Pardon me if jump all over the place. The last two weeks have been a whirlwind...

First of all, I want to say thank you to ALL the people here who have answered questions and calmed fears and offered support. Reading the archives have proven to be very enlightening for me about Lupus.

And so, I pose my own questions....

My spouse has been diagnosed SLE. She is young - 24. She had no idea she even had Lupus to begin with.

She is diabetic as well so the steroids are making her blood sugar WAY too high...

She is in another state right now, at a hospital while they are putting her through dialysis 3x a week.

I have been doing as much research as I possibly can on Lupus but... I still have so many questions.

Is there a chance her kidneys will actually start responding to treatment? Or will she have to stay on dialysis until they doctors decide to put on the transplant list?

Also, how can diabetics deal with the steroids and high blood sugar simultaneously? She was never an insulin dependent diabetic - we had her blood sugar controlled very well with herbal supplements, exercise and diet.

Supplements can't really tackle blood sugar in the 600's as quickly as insulin can (hence why they put her on it).

As an autoimmune disease, basically, we have to weaken her immune system so it stops attacking her kidneys? Does that mean that the flu or a common cold could potentially be fatal?

Thank you again everyone.