. Others test should include T3, T4 and Thyroxine to rule it out...and I am growing again. 127lbs. About 14lbs in 2 months..but then I was up to 135 last fall, before I dropped to 113lb.

Low basal temperature is an indicator of a slow metabolic rate or an efficient one if you do lots of calorie burning exercise. Can explain the cold, chills too.

Menopause? Perimenopause? Last monthly event was in July 07, and the one before that was July 06..humm. The declining level of estrogen hormones during menopause is responsible for the malfunction of the hypothalamus (heat regulatory area), which detects an increased body temperature and releases chemicals that cause the skin blood vessels to dilate so the heat can be released, thus triggering the night sweats. This process may also be accompanied by cold shivering. Can explain the dewy nights...

Steroids, supress fevers? Hiding possible infection?

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/h/hype.../diagnosis.htm

And despite all that info I will go to bed tonight and wake up about four times to wringing wet sheets and PJs that they look like they were wrung out by hand...

Sweat Dreams, I mean Sweet Dreams,
    Oluwa