Thread: So appalled!!!

Thanks

Default So appalled!!!

I had a frustrating discovery today, there is actually a company who encourages people to report handicap fraud... basically anyone who looks fine should be reported on this website as a fraud. Being someone who looks perfectly fine and often being harassed for my legal placard i find this extremely offensive. It frankly hacks me off and i wish i could bring them down! handicappedfraud dot org

Thanks

Default Handicap Fraud

I am with you - I think people are quick to judge, and that is not our job as humans. I run into the same sort of harrassment from people. Sometimes they don't even wait for me to get out of my car, to see if I am slow, stumbling, using an assistive device, etc. They start yelling at me as I am parking!! (Of course, when I get out with my wheelchair, I just smile and tell them to have a nice day!) You may not have a device or a wheelchair, but you know in your own mind and heart why you have that placard, so don't let them get to you. Hopefully, these witch hunters will catch some actual frauds, and cause little harrassment to those of us who genuinely deserve those spaces. It is the best we can hope for. Because there ARE people who use another's placard, or lie to doctors to get them. Unfortunately, those "bad" people cause problems for the rest of us. Obviously that site was started by crusaders who want to stamp out the fraud, but haven't stopped to consider the problems they might cause to innocent people. Lupus is one of those diseases that cause us difficulties not easily seen by others, so we run into things like this.
    My heart goes out to you in your frustration.

Susan

Thanks

I just cant justify harassment and a witch hunt... posting personal information online is wrong! They often post pictures of the person or the car

Thanks

Oh, my goodness! That is awful! It really is a witch hunt! Is what they are doing even legal? SaySusie, do you know?

Susan

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

My daughter was reported, while away at college, because she "looked fine" and had a handicap sticker on her car. However, the only thing that happened was that they informed her that someone had reported her and that they immediately dismissed it because she did have a valid handicap sticker. They apologized if she had been distressed or bothered at all by the complaint and told her that she could call a number (they provided) if she needed any help at all. They spoke about understanding how some diseases do not represent themselves as physical disabilities etc. I thought that was very considerate of them to notify her and support her in the same letter.
    I say all of this to say that, if you have a legitimate handicap sticker, don't overstress yourself about ignorant people who report you! Chalk it up to their ignorance.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

While I find it appalling that anyone without a handicap would use a space fraudulently, I'd never assume that a person using a space did not DESERVE to use that space. We all know that so many conditions that limit mobility and ability to walk far are invisible. We all know that 100 yards is a snap for some and a marathon for others.

I wasnt able to go to the site, will try it later. But if that site were to report individuals to some government agency, so that they could PRIVATELY check, that's fine. But if it is a "MySpace" kind of posting - that is awful.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

That's outrageous! I think some well-meaning groups become over zealous and assume it's their role in the world to champion their chosen cause, even at the risk of steam-rolling innocent bystanders. I know those folks are out there. When I had a handicapped permit, I was so self-conscious about using it, I would find myself looking around before I got out of the car. I had a very pronounced limp during that time, and often used a cane, so once I got out of the car it was pretty apparent I needed the permit. Still, I was sure there were those out there judging me. Sad....
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Isn't it interesting how those who have a legitimate reason for using such a space may be so self conscious about using it while those who would misuse the space I suspect are losing no sleep over it. My kids and I were nearly run down in a parking lot by a man trying to get to a space before anyone else could take it. The space was very clearly marked ' Expectant Mother parking Only'. Of course he did not respond when I asked him " How pregnant are you? ", but the boys and I did get a chuckle ( yes, I am easily amused). I am a bit surprised that people actually bother to get a fake permit. I am not surprised over zelous do gooders would go overboard trying to prevent or catch them. As usual, I have no good advice to give that has not already been given, other than did not stress too much over others' stupidity, it is not worth your pain.
    Take care All
    Laura

Thanks

For them to use the domain dot org is misleading to the public. Hardly an official site in any manner....just another person taking up a crusade in something that afflicts him or a relative supposedly. Shame on them for making it appear "Official."

Notice how they don't have proper contact information, origination and etc...beware. Just like a cyber pharmacy and etc.

Just a waste of space, cyberspace.

Odd, cyberspace sells like real estate...hummm. Crazy world. Just like buying a stuffed animal and naming a star after you....anything for a dollar. Somebody always wanting my dollar.

Notice the site is selling bloomers for $15.00. They would make excellent chef hats!

ORG is their gimmick since anyone can use that address now...tisk tisk...

Night,
    Oluwa