Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is the best place to live?

Thanks

rosiedi,
    no was never on that board. My youngest child is seven born in 2000 in Haiti.
    I last gave birth in 1994.

Its nice to meet ya tho

Peace, Kasey

Thanks

No new news yet. We are still looking.
    I guess tho that we have decided that we need to try to live near a big city.
    Kinda a hard thought tho for this country girl.

Peace, Kasey

Thanks

Hey kasey,

It depends where you go. I live in Texas near both Dallas and Ft worth, and we are in a smaller suburb and there are places out here with cattle and horses. Not exactly country, but the best that we can do and not be too far out from schools and hospitals. I am sure that there are many other states with country (ish) suburbs.

With a whisper and a prayer,

Karen

Thanks

I can't help jumping into this conversation....just short of living in the world famous rain jungle...I would have to rate Seattle right up there in the cooler temperate zones, a fair amount of clouds, and overall I love the green and blue scenery (mountains and lakes)...being from New Mexico, I still get excited every time I see water.

There have been so many great posts, I too wonder about places that have the greatest impact for research and funding. I am amazed how prevalent lupus is in our society, yet you never hear about fundraisers or even news research. As my disease progresses, I find it extremely difficult to be out in the full sunlight...so I walk just before sunrise...and just around sunset....I do my grocery shopping after dark (bonus...no crowds)....

Funny how we have to adapt to a different lifestyle isn't it? It was difficult at first, but after awhile it becomes routine, and second nature. I believe that this is hands down the BEST lupus support website I've found....and ALL of the members are so encouraging and many with wisdom to help us all.

I wish you the best in your brave new adventure. The web is a great tool while investigating locations, you may also look at who's doing extenstive research...and studies.

Soggy & Soaked in Seattle (smile),
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

Default Best place to live

I have to chime in there with BrownEyedGirl. I live in the suburbs of Seattle, and I find the weather better than the sunnier areas. There is still sun here, despite what many believe, just long periods (comparatively) of over cast skies and rain - particularly in winter. But there is little snow to fight in winter, and no serious temp extremes in summer. Lots of trees for protection from direct sunlight, too.
    I have a rheumy in Seattle who is with the University of Washington, and he is constantly participating in clinical trials. I was on one for two years, receiving Rituxin (a chemo agent to control B-cell lymphocytes). He is very "cutting edge." The damp cold is hard on my rheumatic joints, but that is really my only complaint with the area. So, the suggestions given to you: check on UV ratings, good rheumys, clinical trials, all are things that help to make a "Lupus friendly" area. I did think of one more thing, though, that actually makes this area less attractive: the traffic. The stress of the terrible traffic is so bad for Lupus sufferers, and there is no relief in site. Traffic considerations might be useful to you, too.
    Good luck in your search!

Susan

Thanks

I grew up in Seattle and moved here to Florida and each has their good and bad... if you are prone to migraines Seattle killed me however i did have amazing doctors and there were plenty of disabled spots. In Florida however i seem to flare so much less here however its a fight with the elderly for that spot (then they cuss you out for taking it and being "perfectly fine"...jerks) i lived in Texas for a summer so far i think Florida has been the most friendly inspite of the extreme UV its amazing how much shade there really is

Thanks

My wife and I have struggled with her Lupus Since 1994. And have lived and/or traveled across the U. S.. If money is no object the best for climate is the Bay Area or Seattle is best.
    In San Fransisco it is breezy and 60-70 year round. The further inland the warmer the temp. The bay area also has great transit and doctors that are more sympathetic to your pain.
    We currently live in Texas and it is very Hot. A large percentage of the doctors are more interested in their pocketbook than research and true patient care. My wife flies to San Francisco for her treatments. Hope this helps.