Thread: sunblock suggestions?

Thanks

Default sunblock suggestions?

What's the best sunblock on the market (good for both outdoor UV and indoor fluorescent-light protection)?

Thanks

Hi Concerned Father,

Many of us use what is in our local Wal-Mart, spray gel or regular lotion. Some members have a favorite sunscreen and others don't. It is really personal preference; make sure it is 50 SPF.

I use the spray gel (Banana Boat, SPF 50) for Summer and the lotion (No-Add) lotion for Winter; SPF50. Make sure it is rated SPF 30 minimum; preferably 50 SPF. I put on sunscreen prior to make-up first thing in the morning. Right around the end of September I make a trip to Wal-Mart in order to stock up for the Winter and Spring months. The spray gel lasts longer and doesn't have to be re-applied which is a plus in the Summer when it is hot and lotion has be to re-applied every 2-3 hours. I keep a spare spray bottle in my car in case I forget to put it on with make-up.

The darker the clothes the better and a dark hat. Clothing made out of nylon is sun proof. Another option is to check out the coolibar website that sells UV clothing. They are currently having a sale on hats, pants, and blouses. Keep receipts for uv clothing and sunscreens as they are medically necessary if diagnosed Lupus DLE (sunsensative). I love coolibar's clothes and it saves me several steps if all I have to put on is sunblock on my face and hands only.

They can be written off as a medical expense in regards to yearly taxes as long as you have a doctor's note. The same goes for tinting car windows and house windows with UV film in order to protect ourselves from the sun. I hope I haven't thrown too much at you, and I hope this info helps. Your daughter is very fortunate to have someone who cares sooo much.

Take care,

Faith 8)

Thanks

Faith has given some wonderful advice! In fact, when I go to Walmart later today, I'm going to look for the spray gel sunblock - I havent tried that.

Sunblock clothing can be found on many sites, Coolibar, which Faith mentions, is one of the best. I also look at stores for polyester or heavy cotton that you can hold up to the light and NOT see through. Also
    http://www.sunprecautions.com/
    http://www.sungrubbies.com/

As you might guess, my #1 suggestion is a hat with a wide (4" or wider) brim. Here area couple of my favorite sites...
    http://www.villagehatshop.com/great_outdoor.html
    http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/...slargebrimhats (How can you beat a name like "Hats in the Belfry?")
    http://www.headcovers.com/

8)
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

If you have a Gander Mountain store nearby, they carry a quite inexpensive brand of UV protective clothing (shirts, pants). Lot less expensive than some of the others I've found.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

After I posted I remembered another product that can be WONDERFUL... Rit "Sunguard" - it is a product that you use in the washing machine with hot water, it puts a UV block into the clothes. Says it lasts 30 washings, I haven't tested...I just redo my summer "big shirts" each year. I found it at Hobby Lobby, you can probably find it anywhere that has Rit dyes.

About $3 a box, and a box does a whole load. It does not alter the color of the clothing when used properly.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

there is a 70spf on the market... i saw it at walmart

Thanks

Hi Hatlady,

Have you used the Sunguard? I have seen it though wasn't sure if it really "lasted." I am not sure if you will find it in the Winter at Wal-Mart. I noticed that when I spray it on in the bathroom prior to putting on make-up, it makes a cloudy outline on my tile thats kind of sticky after many repeated uses. It can easily be mopped up.

Hey Jody,

I will google and see if there is a Gander Mountain website. Thanks for the heads up.

Jesseyleigh,

Thank you for updating us on the 70spf. I haven't seen that one yet; I will look for it.

Take care,

Faith 8)

Thanks

I personally like Neutrogena brand, especially if you have sensitive skin and for face. Some brands have a lot of oil and chemicals in them and can cause rashes or acne breakouts. Neutrogena makes oil free versions for faces, too. I've seen this at Target.

Also, I like Alba brand, too. It has a nice, light lavender scent and less chemicals than a lot of other brands. I've found it at Natural food stores and Trader Joes before.

Good luck finding what works for you!
    Missy

Thanks

Default Sunscreen

I went to the Mayo Clinic last summer and the dermatologist I saw recommended Anthelios. He said its very good for Lupus patients. it protects against UVA and UVB. You can find it online, its not the cheapest, but its very high quality. I use it on my face and use regular sunscreen everywhere else.