Thread: New to this site and adjusting to life with lupus

Thanks

Default New to this site and adjusting to life with lupus

Hi there, I'm new to this site....I was diagnosed almost exactly one year ago and have come a long way through the grieving process (on most days, ha). But there are still plenty of days where it's a challenge to adjust to my new self that can't do the things I used to do. I was a very active person and loved having a lot going on in my life. I had so many things I looked forward to experiencing and achieving.

So.....I am slowly adjusting to my new set of circumstances and coming up with alternate activities. Instead of going to the gym for an intense workout, I take a short walk in the park with my dog. I gave up pottery and took up photography (no heavy clay to lug around!). I do most everything in little bites and don't make many plans in advance, just wait and see if I'm going to feel well enough when the time comes. I'm trying hard to see these adjustments as new opportunities rather than dwelling on what has been taken away by lupus. I think it is going to be very important for my outlook and mental health. But it's not always an easy thing, ya know?

Thanks

Hi Mackie,

Welcome to our family and forum. It is very frustrating in the beginning; though I think you are very smart in replacing do-able activities. It is very important on your outlook and mental health; but you are right it is not always easy.

I used to run 5 miles per day and swim 1 hour; no longer able to. I really miss the water and I am thinking of joining the Arthritis Association's pool. The water is heated and it is inside so there is no chance of sunlight and flares.

You are definately headed in the right direction.

Welcome & take care,

Faith 8)

Thanks

Welcome... from me as well.. all I can say is that everyone here is so supportive and caring. I to am adjusting to all this as well - since the summer - but feeling not so well since about a year or so ago. Anyway my suggestion is take it easy and the biggest thing is talk about it.