Thread: Still very low in iron

Thanks

Default Still very low in iron

Hi everybody,

Hope everyone is well and happy..... oh well at least happy! When was the last time any of us were well

Just got some blood work back from docs and still extremely low in iron after taking a heavy duty iron deficiency supplement twice daily. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? I am only on Plaquenil so wouldn't be induced by meds.

Interested to find out others' experiences and what may be of help.

Thanks,

Kaz :P

Thanks

I tend to have the opposite problem, too much iron. As far as I hear, many people with autoimmune problems have low iron. I have to be careful of iron rich foods. Maybe these iron rich foods can help you. They're organ meats, beef and other meats, poultry, fish, and eggs. Plant wise is beans and peas, tofu and other soy products, dates raisins, dried appricots, and blackstrap molasses. Breads and cereals are good sources too. Vitamin C increases the absorption of iron, eat plenty of citrus fruit to help. Cut down on bran, spinach and rhubarb, they hinder the absorption of iron. Zinc and calcium suppliments, antacids, coffee, and tea also reduce iron absorption. I hope this helps you, may your next blood test come back good.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Default Thanks Cheryl

I will try those things and see if we can both get some normality happening! :lol:

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Blood disorders are common in lupus. The most common blood disorder is anemia and it affects half of all people with active lupus. Anemia is measured and discussed in several different ways, including a low red blood cell count, low hemoglobin, or low hematocrit. Each doctor usually has a preference for using a particular term. In the most important sense, anemia means too little hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is the protein inside red cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to all the tissues of the body. Fatigue, a very common lupus symptom, is generally the first and most common symptom of anemia.
    Normal red blood cells live only 120 days (about four months) and must constantly be produced by the bone marrow. Anemia is reduced red cell production. Many doctors feel that this may be due to inflammation; kidney problems (when the kidneys do not produce enough of the hormone, erythropoietin, that stimulates the marrow to make more red cells); iron deficiency (without which hemoglobin cannot be made—iron deficiency may result from menstrual bleeding or from intestinal bleeding due to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs); or direct depression of the bone marrow by certain lupus drugs (such as azathioprine or cyclophosphamide). Intestinal bleeding can be obvious if the stool is red, maroon, or pitch black in color, but often bleeding is so slow and gradual that special stool tests are needed to detect the bleeding.
    The treatment of anemia in lupus depends on its cause. Inflammation can be reduced with drugs such as prednisone. For iron deficiency, iron given orally, such as ferrous sulfate or ferrous gluconate, is almost always effective. In the case of bleeding, the source should be determined in order to correct the problem. Erythropoietin or darbepoietin may be given to individuals with kidney problems to stimulate the bone marrow to make more red blood cells. The same may be given to patients with anemia who are taking azathioprine or cyclophosphamide. For hemolysis due to antibodies, prednisone and other drugs are often helpful, but sometimes the best treatment is splenectomy. This is an abdominal surgery to remove the spleen (which may be done laparoscopically, that is, with small incisions in the abdominal wall).

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!