Thread: information on pain patch?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default information on pain patch?

I was wondering if anybody has information on pain patches. Do they work and I have a problem with pain meds because of my liver. My lupus hit my liver not my kidneys. I have to take meds that dont metabolize to much thew the liver. any info would be helpful

thanks

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Reducing and managing pain is one of the major concerns when treating Lupus (reducing inflammation is the other major concern). Lupus pain is a pervasive, chronic, and sometimes an overwhelming aspect of our lives. We deal with it every single day, and sometimes every minute of the day and so getting relief is as important as breathing!
    Fentanyl Transdermal (Otherwise known as the Duragesic patch), is a narcotic analgesic and is often used for postoperative pain, as well as for chronic pain (like we experience with Lupus). The patches come in varying strengths, from 25 to 100 mcg of fentanyl per hour. They are applied to the upper torso and can be worn for up to 72 hours.
    The advantage to this type of pain medication is that there are no pills to swallow or injections to take. The disadvantage is that when you have the patch on, you usually can't take any other pain medication, so if it isn't working, you have to wait to try something else.
    There are also other side effects, including confusion, dizziness, nausea, and depression. Some of the more dangerous side effects are seizures, arrythmias, chest pain, or respiratory depression.
    Because this is a narcotic pain medication, there is also the potential for abuse or even dependence. Not everyone who needs pain medication automatically becomes a drug addict, so do not dismiss using this medication based upon that fear. Also, if a patient has no previous history of drug abuse or dependence, then doctors should be willing to offer this medication for pain relief.
    Make sure that you do not have any allergic reaction to adhesives before using the patch. If you do have a reaction (called contact dermatitis) it might be a little bothersome but not enough to stop using the patch. If it is very bothersome, you can cut off the adhesive and tape it to your skin with a tape that you do not have an allergic reaction to and it will work just as well.
    I wish you the very best!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

My doc gave me some of the pain patches and they do work for a while. The only problem is that they cause a minor rash that is sort of itchy........

......and I can't cover my whole body with them.LOLOL

No really you should try them they do take the edge off of the pain.

IN Him,

Karen

Thanks

Default Pain patches

I used the Duragesic patches for about a year, and I found them very helpful, once they got into my blood stream. Took a few days. My doc was kind enough to offer a little "kick" of what he called "break through" pain medication, as well. It was only Darvocet N (a very low dose narcotic, but containing Tylenol, so you couldn't use that one), but when I over did it (don't we all?) and hurt beyond the help of the patch, one or two of those got me through a rough patch. Of course, he always lectured me that I just shouldn't overdo, then laughs, because he knows that advice is not heeded. It is so difficult to go from being a vibrant, always on the go person, to someone constantly reminded of your limitations - but I digress. Go for the patches - in your case, the localized rash (I got it, too, Karen) is probably worth the relief of pain without taxing your liver so much. Good luck!

Susan